Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Terrible experience with Hertz renting a car with a child seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terrible experience with Hertz renting a car with a child seat

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
I'd suggest you get some education on the subject and not spread misinformation. ..
Fully agree with you here.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Having installed quite a few car seats on rental cars (all from hertz) i can not possibly imagine how it may take 1.5 hr. OP's frustration is understandable but stems primarily from to assumption that hertz would preinstall seats. USA is the land of lawsuits (some just, some rather frivolous) so unfortunately this is a side effect.. .

Those who push the idea of bringing own seats can perhaps explain how that would be practical for OP who struggled with existing luggage as is...

Speculation that somehow rental car seats are damaged/expired is nothing but fearmongering - we've been through this discussion quite a few times on this forum.
Dirty - possibly although with hertz i never encountered that - they were almost always brought in wrapped in plastic.

Furthermore for OP - using AAA CDP (1 will do) still includes one car seat for free - no need to pay $7-10/day. Posting those questions here ahead of your trip could have made it much easier for you. Cheers.
This discussion is very important and far from "fearmongering". I wish I had read this forum before renting car seats from Hertz. I can absolutely GUARANTEE I will never do so again. Luckily, we checked the seats over and found a HUGE issues before we left on the road.

Upon putting my 3 year old daughter in the car seat that we got from Hertz, we went to buckle her in and she sat forward falling out of the seat as the straps broke. I took her out of the seat to find that the car seat straps had been completely chewed through on the underside of the seat by a rat or mouse and the bottom of the car seat scratched up from the animal's teeth. There was also rodent droppings all over the bottom of the seat. Not only is this extremely unsanitary, it is also EXTREMELY dangerous. Had she not leaned forward or I hadn't checked the tightness of the straps, if we were to be in a crash, those belts would have given way and we would be dealing with a very tragic circumstance. Upon returning to the Hertz location, I showed them the seat and they stated that they would get another. No sense of how dangerous this was and the danger they put my family in. I asked if they inspected the seats and they said they just vacuum them out. No inspection. The car seats were stored on a wooden shelf in a shed, no plastic bags, no climate control, no protection from animals or bugs. Children's lives are at risk and I can tell you I will NEVER put my child in another Hertz vehicle and highly doubt I will ever be in one either.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JJohnsonAZ
This discussion is very important and far from "fearmongering". I wish I had read this forum before renting car seats from Hertz. I can absolutely GUARANTEE I will never do so again. Luckily, we checked the seats over and found a HUGE issues before we left on the road.

Upon putting my 3 year old daughter in the car seat that we got from Hertz, we went to buckle her in and she sat forward falling out of the seat as the straps broke. I took her out of the seat to find that the car seat straps had been completely chewed through on the underside of the seat by a rat or mouse and the bottom of the car seat scratched up from the animal's teeth. There was also rodent droppings all over the bottom of the seat. Not only is this extremely unsanitary, it is also EXTREMELY dangerous. Had she not leaned forward or I hadn't checked the tightness of the straps, if we were to be in a crash, those belts would have given way and we would be dealing with a very tragic circumstance. Upon returning to the Hertz location, I showed them the seat and they stated that they would get another. No sense of how dangerous this was and the danger they put my family in. I asked if they inspected the seats and they said they just vacuum them out. No inspection. The car seats were stored on a wooden shelf in a shed, no plastic bags, no climate control, no protection from animals or bugs. Children's lives are at risk and I can tell you I will NEVER put my child in another Hertz vehicle and highly doubt I will ever be in one either.
People really need to inspect the car seats they get from car rental companies. A lot of them are indeed in very poor condition -- whether it's obvious from external appearance or not -- but what you seem to have experienced sounds extraordinarily bad. Did you complain in writing to Hertz, and what feedback did you get from Hertz after any such written correspondence?

Rodents chewing on CRS straps in personal passenger vehicles also happens. People really need to inspect the car seats they have in their own personal vehicles too. Installation and device flaws in personally owned vehicles is also a substantial contributing factor to vehicular injuries and deaths of children in CRS devices. Most vehicle injury/fatalities of children take place when the children are in their own family's cars and family-owned CRS devices within an hour drive's of their residence.

Traveling with one's own CRS device as gate-checked luggage or as checked-in luggage also poses risks. If people could buy a new CRS device at their destination without leaving the airport, that would likely be one of the safest options. But that's most commonly not all that readily a very affordable possibility.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Given the crazy rates rental car companies charge for car seats, it never made sense to rent them. It was always cheaper to bring our own. Had the advantage of being familiar with it, so installation wasn't an issue.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
Given the crazy rates rental car companies charge for car seats, it never made sense to rent them. It was always cheaper to bring our own. Had the advantage of being familiar with it, so installation wasn't an issue.
It is indeed often even cheaper to bring or even buy a new car seat than to rent a CRS device from the car rental companies, and being able to properly install a car seat does make a world of difference in the off chance that there's a serious accident.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJohnsonAZ
..Children's lives are at risk and I can tell you I will NEVER put my child in another Hertz vehicle and highly doubt I will ever be in one either.
Welcome to FT!
Thank you for taking the time to register and post about your rather shocking experience with Hertz.
Please do come back and let us know what Hertz corporate had to say about this situation at one of their locations (surely you let them know right?)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.