Travelling to Canada

Old Mar 26, 17, 5:07 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Travelling to Canada

All being well will be going to Canada in July with my youngest who'll be 11 months by then, have noted with interest that only Canadian car seats can be used over there, my little one is under the weight limit for a forward facer seat as it is and at this rate unlikely to be over it by July so as the plan is to fly BA (we're flying from LHR) now have to weigh up whether to have him as a lap infant or debate whether he'll be ok to sit in own seat, seeing as I don't own a car seat he could use on a plane that he's within the weight limit for nor would I be able to use it in Canada if I did! I notice also that the weight limit for CARES is likely also to be out of our reach, any similar challenges experienced?
Old Mar 26, 17, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Fairmont PLAT, Priority Pass
buy one

Personally, I would be more concerned with getting a passport and an eTA for everyone in your party.

As for a car seat, why not just buy one when you arrive? Problem solved!
Old Mar 27, 17, 3:53 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Passport and ETA already sorted

Sorry it's a bit jumbled, likely will buy a car seat of needed but real question is whether I buy own seat bearing in mind that he's under the weight limit for Cares and I won't be travelling with a car seat for reasons already explained or do I have him as a lap infant
Old Mar 28, 17, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fredandgingermad View Post
Passport and ETA already sorted

Sorry it's a bit jumbled, likely will buy a car seat of needed but real question is whether I buy own seat bearing in mind that he's under the weight limit for Cares and I won't be travelling with a car seat for reasons already explained or do I have him as a lap infant
Have you flown with him as a lap infant before? How did he do? My daughter wouldn't have tolerated it at 11 months, but everyone's kids are different. It's definitely nice to have the extra seat, since coach seats can be really cramped with an infant and all of the related stuff you have to bring on board.
Old Mar 28, 17, 2:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by rjque View Post
Have you flown with him as a lap infant before? How did he do? My daughter wouldn't have tolerated it at 11 months, but everyone's kids are different. It's definitely nice to have the extra seat, since coach seats can be really cramped with an infant and all of the related stuff you have to bring on board.
Good advice. It's hard to speculate as to what OP's child might go for. I remember getting my son his own seat for a flight to OGG when he was 18 months... he wanted to be held the entire time. That felt like a waste.

Even after he turned 2 he wanted to be held (which could be quite something on overseas flights). It was really only after he turned 3 that he was happy to sit on his own.

For the OP, if he/she is flying solo with child, then the extra seat makes a bit more sense. But if two adults are going, I'd take baby as a lap child unless they know for a fact that the child won't be happy to be held for that long.
Old Mar 28, 17, 4:52 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rjque View Post

I haven't flown him with him as a lap infant on longhaul but he's been fine on the two short haul trips we've done, we've found out from BA that we'd need a travel restraint if I booked him his own seat, between Canada's rules (canadian manufacture only and that he'd need to rearface in the car by age and weight) vs BA's rules (forward facing) and the UK's lack of market for airline suitable car seats its looking like lap infant is our only option, we're debating now whether we fly premium economy with BA over economy for that bit of extra space

My daughter travelled well as a lap infant at the same age so I guess i'm hoping for fingers crossed!
Old Mar 29, 17, 10:28 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Why not just use a convertible seat that can rear-face and forward-face? If BA requires him to forward-face in the seat on the flight, it would still be a better option than lapchild or cares. He can sit in the convertible seat oriented forward-facing just for the flight. Then, when you get to Canada, rear-face him in the seat like you would at home. If you can find an equivalent to the Cosco Scenera over there, this would be an excellent choice while traveling. It's extremely lightweight and converts easily. If you have the Combi Coccoro over there, that's another good option. Very comfortable, too.
Old Mar 30, 17, 4:12 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by swise View Post
Why not just use a convertible seat that can rear-face and forward-face? If BA requires him to forward-face in the seat on the flight, it would still be a better option than lapchild or cares. He can sit in the convertible seat oriented forward-facing just for the flight. Then, when you get to Canada, rear-face him in the seat like you would at home. If you can find an equivalent to the Cosco Scenera over there, this would be an excellent choice while traveling. It's extremely lightweight and converts easily. If you have the Combi Coccoro over there, that's another good option. Very comfortable, too.
Unfortunately the only car seats available in the UK for use on a plane are forward facing only, (Britax Eclipse and a couple in the Kiddy range) the bulk of car seats in the UK are designed for use with a 3 point seat belt only
Old Mar 30, 17, 4:55 pm

All being well will be going to Canada in July with my youngest who'll be 11 months by then, have noted with interest that only Canadian car seats can be used over there,
That's not quite accurate. I looked up the Canadian regulations and for use in Canada a seat must meet Canadian safety standards and have the logo indicating that it meets Canadian standards. It doesn't have to be made or sold in Canada.

It's been a few years since I bought a car seat, but the ones we had all were labeled for US and international use as well as FAA approved. You may be able to find one in your area that is manufactured to meet standards in multiple areas.
Old Mar 30, 17, 11:37 pm

Unfortunately the only car seats available in the UK for use on a plane are forward facing only, (Britax Eclipse and a couple in the Kiddy range) the bulk of car seats in the UK are designed for use with a 3 point seat belt only
The Diono Radian 5 rear-and forward-faces and works on a plane:

https://uk.diono.com/product/radian-5/

Dionos are great seats. They are extremely heavy, but they do fold and have backpack straps for transport. This seat would last a long time for your child -- and it would allow him to rear-face for a long time, too.
Old Mar 31, 17, 3:25 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by swise View Post
The Diono Radian 5 rear-and forward-faces and works on a plane:

https://uk.diono.com/product/radian-5/

Dionos are great seats. They are extremely heavy, but they do fold and have backpack straps for transport. This seat would last a long time for your child -- and it would allow him to rear-face for a long time, too.
Our car seat at home rear faces to 4 but unfortunately isn't cleared for plane travel as can only be used with isofix, if the radian could be used for longer (have to be in a car seat upto 135cm/12 yrs old in uk) i'd get it but for a one use trip it's over my budget sadly
Old Mar 31, 17, 9:58 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Having another think about it, if a child is under the weight limit for it to be used forward facing in the car would that still apply on a plane?
Old Mar 31, 17, 8:22 pm

Having another think about it, if a child is under the weight limit for it to be used forward facing in the car would that still apply on a plane?
Officially, yes, but it's better than just using the lap belt or being a lap child. And it enables you to have your seat handy for when you arrive to your destination.

US airlines allow you to rear-face in this scenario, but I'm not sure the same is the case for BA.
Old Apr 1, 17, 3:37 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

No rear facing seats on BA currently unfortunately, he's currently only 6.9kg with of course the forward facing position weight at 9kg, I'm also now not sure I'll need one over there

Search this Thread