Cancun Airport with young kids

Old Jan 5, 17, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Cancun Airport with young kids

We'll be flying back on a Sunday afternoon from Cancun back to the US this winter. The Cancun website said 3 hours minimum is needed. I read somewhere that weekends are busy times. Just how much extra time do I need to get there?

Also, is there a special line for families with young kids (4 yr old and 1 yr old)?
Old Jan 5, 17, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by opus2002 View Post
We'll be flying back on a Sunday afternoon from Cancun back to the US this winter. The Cancun website said 3 hours minimum is needed. I read somewhere that weekends are busy times. Just how much extra time do I need to get there?

Also, is there a special line for families with young kids (4 yr old and 1 yr old)?
With which airline are you flying? I find two hours is more than plenty, with even 100 minutes working out well enough often enough for me on my CUN-US flights in the peak winter dates. But a lot of that can be related to which carrier is being flown, which class of service is being flown or being used at least for check-in.

I don't recall any special treatment for families with young kids leaving CUN.
Old Jan 5, 17, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
We'll be flying AA in economy on the old US Airways Airbus 333 or 332.
Old Jan 5, 17, 7:12 pm

If checking in luggage and no status I'd do 2.5 hours. The weekend will have the longest lines. If you can do hand luggage only you can cut it back to 90 minutes.
Old Jan 7, 17, 3:14 am

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
Just flew out of there on Thursday with a 1-year old. Didn't notice any special line for children, but they did allow me to go through security without having to break down his stroller for the x-Ray machine which I always have to do in the US. Getting checked in and through security was pretty quick and easy, but I know that is dependent on a lot of factors.

On a related note, I did hear from a few people (including locals) that traffic getting to the airport has, at times, been out of control recently due to the spikes in gas prices (not exactly sure why this has impacted airport traffic so much), so may be something you inquire about before heading to the airport. We had no problems and then had extra time to waste at the airport, but we did allow extra time getting to the airport since we didn't want to be sprinting around with a 13-month old and all his related gear trying to make our flight.
Old Jan 8, 17, 7:07 am

We flew out of Cancun twice last year...one time with two little kids and tons of checked luggage and once with no kids or checked luggage (but I did have 200 oz of breastmilk I was carrying with me that required lots of extra screening). Both times we were checked in and through security in under 20 minutes from the time we pulled up to the airport, but I can't remember if we were traveling on the weekend either time. I think 2 hours would be more than adequate even if there were lines.
Old Jan 9, 17, 1:01 pm

We have flown out of Cancun with a child 3 times in the past three years. My parents travel in that area quite a bit and go thru the airport without a child.

Like someone said, the airline and status can make a huge difference.

We fly first and therefore get the benefits that provides as it relates to shorter check-in lines. We arrived two hours ahead of our flight and were just fine.

Regular check-in/bag drop lines were fairly significant on weekends.

The lines for the budget and charter flights were epic.

As it relates to traffic - if you are staying to the south, make sure you factor in potential traffic delays. My parents have seen some pretty nasty traffic jams coming up from Playa that caused delays.
Old Jan 13, 17, 1:04 pm

Ww just flew CUN-ATL via DL on Wednesday - go tthere about 11:30 for 1:30pm flight - for DL there were a lot of kiosks available, and probably about 1-2 deep at each. I'm DL FO (silver), so no sky priority, but b/c we had a 1.5 year old, and I couldnt check in online, we used the "Special Services" line (after the line dragon told us to check in at a kisok and I calmly kept protesting) and all smooth. Security lines moved quickly (no shoes removed, etc).

All told through in <20 minutes. Again, this was a Wednesday mid day. The airport DID seem crowded, so I can't imagine the chaos of weekend, but if you know where you are/what to look for - navigable.

Search this Thread