Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Favorite child/baby specific travel products

Old Aug 8, 16, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Always curious to see what more experienced flyers are recommending for travel with children.

I only have one recommendation, for long flights and help adjusting to time changes: Zarbee's Children's Melatonin chewables. Safer than Benadryl, and leaves kids feeling less "hungover" or irritable the next day. We're doing a TATL (LAX-CDG) in December with our 6 year old and 6 month old, and the big kid will be getting her Zarbee's right after take off.

So what are your favorite travel related products for kids and babies? A particular travel cot or bassinet that's easy to travel with? Special luggage? Travel pillows or accessories just for very small passengers?
Old Aug 8, 16, 8:15 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
In no particular order...

Family luggage: Briggs and Riley rolling duffels. We have two. They're extremely versatile, hold a lot, lifetime warranty, collapse down very small, nondescript, STURDY.

Cosco Scenera car seats: Great for travel, because they're so lightweight and simple to install. Bare bones seats. Cheap. If you have multiple kids, one seat will nest in the other, and you can bungee them together and hang them off the back of a stroller to zoom through the terminal.

We haven't tried it yet, but we'll be bringing along MiFold booster seats to Taiwan for the few times we'll be in cars. I think it'll be a great option for us. Our kids will be 6 and 4 then.

The Lazynap air mattress has worked out well when we have needed an extra bed for our littler kid. We also use it for sleepovers. It's a little bulky, but it can fit inside our rolling duffels. The raised edge helps to keep the kid from rolling off. Our kids don't fall asleep readily when sharing a bed, so this is a good way to have put one in a separate sleeping space in hotels without the need for a rollaway. https://www.amazon.com/LazyNap-LZ-04...mattress&psc=1

These nesting balls: https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-...s=nesting+ball They are terriffic for a toy to travel with when they're babies! They're balls, bowls, a tower, bath toys. So great! I would take a couple of the smaller ones along in our carryon for the flight.

This is another good toy that expands big but packs small(er): https://www.amazon.com/BKids-Giraffe...=ball+stacking We have one like it (not this one). It has been a favorite. I purchased it for my 17-month-old-now-6-year-old when we were in Iowa for 2 weeks, and I was coming down with hyperemesis while 7 weeks pregnant with his brother.

A zip-lock of colorful pipe cleaners, pom pom balls, felt pieces, etc. Fun to shape, sort, put in, take out, etc. Doesn't take up a lot of space.

Kids magazines for storybooks on the road: They're thin, and you can leave them behind. We started with a subscription to Babybug, graduated to Ladybug, and now we do Highlights, High Five, and Ranger Rick Jr.

Crayola Erasable Colored Pencils. They're safer than markers, more durable than crayons. The only down side is you'll need to bring along a sharpener.

Imaginink activity books. You can get them in the Target $1 section. They come with an invisible ink marker and are a lot of fun to do. Good for flights, restaurants, etc. Melissa and Doug Water Wow books are good, too, but they require filling up the stylus with water, and the pages warp when they get too wet.

iPads. We like Duck Duck Moose games, Monkey games (Monkey Preschool, Lunchbox, Fix-It, etc), Sago Mini games, TocaBoca, The "truck" games (Cement Truck, Garbage Truck, Fire Truck, etc.). Netflix and Amazon Prime are our fabulous.

Target Clothes. For travel I confess I get matching tops and bottoms, so the kids are easy to spot. If one were to get lost, I can tell the appropriate authorities, "He looks just like this one but bigger/smaller." We get the $5 Circo shorts and then pair them with simple tops. Elastic waistbands ftw.

Funtainer water bottles. After trying lots of different ones, I think these are the winners. Easy to clean on the road. No place for funk to grow. Leakproof. Watch out with any straw sippies on planes though; You have to unscrew them before releasing the straw once you're at altitude, or else the water will spew out.

Dr Bronner's Castile Soap: We take a bottle of this along to wash water bottles and any other kid accessories that need it (once upon a time, pump parts, bottle/sippy cups). They make a range of good travel size bottles.

My Breast Friend makes an inflatable breastfeeding pillow. Works great on the plane! Takes up very little space!

If you need a booster seat to strap in a child while traveling... https://www.amazon.com/Regalo-Foldin...ds=regalo+seat This one works.

We also like this for a semi-portable high chair: https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-...hy+care+deluxe It folds smaller but still is a little bulky (although I was able to pack clothes in and around it). It fits in the B&R rolling duffel.

Oh- and an Ergo! Everyone has different preferences for baby carriers. Ergo was mine. First kid didn't tolerate it as much, but my second kid spent a lot of time in it. And it's a good thing, because I needed both hands to wrangle the other one.

For a stroller, the snap-n-go-style strollers are perfect for travel when babies still fit in a bucket. After that, I went with the lightest weight strollers I could find. The Uppababy G-Lite is great! We still occasionally use it. I never put it in any sort of case when gate checking, and it has held up 100%. We also have a BabyJogger CityMini. It's about 8 lbs heavier, but it reclines, and it is a lot more durable for gate checking. I love both.

Hot wheel cars! It's a tradition that my boys get a few new cars each time we fly. It's a surprise when we get onboard, and they open up their backpacks with a ziplock containing a few toys, and there's a smaller ziplock with some brand new hot wheels. They become a favorite for the rest of the trip!

Homewood Suites. Perfect for traveling families. Separate bedrooms for the parents. Hot breakfast *and* Weekday dinners *with beer and wine*. For a family of 4, being able to have dinner provided defrays a lot of the hotel cost. Plus, HHonors points. Embassy Suites are a runner-up.

If not staying in a hotel, any of the vacation rental sites are a great option. Protip: see if you can book directly through the rental's own web site or management company. You'll save the fees AirBNB/VRBO/HomeAway/Flipkey charge.

Another good option: Places like KOA and other nicer RV parks often have cabins to rent that are well equipped with kitchens, separate bedrooms, etc.

Last edited by swise; Aug 8, 16 at 11:17 pm
Old Aug 9, 16, 8:29 am

This is such an awesome post, Swise, thank you!
I'll add this, I dont have it, but saw it at Buy BUy Baby this weekend, woah: https://www.amazon.com/GB-Pockit-Str.../dp/B01DQ2B8UY

I'll second Cosco car seat.
Old Aug 9, 16, 8:29 pm

Programs: Air: UA *S, WN CP | Hotels - Gold: Choice, CC, & HH; Hotels - Amb: Marriott
Lotus Travel Crib
Old Aug 9, 16, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

I had been eyeballing that travel crib, FindAWay! What has your experience been with taking it on planes? Also been looking at the Chicco Lullago, as my little one is only 9 weeks old currently.

Excellent list, swise!
Old Aug 10, 16, 8:41 am

Programs: Air: UA *S, WN CP | Hotels - Gold: Choice, CC, & HH; Hotels - Amb: Marriott
Originally Posted by AirNurse View Post
I had been eyeballing that travel crib, FindAWay! What has your experience been with taking it on planes? Also been looking at the Chicco Lullago, as my little one is only 9 weeks old currently.
We carried it on-board only 1-roundtrip so far. It was on WN. No concerns or issues whatsover.

We have checked it on 2 WN roundtrips and on a BA roundtrip to Scotland.

We have taken it on several different driving weekend trips.

We have a flight this weekend on B6 and are debating whether or not to carry-on or check it. We don't really have a concern either way based on our experience, it is really just a question of do we want another thing to carry with us through the airport.
Old Aug 10, 16, 9:27 am

Bubblebum.

Ipads w headphones

The concept of "disposable" air matresses we dont have to drag back (either bring and leave or just buy at local walmart etc)

Designated sleeping toy for travel (better not lose that one)

Wearable blanket when they were little

Expandable luggage

Small backpacks for kids from early age

Last edited by azepine00; Aug 10, 16 at 9:37 am
Old Aug 10, 16, 10:03 am

One more: a luggage scale. It's easy to overpack bags when traveling with a family.

Well, and another follow-on: $20 bill. We give this to the skycap first thing when checking bags, and even if we're a pound or two over, it's no problem. They make sure to put the "priority" tags on our bags and take extra care of us. A standard tip would usually be about $6-$10 for the amount we check, so this is a little beyond that amount, but it's worth it. And curbside checkin makes things go a lot easier.
Old Aug 10, 16, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

We're going on a year of use with a pair of iFrogz Little Rocker headphones. Previous to this a pair of headphones for the 6 year old would only last ~3 months. Really pleased with the sound quality, construction, and comfort of these. She loves them! We picked them up at the airport when we realized one side of her Kidrox headphones had gone dead (after less than 2 months of use, grrrr). Excellent purchase, and they're relatively cheap on Amazon.

We make sure that the kiddo wears a pair of shoes that easily slip on and off -- makes those mid-flight trips to the bathroom faster and easier.
Old Aug 11, 16, 7:35 am

Programs: DL MM, AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat
+1 on the Cosco Scenera and Ergo.

We also took the Baby Bjorn travel crib across the globe multiple times. It collapses much smaller and more compactly than most, and was never damaged despite checking it on a variety of inhospitable itineraries---indeed, several high-quality pieces of luggage were damaged alongside over the years, but never the crib.

Also, single-serving powdered formula packets. Way less mess than the alternative.

Paper/plastic disposable bibs so you don't have to keep cleaning them.

Every baby is different, but we also had great success with a sleeping toy, and a baby monitor that plays music. That way the child always hears the same noises at bedtime anywhere in the world (and, if you play your cards right, you can have a drink in the hotel club lounge a few doors down while the baby sleeps).

And iPads are simply indispensable, presuming you do not allow the kid to play with it other than during travel. That way, they are like baby crack and good for 8-10 hours of a zombie, trance-like state.
Old Aug 11, 16, 9:42 am

We also used the Bjorn Travel Crib. In fact, it's still going strong, traveling across the country with some opera singer nomad friends.

One thing I would do is shove the heavier baby items into the extra space in the Travel Crib's case before checking. 3 packs of baby wipes fit easily. I'd also place the baby monitor in there, since it was pretty well protected by the frame and mattress. It's also a good spot to stash liquids (sealed in a couple of layers of ziplocks), books, etc.
Old Aug 11, 16, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
.. and a baby monitor that plays music. That way the child always hears the same noises at bedtime anywhere in the world (and, if you play your cards right, you can have a drink in the hotel club lounge a few doors down while the baby sleeps).
we extensively used an improvised baby monitor by running skype call between ipad left in the room (sound muted) and phone with earpiece we carried to lounge, hotel restaurant etc nearby...
Old Aug 11, 16, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
we extensively used an improvised baby monitor by running skype call between ipad left in the room (sound muted) and phone with earpiece we carried to lounge, hotel restaurant etc nearby...
Love this
Old Aug 11, 16, 2:07 pm

There are apps, too. We use one called Cloud Baby Monitor.

In hotels, the wifi is often sketchy enough that we still will use a regular baby monitor, though.
Old Aug 12, 16, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post

And iPads are simply indispensable, presuming you do not allow the kid to play with it other than during travel. That way, they are like baby crack and good for 8-10 hours of a zombie, trance-like state.
Amen to that!! And not having to put electronics away for landing makes that SOOO much easier now. It used to be a 50/50 shot of being able to turn off the electronics for landing without triggering a major meltdown....

Search this Thread