Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice on travel with a ~6 month old

Old Jul 31, 16, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat

Looking for other parents thoughts & opinions on our concerns about a Round The World trip with 3 stops that we have scheduled in about 3 weeks.

Up until this week, I'd been feeling pretty good about our son's ability to travel. He had done one trip involving 4hr flights each way when he was 2 1/2 months and then another trip with 1 hr flights each way when 4 months. He's 5 1/2 months now and we're visiting family for 5 days. He did fine on the 4 hr flights but each night we've been here he's had some meltdowns around bedtime and he's waking up every 2-3 hours vs sleeping 5+ hours at home.

We're booked to do SEA-PHL-LHR, stay 5 days, then LHR-AUH, stay 2 days, then AUH-MEL, stay 5 days, then returning home MEL-LAX-SEA. We at first figured that only 3 locations would be OK for a 6 month old and not too disrupting but now we're a bit more concerned.

We do wonder if just all the family interaction with him near constantly on this trip is a bit overwhelming and he's super tired at the end of the day. I'm considering booking a hotel night next week at home to see how he does with just us away from home.

We're considering delaying for a year, but worried that it may be harder to travel with a 18 month old and also a contributing factor is that all but the MEL-LAX-SEA portions of the trip were booked with AA miles pre-devaluation. We used 300k miles for Business SEA-PHL-LHR & Etihad First class Apartments LHR-AUH and AUH-MEL . Replicating same parts with new AA rates would cost us 440k miles.

open to input from other parents who have traveled with ~6 month olds. Any thoughts or ideas folks have to give us high confidence in the trip?

Last edited by mikelat; Jul 31, 16 at 6:30 pm
Old Jul 31, 16, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL MM, AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat
It will *absolutely* be easier now than when he is 18 months. A 6-mos old is usually pretty easy to fly with, as they 1) aren't yet mobile so will stay in their seats, 2) sleep a lot, and 3) tend to adjust easily to other time zones.

But, every kid is different, so YMMV. I took both my kids to the other side of the globe multiple times in their first two years, and one handled it beautiful, the other less so.

Presuming LHR-AUH and AUH-MEL are EY apartments, I'd say it's not going to get any easier than that for the next, oh, 18 years
Old Jul 31, 16, 8:34 pm

It's doable - 6 months is the sweet spot. I would've done 2 trips 6 months apart with a bit more time at each end point. If possible, skip AUH - better to spend the time in LON/MEL.
Old Aug 1, 16, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
It's doable - 6 months is the sweet spot. I would've done 2 trips 6 months apart with a bit more time at each end point. If possible, skip AUH - better to spend the time in LON/MEL.
Agreed, I keep looking for tighter 'connection' LHR-AUH-MEL but this was the closest I could book the flights.And, admittedly, part of the trip is for us parents to get to try out Etihad First Apartments. it was easier to find flights to Australia going the 'wrong way' including First Apartments than to find Business seats US-Australia.
Old Aug 14, 16, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Royal Ambassador
It's an easy age to travel. We took our baby from London to Sydney when he was a few months old. The only thing to watch for is the change of air pressure on take off and landing. If the baby is no longer breast fed you should take a bottle for take off and landing. The baby will be able to equalise ear pressure when swallowing. They adapt to time changes much more readily than we grown ups!
Old Aug 17, 16, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
child seat
Old Aug 17, 16, 9:53 am

I agree with the others, 6 months is a great time to go and it will be far easier than at 18 months. (We travelled constantly with our son starting at 3mo and the early mobile months were the most tiring.)

Take what you want from the following advice -

If deviating from routine keeps everyone stress-free and happy, do it on the trip. For example, our son would fall asleep anywhere if cuddled so we put him in bed between rather than in a strange crib, in a strange place when he was over tired. Asleep in one minute vs. 30 minutes of crying/fussing? That was a no-brainer on vacation. He sleeps just fine now so it didn't do any harm

Make things easy on your self. If budget allows, get a porter, take a taxi/car service instead of a bus, etc. This goes against how I was raised but I found $100 over a several thousand dollar trip was money well spent.

Search this Thread