Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

To Car Seat or Not To Car Seat, That is the Question...[Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Car Seat or Not To Car Seat, That is the Question...[Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by erik123
There is an 2011 FAA report that provides some clarity.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...int-update.pdf

In short: 3 deaths would have been prevented by the use of car seats/restraint in the period 1980-1994 - but none from 1994-2011.
I believe the outstanding data question is more about the utility/safety of a car-seat for kids between say 2 and 4, and whether it makes a difference vs. the airplane's own lap belt. However, this is a remarkably small improvement even for an infant seat (!) - I would have thought it was much more of a "save" vs. baby in arms.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Here's a link to the "Freakonomics" people - granted it's a few years out of date:

http://freakonomics.com/2007/01/05/w...ont-work-well/
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:25 pm

Traveling With Small Child With/Without a Seat

I'm currently planning a trip from LAX - JPN sometime next year and utilize our miles to get First/Business class for my wife and I.

Has anyone travelled long-haul flight on first/business w/18-23 months old WITHOUT a seat before?

If you have, what was your experience like?

Would it be better to book economy with seats instead for comfort purpose?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by mightyomighty
I'm currently planning a trip from LAX - JPN sometime next year and utilize our miles to get First/Business class for my wife and I.

Has anyone travelled long-haul flight on first/business w/18-23 months old WITHOUT a seat before?

If you have, what was your experience like?

Would it be better to book economy with seats instead for comfort purpose?

Hi, we did it a few times on both Cathay Pacific and Korean Airlines. Both times our child was still small enough for the bassinet. It was a pleasant experience and surely much better than economy. There is usually also plenty of room for the child to share the seat in bed mode if your wife is on the petite side.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a really difficult age not to have a seat. It's much easier to manage a squirming toddler in her own seat next to a window than it is on your lap.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:48 am

My experiences have been excellent in C/F (dozens of (ultra) long hauls). But it really depends on your kid and your comfort level. For me ground services (reducing stress at the airport, especially in case of delays) and seat comfort are paramount. For some 3 seats in Y is preferable.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Long haul at that age is really tough without a seat.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAX-SIN-DPS-HKG-LAX in SQ C and CX F at 23 mo
LAX-IAH-DME-IAH-LAX in UA C/F and SQ C at 20 mo

Two lap kids - aside from one domestic UA F (another was flatbed) the rest was acceptable... not enjoyable by any means but acceptable - no way i would do that in coach. Flat bed allowed us to catch some sleep here and there when kids were sleeping and SQ seat is wide with anough room for lap child (plus iirc some benadryl was involved ).
We did LAX-NRT-LAx at appr 15 mo with coach seats for all and that experience was far more miserable with no sleep whatsoever but ymmv of course
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:49 pm

IME, it's so individually dependent on your family's preferences. I flew in business class with my son at 18 months across the Atlantic, and I thought it was *fine* and much easier and more preferable to having him wail if we strapped him in a car seat. For other families and kids, it's easier and more convenient to buy a separate seat.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:33 am

What to do with carseat?

I am taking a flight in 1 month from LGA to AEX on delta. I have to bring along an infant carseat to give to my sister for my nephew. what is best for me to do with the carseat, Gate check or check with luggage?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: United Plus
My sister did this for me.

Leave it in its original packaging and check as baggage. The two airlines I worked for didn't allow car seats on board since they were too big for the carry-on limits. Check the Delta's site and see what they. The box might have to be factory sealed for insurance purposes.

When my sister got off the plane, she was ticked off. "I thought car seats were exempt from the luggage limits!" Yeah... when you have a baby with you!

Just realized, is this a used car seat? Does it still have the original packaging?

In either case, you might want to number crunch if the car seat puts you over your limit. It might be cheaper to simply ship it, since this domestic. I had a car seat brought to me in Europe that isn't available so that's why my sister brought it over.

If you're only bringing hand luggage (or are flying with others with checked bags) then double check the boxed car seat meets the weight and size limits for checked bags. An infant seat should.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Original boxed packaging is best, at least when there is not an expensive baggage fee involved in its transport.

If traveling with a child entitled to free transport of a CRS/stroller, the US airlines seem to not charge for them even if the item is a bit bigger than allowed standard bag dimensions.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:49 pm

14 hr flight with 2 yr old - to bring car seat or not?

We will be flying to Australia from the US (east coast) and have some very long flights ahead of us. He has his own seat and in the past we have taken the car seat with us (Cosco Scenerca). He does okay with it - but I feel like its not that comfortable for him - and wonder if it will help or hurt on such long flights. We could use the cares harness instead of take / off landing - but I'm concerned about how he will fall asleep without the car seat - can a 2 year old sleep on the seat by himself? Is it even remotely comfortable if they lay half on you and half on their seat? Are there any products out there to help make the seat more comfy for toddlers? Help!!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
There is a little inflatable thing you can buy that goes on the floor in front of the seat. I am blanking on the name but it's height is even with the seat and basically extends the seat into a little toddler bed. Hopefully someone knows what I am talking about. Friends have used it with great success. Edited to add that I think it is called Fly Tot.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 5:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've seen people use their cabin bags as a sort of FlyTot substitute. That said it seems like most two year olds can rest their head or legs on an adult while using their own seat to host the rest of the body of the child, if the arm rest goes up fully and stays up.

Originally Posted by kwalla
We will be flying to Australia from the US (east coast) and have some very long flights ahead of us. He has his own seat and in the past we have taken the car seat with us (Cosco Scenerca). He does okay with it - but I feel like its not that comfortable for him - and wonder if it will help or hurt on such long flights. We could use the cares harness instead of take / off landing - but I'm concerned about how he will fall asleep without the car seat - can a 2 year old sleep on the seat by himself? Is it even remotely comfortable if they lay half on you and half on their seat? Are there any products out there to help make the seat more comfy for toddlers? Help!!
I've seen kids sleeping for hours in CARES restraints. But children often sleep better and longer in flat positions than even in car seats. And flat or fetal sleep positions are healthier rest positions for young children than prolonged seated positions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.