Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Security while traveling with an infant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Flying with my wife and 8 week old next week. Both wife and I have precheck. Will we have an issue since we are carrying the baby going through precheck? Also, it being our first flight with the baby, can we bring more than 3oz of milk through security? What about cooler packs for the bottles? Any guidance is appreciated.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Tt44159
Flying with my wife and 8 week old next week. Both wife and I have precheck. Will we have an issue since we are carrying the baby going through precheck? Also, it being our first flight with the baby, can we bring more than 3oz of milk through security? What about cooler packs for the bottles? Any guidance is appreciated.
Kids under 12 traveling with adults that qualify for PreCheck may accompany them w/o their own PreCheck.

You can bring "reasonable" quantities of liquids for an infant. Cooler packs/frozen substances are always allowed--it's only liquids that are limited regardless.

You may get pushback on the liquids thing by an untrained agent (they don't get a lot of infants in the PreCheck lines), and you just need to know the rules and ask for a supervisor.

As a fellow traveller who took his own kids through PreCheck, since you mention this is your first time, may I would suggest you make sure you are ready and able to pass quickly through security--e.g., you know how to fold up your stroller, get the liquids quickly in a container, etc., etc. If not, courtesy suggests you go through the "regular" lane the first few times until you've got things figured out so as not to gum up the PreCheck line.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:44 am

Just to echo/amplify:
- no worries with the baby in precheck
- we've never had an issue with milk, pumping equipment - but 100% of the time they've just asked for a bottle to do a quick test of in secondary screening - takes <2 minutes, and very polite about it - we basically learned in the precheck line just to call the attention to the cooler holding the milk as we put on the belt and they know what to do and appreciate it
- Stroller/car seat - if you are bringing to the gate (ie through security), agree - the big clunky ones will be unweidly through the scanner, so step aside while you get that squared away. Best bet is of course to strap that 8 week old to you/wife through the process and keep your hands as free as possible.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Erasmus
As a fellow traveller who took his own kids through PreCheck, since you mention this is your first time, may I would suggest you make sure you are ready and able to pass quickly through security--e.g., you know how to fold up your stroller, get the liquids quickly in a container, etc., etc. If not, courtesy suggests you go through the "regular" lane the first few times until you've got things figured out so as not to gum up the PreCheck line.
I don't see any need to go through the "regular" lane, especially if you've paid for the right to go through PreCheck. We frequently travel with our two young kids and always use PreCheck. We have a system down so it doesn't take us long at all, maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute to fold the stroller, put bags on the belt, and line up, but during times that take longer one parent will put everything on the belt, pull out extra liquids, etc. while the other stays with the kids and gestures for other more quick people to go around.

This allows you to be courteous to others without losing the benefit of PreCheck yourself.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Before my daughter got Precheck on her own, we used the line anyways.

Have the bottles in a separate bag or cooler and just let the agent know. I've taken 4 bottles on a flight no issue.

I've always traveled alone with her, taking the stroller, a car seat, her and carry on luggage. Just practice and make sure you know how to work everything. I stepped aside to get the car seat out of the backpack. The stroller folded in seconds. I did give myself extra time for the entire process just so I wasn't stressed. I carried her in a sling with all the other stuff. Was crazy and much easier now that she is 3
Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Erasmus
Kids under 12 traveling with adults that qualify for PreCheck may accompany them w/o their own PreCheck.

You can bring "reasonable" quantities of liquids for an infant. Cooler packs/frozen substances are always allowed--it's only liquids that are limited regardless.

You may get pushback on the liquids thing by an untrained agent (they don't get a lot of infants in the PreCheck lines), and you just need to know the rules and ask for a supervisor.

We are planning on doing a practice run the night before to ensure we don't hold any other folks up. Visiting family who have a car seat and stroller so luckily this time we will just have the Baby Bjorn. On that note, can my wife wear that through the x-ray machine in precheck with the baby in it or does it have to be taken off and put on the belt?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

What about a Baby Bjorn, does the baby need to be removed and the carrier sent down the belt or can me and baby walk through the x-ray with it on? We are not planning on taking a stroller or car seat with us because our family has them where we are traveling.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
I don't see any need to go through the "regular" lane, especially if you've paid for the right to go through PreCheck. We frequently travel with our two young kids and always use PreCheck. We have a system down so it doesn't take us long at all, maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute to fold the stroller, put bags on the belt, and line up, but during times that take longer one parent will put everything on the belt, pull out extra liquids, etc. while the other stays with the kids and gestures for other more quick people to go around.

This allows you to be courteous to others without losing the benefit of PreCheck yourself.
I'm glad you have a system--as did we. The OP indicated this was their first time, however, so I suggested they might consider refining their own system before they use the PreCheck line. But it's certainly anyone's "right" to go as slowly as they like through whichever line they choose.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Tt44159
What about a Baby Bjorn, does the baby need to be removed and the carrier sent down the belt or can me and baby walk through the x-ray with it on? We are not planning on taking a stroller or car seat with us because our family has them where we are traveling.
IME they will want to wand you if you keep the baby in the carrier. If you remove the baby from the carrier you just walk through.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is no big deal. Thousands of people do it every day without incident. The fastest and easiest way to make this work is to step to the side so that the Pre-Check line keeps moving while you remove the infant from its carrier/stroller. Just carry the infant through (12 or under get to use Pre-Check anyway, so you've got a ways to go before you need to worry about this).

Other person feeds items onto the belt or through the mag as the Officer designates (strollers tend to go through the mag at some locations and then get examined). Then you walk through, collect your stuff and the stroller if it's being examined, replace baby and you're done.

Carry enough milk to deal with delays and you will be fine. Again, a non-issue unless you are trying to move tubs of ice filled with bottles.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:42 am

RE: removing baby from Bjorn or whatever strap on carrier - judgement call it - if you need your hands free and/or baby is comfortable resting and snuggled - I'd leave the baby in - wanding will take an extra few seconds *if* they want to and wont disturb anyone really.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: United Plus
If the baby carrier has any metal parts, it probably needs to be removed.

I personally found the Bjorn super awkward for travel. It's hard to don and take off. It also holds the baby by its crotch and pulls on the adults' shoulders. I switched to a ring sling and it was 100% better.

The advantage to the ring sling is that I could sit down in it and the baby could be removed without waking them, between the stroller, car seat and cot.

My ring sling had nylon rings, but some have metal. I noticed that they asked to remove the baby when awake. They let the sleeping babies pass!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:50 am

RE: Bjorn - yeah, we used Ergo Baby - no metal (maybe a zipper one spot) - good points there.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: BA, EK, VS
Hi -as already mentioned yes you are allowed over 100ml /3oz. Re cool packs, the rules do vary from country to country. So to avoid them being unexpectedly taken away, I always bring a few ziplock bags, and fill them with ice from home, at the airport and during the flight.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

A quick update while we're waiting in Charlotte for our connection. The Bjorn went through the x-ray with no problems and no need to wand on the other side. Not exactly like CHS TSA is the strictest bunch, but figured I would update for anyone curious about the BabyBjorn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.