Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Airline makes passenger move child’s safety seat so passenger in front could recline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline makes passenger move child’s safety seat so passenger in front could recline

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by ivan89
Fortunately, not. The FAA regulations quite clearly state that it is the airline's responsibility to accommodate the car seat if it is approved for air travel and if a separate ticket is purchased for the baby.

It's the chicken or the egg dilemma. In the same manner I can say that the person in front shouldn't be allowed to recline if that would prevent my baby from traveling safely. If that person really wants to recline, he or she can buy two tickets (one being directly behind his/her seat), so that no one prevents the seat from being reclined.
Yes, but it doesn't say you get to pick which seat it should be placed in, and they are not required to place you in any seat they would otherwise charge for. The rules only pretends a situation where the seat doesn't actually fit any seats will never happen, but it doesn't say the airline is forced to create a new seat either.

And no, you cannot not say that unless you are stupid. Well, you could in the same way someone who fit in a regular seat should buy two seats to prevent a POS from sitting in their seat, too.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
If two parents are flying with the child (which is usually the case), just put one parent in front of the child's seat. problem solved. move on.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
A lot of people are commenting in this thread as though passengers have an absolute right to a seat to recline. However, given the fact that some seats on the plane already do not recline for safety reasons (I.e. the seats in front of the exit row) and AFAIK they are not discounted, it is clear that safety considerations trump a seat that reclines.

And for those who claim it is not a safety consideration, if the seat can't be belted in forward facing (I.e. an infant bucket seat), it definitely is a safety issue. There is some grey area where the seat and child could go either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.