FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel with Children (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children-221/)
-   -   Infant in bassinet vs seat--can't have both? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children/1769564-infant-bassinet-vs-seat-cant-have-both.html)

jules128 Jun 1, 2016 1:17 pm

Infant in bassinet vs seat--can't have both?

Hi everyone, I'm flying JFK to Milan on Emirates in November with a friend and my baby who will be 10 months. When I was booking the ticket, I was under the impression that bassinets aren't guaranteed so I booked my baby a seat because it didn't cost much more than infant in lap. Well when I called to reserve the bassinet I was told I couldn't have both a seat and a bassinet.

Had I known that I wouldn't have booked and paid more for a seat but I've already paid for the seat and it's nonrefundable. So I said what do I need to do to get the bassinet because in my mind, a place to lay down trumps sitting in a car seat for 8 hours. She said we'd have to add the infant to the booking and pay the infant fare. I asked how much and she said $67!!! I said ok add the infant.

During my original booking, infant in lap was around $240. So as it stands, now I have a seat and a bassinet booked for my baby but she said when I check in, if I take the bassinet, the seat will be a no show and someone else will get that seat.

We are assigned the 3 bulkhead seats on the side of the plane. When I get to the airport should I check in and release the seat and take the bassinet? Or should I check in with the seat and drop the bassinet? Will they then move us to other seats not together? Do you think I have any chance of getting the seat and the bassinet?

Redhead Jun 1, 2016 8:10 pm

How big is your 10 mo? In my experience your child will want a mix of your lap and car seat. They won't stay in the car seat for all 8 hours (nor should they)

jules128 Jun 1, 2016 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Redhead (Post 26714815)
How big is your 10 mo? In my experience your child will want a mix of your lap and car seat. They won't stay in the car seat for all 8 hours (nor should they)

well she's only 5 months at the moment and 14 lbs.

jules128 Jun 2, 2016 8:09 am

now when I pull up my booking on Emirates, it only shows 2 reserved seats

erik123 Jun 2, 2016 11:48 am

This doesn't make sense. If you bough a seat that ticket should still show a seat assignment. $67 also sounds too little for a transatlantic infant w/o seat fare. If would follow-up.

jules128 Jun 2, 2016 11:54 am

Originally Posted by erik123 (Post 26718082)
This doesn't make sense. If you bough a seat that ticket should still show a seat assignment. $67 also sounds too little for a transatlantic infant w/o seat fare. If would follow-up.

on the phone she said she had assigned 3 seats but when I login I only see 2. The original fare was $497 each for 2 pax. adding infant in lap was around $240 so for another $250 I was able to buy her a seat which seemed worth it to me for a long flight. But when I tried to buy her a seat, it wouldn't let me buy a seat for an under 2, so I didn't put anything for the age and purchased a child seat. so 2 adults and 1 child was just under $1500. I don't understand why you can't have a bassinet and a seat if you've paid for the seat. And no, I don't know why it was only $67 to add her as an infant in lap ticket. but I don't know what to do

jjakobv84 Jun 2, 2016 1:23 pm

Call Emirates again and see if you get a competent agent -- but at 10 months I doubt she'll want to use a bassinet much anyway so I'd say 3 seats is the right call -- at least that's been my experience.

Redhead Jun 3, 2016 6:55 am

Originally Posted by jjakobv84 (Post 26718642)
Call Emirates again and see if you get a competent agent -- but at 10 months I doubt she'll want to use a bassinet much anyway so I'd say 3 seats is the right call -- at least that's been my experience.

This. And when you call, get the agent's name and employee ID and Document everything

Eclipsepearl Jun 5, 2016 7:46 am

The car seat is a safer, better alternative to a bassinet. You won't have to remove the child in turbulence (as you're supposed to).

They won't give you both since there's so much competition for those bassinet seats. Too many with lap babies don't get them.

Emirates is one of the few airlines that has bassinets that hold babies bigger than 6 months but at 10 months, no way would mine have laid down. I did put a 12 month old in a Lufthansa bassinet but I spent the whole time keeping him from pitching forward. He wouldn't sleep in it. Got him a seat for the next flight!

It's a myth that you have to force your baby to stay in the seat for the entire flight. That's not possible, comfortable nor logical. It is nice to be able to strap a baby in safely before getting a drink or using the restroom (by contrast, bassinet lap babies should never be left unattended). Mine were way to active to stay in a car seat 11 1/2 hours and when awake, were within my reach, but moving.

Ludmilla696 Jun 6, 2016 3:11 am

I never flew with Emirates, but last time I flew with my 9 months old I booked him a seat which I used for his car seat but I also requested a bassinet which they put I my booking. They told me that they can't guarantee a bassinet as I already have a seat but if there is no younger baby I will be able to get the bassinet. I got the bassinet and the seat on all 4 flights! It's really nice just to put toys and stuff in even if baby is too big... And you have the extra leg room...

jules128 Jun 6, 2016 10:20 am

thanks everyone, I'm going to call Emirates and make sure I have my seat and then maybe I'll get lucky and get the bassinet too.

Carrie Bradley Jun 22, 2016 7:52 am

Hope you get it sorted. I recently flew again with Emirates. My youngest was 12 months and she just fitted into the bassinet. She was great and slept a good portion of it too. The crew will enforce that baby correctly fits in and is not to long or too heavy. A handy bassinet guide for all airlines is [redacted] Most airlines average around 10 months but EK allows more and QF allow up to 18 months and BA up to 2 years. QF and VS are great because you do not need to remove them during a flight if turbulent, due to different bassinet restraints. VS is a 5 point harness system..