FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel with Children (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children-221/)
-   -   Do minors need a passport to walk across the border to Tijuana? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children/1758959-do-minors-need-passport-walk-across-border-tijuana.html)

RteSmrt Apr 11, 2016 6:43 pm

Do minors need a passport to walk across the border to Tijuana?

I am planning to bring my 13 year-old son with me for 1/2 day in Tijuana. We plan to walk across, as our San Diego rental car isn't allowed across. It's quite clear that re-entry to the US should be easy enough with a copy of a birth certificate. I can't seem to find any official policy for entry to Mexico, and it appears that Mexico is checking all walk-ins at the San Ysidro for passports. Can I enter with my son using a passport for me, and a birth certificate for him? Anyone with recent experience since the new entry procedures were implemented last summer?

themicah Apr 12, 2016 4:58 pm

From the US State Dept:

You must present a valid U.S. passport or passport card in order to enter Mexico. Although documents may not be routinely checked along the land border, Mexican authorities at immigration checkpoints approximately 25 kilometers from the U.S. border will often conduct vehicle and document inspections and require valid travel documents and an entry permit or Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM). If you enter by land and travel further than 25 kilometers into Mexico, you should stop at an immigration checkpoint to obtain an FMM, even if not explicitly directed to do so by Mexican officials. Beyond the border zone, all non-Mexican citizens must have valid immigration documents (an FMM or temporary or permanent resident card) regardless of the original place of entry. Failure to present an FMM or other valid immigration document can result in detention by immigration authorities and/or delays or missed flights because airlines may insist that a valid immigration document be obtained from Mexican immigration authorities before issuing a boarding pass.

Redhead Apr 14, 2016 7:08 pm

Everyone, regardless of age, needs a passport or passport card

VickiSoCal Apr 16, 2016 7:31 pm

The real question is why you would want to do this at all.

Often1 Apr 16, 2016 9:16 pm

He needs a passport. A passport card will suffice for this trip, but if he's ever going to travel internationally by air, he will need a passport book.

Aside from the legal requirement, there is not a chance in hell that I would allow my minor child to travel without direct proof of nationality, e.g. a passport which is universally recognized.

Redhead Apr 18, 2016 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 26495545)
Aside from the legal requirement, there is not a chance in hell that I would allow my minor child to travel without direct proof of nationality, e.g. a passport which is universally recognized.

This 100%

Airportismyadobe Apr 20, 2016 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by RteSmrt (Post 26471587)
I am planning to bring my 13 year-old son with me for 1/2 day in Tijuana. We plan to walk across, as our San Diego rental car isn't allowed across. It's quite clear that re-entry to the US should be easy enough with a copy of a birth certificate. I can't seem to find any official policy for entry to Mexico, and it appears that Mexico is checking all walk-ins at the San Ysidro for passports. Can I enter with my son using a passport for me, and a birth certificate for him? Anyone with recent experience since the new entry procedures were implemented last summer?

Passports are checked at the border entry point into mexico from san ysidro.

However at the Otay crossing to Mexico passports aren't checked.

MSPeconomist Apr 20, 2016 7:07 pm

I'd also worry about the rules for (only) one parent traveling into Mexico with a child. Do you need the other parent's permission or proof of sole custody? What about a medical power of attorney for the kid? IIRC getting a passport or passport card requires approval of both parents (or proof of sole custody), so implicitly the other parent ahs given some sort of permission to travel if applicable.

China Dol May 6, 2017 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by RteSmrt (Post 26471587)

I do this every yr multiple times a year and it's no problem. I go with just my driver's license, and I take my 15 year old nephew and my five year old daughter with me using only their birth certificates and I never have an issue re-entering the US.
The only time a passport is required is when you are traveling by air to other countries. if you are traveling by land or sea a passport is not required however for ages 16 and older you are required to have either a u.s. issued ID or passport card. for children under the age of 15 a birth certificate is sufficient. And I just went a few months ago so I know that this is still allowed. Good luck and have fun.