Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon with 10 month baby?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2016, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Hey all - wasn't sure if this belong in destinations or children forum... so posting here because I "know" some of you at this point.

Heading to Sedona next month with some family - got a house there for the week. Never been to the Grand Canyon and we were thinking of a day trip.

I know its too big for a day trip - but we will be back when our daughter is older and we can do it "for real" - but since we are "in the neighborhood" were thinking worth a day to drive out, check it out, and drive back.

That being said - its about 2 hours each way by car - we'll have some time to get out and hike a bit - I know, I know, not to the bottom - and again, 10 month old strapped to one of us --- but anyone out there been with an infant?

Any hikes that are in the 1-2-3 hour range that aren't too ridiculous with ErgoBaby on the back? This will be April, so thinking heat won't be too bad, but will of course be weary of the sun.

Looking for tips, hikes, things to do/avoid, etc... i'm assuming no stroller, but maybe I'm wrong?

First time doing a NP with our baby - wife and I are (were) avid hikers and love NPs, but realize especially this trip we are not doing our normal 10 hour hikes.

TIA!
Old Mar 26, 2016, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

While we are at it, might as well ask for Sedona-area infant recs too
Old Mar 27, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We spent the night at the rim with a 18 month old and a 4 year old. We did use the stroller for the younger kid. You can walk around the rim area on paved paths with a stroller and I felt more secure with her being a runner, having her strapped in and the other adult coralling the 4 year old.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:43 am
Original Poster

@VickiSoCal - thanks - I've seen some general stuff on the NPS website, and those Rim walks looks perfect.. flat, level -- while I have no intention of hiking down with a baby right now (although I did think about it for a few minutes.... *sigh*...) - any other relatively short non rock-scrambly hikes down for a bit? like 1-2 hours?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.