Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Traveling with minor- full custody

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2016, 3:32 am
Original Poster

I'm planning to travel alone with my child from US to Panama. I have sole legal and physical custody. I am not in contact with other parent, so no notorized agreement will be available. We do have return tickets booked.

Will this suffice for airlines and entry into the country?
Old Feb 27, 2016, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Do you have documentation stating that you have full custody? I'd bring those.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
That must work: the other half is not always available. To the contrary, I know a couple where the husband has a restraint order against contacting his ex-wife for very good reasons. The divorce involved a big knife (in the hand of the husband) and a 9mm (in clear self defense in the hand of the wife) and the husband did time for it.

Last edited by chx1975; Feb 28, 2016 at 7:06 am
Old Feb 28, 2016, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In order to obtain a US Passport (I presume we're talking about a US citizen) for the child, you will need to demonstrate to the State Department Passport Agency that you have full custody. The passport website has a very clear list of the documents you must show in order to prove this and the form you will complete.

You should also check with the Panamanian Consulate to be certain that Panama will not require anything in addition.

Then make sure that you have exactly the documents required. The lawyer who helped you obtain custody can help you obtain anything you do not have. Pay special attention to requirements of court attestation (a court seal) and the like.

Remember that this whole process is designed to protect your child. So, when air carriers and governments seem fussy, they are being fussy for a reason.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I also have sole custody of my daughter. In my case, there is no father listed on her birth certificate. Therefore when we travel internationally I take both her passport and bc.

Like others mentioned, getting the passport will be the first hurdle but the documentation is clearly listed on the government website. I would also recommend that you take copies of the proof of custody and do check the Panamanian Consulate's site (or even call)
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I've a slightly different situation needing assistance. I will be taking my 16 yr old niece on a trip to Dublin next year. We have the same last name-- will I need any authorization or additional documents?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by mauld
I've a slightly different situation needing assistance. I will be taking my 16 yr old niece on a trip to Dublin next year. We have the same last name-- will I need any authorization or additional documents?
You probably won't be asked for anything. That said, if it's feasible to get it, a letter (preferably notarized, again if feasible) signed by both parents authorizing the trip couldn't hurt. A sheet of paper doesn't weigh much, and it could avoid a difficult scene at the airport if an airline staffer decides that you might be Evil Child Abductor Person.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Originally Posted by mauld
You probably won't be asked for anything. That said, if it's feasible to get it, a letter (preferably notarized, again if feasible) signed by both parents authorizing the trip couldn't hurt. A sheet of paper doesn't weigh much, and it could avoid a difficult scene at the airport if an airline staffer decides that you might be Evil Child Abductor Person.
Something you should definitely have is a letter giving you permission to consent to medical care for the niece in case of an emergency, plus the niece's medical insurance info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.