Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Long trips (4 weeks +) with family / kids

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long trips (4 weeks +) with family / kids

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
So you're planning a trip that it appears nobody but you wants for 5 to 6 weeks, and you'd happily stick your spouse in Y while you sit in J?

Anybody else see some red flags here?

If I were the OP, I'd rein in my enthusiasm and listen to my family. They, especially the spouse, are people who deserve to have their perspectives respected and included in an undertaking of that magnitude.

If the rest of the family is coerced into spending 5 or 6 weeks taking a trip they hate, you might not like the consequences, and odds are good your kids could make the trip absolute hell if motivated to do so.

Or maybe they could be persuaded to happily join in a simpler, smaller scale trip.
You are making some assumptions based on a generalization in my post. No one is being coerced. In fact, the reason the trip is looking more like a 5-weeker rather than our usual 3-4 weeker is that I AM respecting their perspectives and listening to their wishes. One son is begging to go to Tokyo; one son is begging for Thailand; spouse is begging for Hong Kong. But they don't realize that with so many destinations, we will need time. Originally I had suggested a trip to Bali, which would've taken about 10-14 days. And I'd still like to visit Bali. So that's 4 countries. In addition to this, there is a general desire among everyone to do a stopover in Europe en route and visit family. No way can all this happen in 3 weeks with our sanity in tact. If we could do 2 trips to Asia, then I'd suggest that, but we can only do this once over the next 5 years.

Spouse happily volunteered to sit in Y (without my asking). I was joking. We'd trade if it came to splitting up between Y and J.

I'd also like to say that kids don't always know best. Oldest sons and spouse were skeptical about a trip to Jamaica and now say it was one of their favorites. Sons were also anxious about long trip to South Africa, but now I hear them define their identity around it. "Life changing." Spouse and I both worried about a month in Nice, FR, but that length of time meant that we could all really settle in and "live" there. And that month plus a year of French study means I have a nearly fluent French speaking son. They loved their routine of morning croissants and afternoon pastries and getting to know the shopkeeps and neighbors.

And we are a close family. No one misbehaves, makes a trip "hell," or complains profusely. They are all game, but they don't always understand the connection between destination/complexity of trip/time etc.

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Good point. 5-6 weeks is a long time for a family to be on the road... my wife and I love travel (kids are too young to care), but after two weeks we start feeling kind of antsy to go home.
It is a long time, which is why I started this thread. I was looking for tips on managing these sorts of trips with family, which we've taken annually since our children were young. Spouse gets antsy, but then we are home for 2 days and boredom sets in. The common refrain post-trip is "why was I in a hurry to get home?" If only I could somehow get them to remember this sentiment when we are discussing the next trip!

So while I mentioned the naysaying and homebody inclinations of some of my family members, a lot of that response is in contradiction to what they want to do (5 countries in 3 weeks).
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
You are making some assumptions based on a generalization in my post.
You mean I shouldn't believe what you posted is accurate?

I'd also like to say that kids don't always know best. Oldest sons and spouse were skeptical about a trip to Jamaica and now say it was one of their favorites. Sons were also anxious about long trip to South Africa, but now I hear them define their identity around it. "Life changing." Spouse and I both worried about a month in Nice, FR, but that length of time meant that we could all really settle in and "live" there. And that month plus a year of French study means I have a nearly fluent French speaking son. They loved their routine of morning croissants and afternoon pastries and getting to know the shopkeeps and neighbors.
Kids definitely don't always know best, but oftentimes they know their own limits better than their parents do. Plus, as kids become teens there are often activities outside their family circle that they wish to do over the summer.

And we are a close family. No one misbehaves, makes a trip "hell," or complains profusely. They are all game, but they don't always understand the connection between destination/complexity of trip/time etc.
Then why don't you explain it to them, instead of posting on the web about it? And pardon me for being a bit skeptical about that second sentence after reading your various posts.

So while I mentioned the naysaying and homebody inclinations of some of my family members, a lot of that response is in contradiction to what they want to do (5 countries in 3 weeks).
Sorry, but it still looks like you're adding up 1+1+1+1 and getting 10. Because each individual makes a specific suggestion doesn't mean they also want an extended length trip incorporating all the suggestion. Plus, you say you take this sort of trip annually here but above you say only once every 5 years? Your posts still read like the mega trip is your sole property and you're trying to slot them into it.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:31 pm

HomeAway

HomeAway.com has home rentals where a family your size could book the entire house. With that many kids, make sure you get renters insurance which is very affordable: www.vacationrentalinsurance.com
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Kids definitely don't always know best, but oftentimes they know their own limits better than their parents do. Plus, as kids become teens there are often activities outside their family circle that they wish to do over the summer.
My 16 year old would be in open rebellion if I told her we'd be gone for 6 weeks over the summer. Making money. Over the summer AP homework. Her regular daycamp volunteer gig. Friends. Did I mention making money?

All of those may sound unimportant to a 40 something parent, but they are her life right now. I expect she'd choose to stay home with grandma, rather than miss her summer plans!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I think it's fair to say that parents know their own children better than other people do. And just because one teen reacts one way doesn't mean all teens will.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:00 am

Stgermainparis:

We did Asia this Summer - Flew direct to HKG (CX) - spend 4 nights. Direct to Bali (CX) - bit over 2 weeks. Air Asia to Bangkok (5 nights), Air Asia to Tokyo (5 nights) and return to US direct on UA. It worked very well and ticked all the boxes. We would've liked to stay longer in Japan but the direct flight (a few days earlier than planned) was to convenient to pass up. All flights in business on miles except Air Asia (in XL).

The alternative was to Bali to Singapore - and back through Sri Lanka and London (there's a cheap business option on UL).
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
Stgermainparis:

We did Asia this Summer - Flew direct to HKG (CX) - spend 4 nights. Direct to Bali (CX) - bit over 2 weeks. Air Asia to Bangkok (5 nights), Air Asia to Tokyo (5 nights) and return to US direct on UA. It worked very well and ticked all the boxes. We would've liked to stay longer in Japan but the direct flight (a few days earlier than planned) was to convenient to pass up. All flights in business on miles except Air Asia (in XL).

The alternative was to Bali to Singapore - and back through Sri Lanka and London (there's a cheap business option on UL).
Wow! That's nearly exactly what we are thinking about. Except only 1 week in Bali and the added Europe week on one end. I'm thrilled to hear that it worked well. We would do business (and thankfully I'm seeing general availability in J, esp since we are flexible, for all long hauls and some short hauls via *A carriers...though admittedly the dates haven't opened up yet...so we'll see). I also have looked at Air Asia so that if we can't find what we need on the RTW, we can substitute with some cheap intra-asia flights. Looks like you were gone 30+ days (the nights mentioned and the flights). I'm thinking we are going to end up at around 32-35 days. I'm encouraged by your comment and hope to replicate it! Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Feb 11, 2016 at 2:15 pm
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:40 pm

If adding Europe I'd limit Asia to 3 stops. e.g. HKG/TYO-DPS-BKK/SIN. E.g. With Alaska Air you can do CX to DPS with stop in HKG (last leg might be in economy).

You need more than a week for Bali 7-10 days Seminyak and 3-4 days Ubud is my suggestion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.