infant seat loophole?

Old Dec 9, 15, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

infant seat loophole?

Hi, I'll be flying with my 3 children: aged 1, 3, 7. The 1 yo will be a lap child, I know I know. The flight is $700 though. I'd love to get him into an empty seat on the plane, but I'm realizing that's highly unlikely. He makes for a terrible lap child at age 1 (way too wiggly). My 3yo makes for a great lap child! She loves to snuggle and watch the ipad on flights. Can I bring the carseat, put my 3yo daughter in it for take off and landing, and then move my 1yo over to it and let the 3yo snuggle with me? When the seatbelt sign comes on, I can move her back to her carseat and hold the 1 yo again, but what if he is asleep (the goal!) Would you, as a flight attendant, make me wake him to put her in the seat belt? Or would it not matter to you, because either way- there will be an unrestrained child?
Old Dec 19, 15, 9:20 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
I note your other post states you are a RN in the NICU, with lots of experience in car seat safety. *sigh*
Old Dec 21, 15, 10:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I would expect that the FA would make OP wake the baby and put him in the car seat, mainly because the 3 year old will just be too big to hold on to through real turbulence.

FWIW I wouldn't put too much stock into what the car seat police here says. I got a seat for my oldest once he hit 1.5 and that extra seat was totally useless as he still insisted on being held. The kind of person who'd grill me for bringing a 1.5 year old on board as a lap child would probably post about the annoying screamer sitting near them, which is inevitably what would happen when I'd try to force him into his car seat. Even as a 2.5 year old most of his time in the air would be spent in our arms.
Old Dec 24, 15, 9:54 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by 6rugrats View Post
I note your other post states you are a RN in the NICU, with lots of experience in car seat safety. *sigh*
This. Assuming it's a long flight (based on cost), I wouldn't expect the person in front of you to keep their seat forward so you can have the space to pull this off. It's hard enough to fit a young lap child in the space provided. I, for one, wouldn't be amenable to discomfort so someone else could save a buck.

I am a parent of two small kids, and I don't think lap children should be allowed. Period. I will say that up-front. But it really chaps my hide when people want not only lap children but to then eat their proverbial cake, too, by wanting to go even further outside the already (IMO) overly liberal lap child rules that already exist.
Old Dec 25, 15, 8:04 am

It shouldn't be a problem. In the US they tend to have the seatbelt sign on most of the time so you may have to do quite a bit of switching.

Search this Thread