Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Is boarding early with children rude?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is boarding early with children rude?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LPDAL
When the gate agent calls for people with small children or those who need a little extra time getting settled, it isn't rude to board if you fit either of the two aforementioned criteria.

-LPDAL
Yes, but people need to realize that a 17 year old six footer is neither young nor small. Also, having one little kid (or handicapped person) doesn't entitle the whole extended family to board early as one large group.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Have you ever seen a family try to do so only for a 6'-tall, 17-year-old without disabilities? I've never seen that in my several million miles of flying.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Also, having one little kid (or handicapped person) doesn't entitle the whole extended family to board early as one large group.
Who says so? It sometimes does and should, if only to make for a more timely departure of my flights.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Have you ever seen a family try to do so only for a 6'-tall, 17-year-old without disabilities? I've never seen that in my several million miles of flying.
I'm not nearly there, but I've never seen it either. I've also never seen an extended family board together, although I admit my husband leeches off my status and boards with me and my lap infant first as well.

I think perceptions are the problem here, really.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Kate2015
Which airlines allow families to preboard? I've only flown AA in years, and they don't.
Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
I've been pre-boarded with small children on both AA and Delta. It's not always consistent, but it's been more often than not since we started flying with small children 4 years ago.
Preboarded with AA in October with 3 month old, both legs of a NS RT. Both times we checked with gate agent and they called us up - maybe its GA discretion?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by levilevi
Preboarded with AA in October with 3 month old, both legs of a NS RT. Both times we checked with gate agent and they called us up - maybe its GA discretion?
I think with AA it may be one of those you need to ask things, because AA doesn't make a general announcement for preboards usually but rather will call those eligible up by name when it is time for them to board. This avoids the sudden flood of people who upon hearing that the disabled or small families get to board before everyone else suddenly remember that despite the fact they just ran through the airport they can't walk down a jetway very fast.

And yes, I have seen preboarding for families be abused unfortunately - in fact, someone I know thought that meant them because they were traveling with their 14 year old. Just like with certain provisions for the disabled, service animals, etc, seeing the abuse makes me upset because it can make it harder for those that really need those services and do follow the rules.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by swise
Jet Blue and Southwest both do preboarding of families with young children. I believe with JetBlue you may have to mention at the gate that you'd like it. Then, they will announce it when it is time. For both Southwest and JetBlue, IME, certain elites go first, then disabled passengers, then families with young kids, then the rest, as determined by the airline's policies.
Southwest's family boarding works differently.

They do preboards for disabilities only. Then they start with their groups. Now A1-A15 are reserved for elites, but the rest of the A group is open season.

Then after group A is done, then they do family boarding, then they call groups B and C.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Kate2015
Which airlines allow families to preboard? I've only flown AA in years, and they don't.
We flew four Delta trips in the last week and every one had preboarding for "infants in arms" families. There may have been a subsequent call for small children. This was the first time in 5+ years we were on Delta, flew US Airways exclusively prior to this trip and they stopped child pre boarding years ago.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
When I've flown with my daughter on AA, I do either preboard or go with the elites (I'm lifetime plat). I really appreciate the preboard since it allows me to get my daughter to sit in a seat near me while I install her car seat into hers. If I had to have her in our exact row or in the aisle when installing the car seat, I'd really slow down people behind us. I'm pretty fast at getting everything down the aisle and into our seats, but it still hard if people are pressing up behind us or I'm trying now to whack people in their seats. It is always just the two of us, so I don't have anyone else to help herd while I'm putting in the carsea
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Governments in the OECD world seem to more broadly disagree with you.

Ah, the pyramid growth fallacy. As an economist, that's pure cringe with the implicit premise that each human on average consumes more than they produce/contribute during their lifetime in govt. services. That's an unsustainable model for any growth rate. This fallacious view of public economics has stuck around mainly to defend the current immigration discourse and so is politically charged.

We need productivity growth per capita; not necessarily per country.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
Ah, the pyramid growth fallacy. As an economist, that's pure cringe with the implicit premise that each human on average consumes more than they produce/contribute during their lifetime in govt. services. That's an unsustainable model for any growth rate. This fallacious view of public economics has stuck around mainly to defend the current immigration discourse and so is politically charged.

We need productivity growth per capita; not necessarily per country.
Talk about barking up at a cloud. Now based to the ground realities:

Various governments in the OECD world have decided to allow for families with young children to travel together without paying a supplement to sit together so that young children have a responsible adult seated near them; and various airlines are concerned enough about liability and bad PR to make sure that young children are allowed to be seated next to an accompanying caregiver without charging a supplement for it.

Mandatory post-purchase charges not disclosed as mandatory at time of purchase are widely prohibited by OECD governments. This would apply to forcing separation of young children from accompanying adults unless and until a fee were paid as mandated by the airline despite not being disclosed in advance of purchase as being mandatory.

Do you really believe that a lap-child infant or four year old child should be seated in random seats away from the accompanying caregiver and/or additional oxygen mask in the row? Fortunately, governments and airline management tend to use common sense and be liability-shy when it comes to such matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.