What to bring for a 4m child...

Old Nov 18, 15, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
What to bring for a 4m child...

Hi all,

a friend of us will visit with his family (wife + 4m child);
first time on a plane with child; flight will be only 1h30m about.

Child is till too small to be on a stroller, he will be in something like this https://mammavale.files.wordpress.co...sbbblue885.jpg which will be placed on the same structure of the stroller.

He will fly with easyJet.
I think he cannot bring that item onboard, when shall he give to airline? Check-in or gate? It will be made of two pieces, structure with wheels and that item too.

On board, child with stay with one of parent, of course he will not have his own seat as he is only 4m old.

What about luggages or backpack with items for child?

Thanks
Marco
Old Nov 18, 15, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by MarcoGT View Post
Child is till too small to be on a stroller, he will be in something like this https://mammavale.files.wordpress.co...sbbblue885.jpg which will be placed on the same structure of the stroller.

On board, child with stay with one of parent, of course he will not have his own seat as he is only 4m old.

Marco
There's no "of course" about it. If the child is old enough to fly, he's old enough to have seat in which an infant safety seat (of some type) will fit. Without knowing exactly what route the infant will be on I can't guess what laws will govern what can be used - EU, UK, US or ?? In many situations, the type of infant seat you referenced could be used on the plane if it is approved by the air travel governing body overseeing the route. For example, in the US, many infant car seats have a sticker stating they are approved by the FAA for use during air travel.

Using the infant seat on board the plane is also the best way to get it from Point A to Point B without it being damaged. Checking a car seat is a great way to have it wrecked.
Old Nov 18, 15, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks for the answer.
I mean, for a 4 months old child, I think that its own seat is too much.

Route is in EU, MXP-HAM with U2

I do not know if their car seat is certified for the plane.
Old Nov 18, 15, 3:41 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by MarcoGT View Post
a friend of us will visit with his family (wife + 4m child);
first time on a plane with child; flight will be only 1h30m about.

He will fly with easyJet.
I think he cannot bring that item onboard, when shall he give to airline? Check-in or gate? It will be made of two pieces, structure with wheels and that item too.

What about luggages or backpack with items for child?
Did you do any research yourself, such as visiting the easyJet website?

The easyJet 'flying with children' page which is easily found from their homepage should answer all your questions: http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/prepa...-with-children
Old Nov 18, 15, 10:07 am

We took our infant son on many flights. I would estimate 20 flights before he was 6 months old.

I am solidly of the opinion that a separate seat was necessary for my comfort, my son's comfort and everyone's peace of mind (stress).

Our son was either asleep when we boarded or feel asleep shortly after when he was in his car seat (very similar to the carrier linked above). The flight was more comfortable for my husband and I because we could move freely (well, as much as possible given the space constraints).

If they do need to gate check their carrier, they should have a sturdy/tough bag to keep it clean and provide some measure of protection.

When you mention structure, I assume you referring to what I (an American) would call a stroller base such as this?

Amazon Amazon

If so, they should also have a bag as strollers are easily damaged in transit.

I found a backpack to be the best baby gear bag.

You are a good friend for helping them plan but I say this gently, new parents tend to be very opinionated about what is best for their child and they may not take you advice
Old Nov 18, 15, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
That's a short and easy flight. We recently flew to Arizona (2 hours) with our 3 month old daughter, and then went to Puerto Vallarta Mexico (3.5 hour flight) with here at 4.5 months old.

Bring a backpack with supplies for the baby. Pack a couple gallon sized zip lock bag, two changes of clothes, double the diapers & wipes you think you'd usually use over that span of time, a few quiet toys, multiple pacifiers along with the little straps that attach to them so they don't fall down, and snacks/water for the parents. It's unlikely but be prepared in case there's a long tarmac delay, the flight gets diverted, etc. If the child is nursing, bring a cover up or blanket. If the child is formula fed bring multiple clean, empty bottles and get a bottle of water after security reserved only for formula. The small packs of formula sticks (pre measured packs to make 4 oz formula) are great for planes.

Nurse or give a bottle at take off, but WAIT until the wheels are actually off the ground. With our first child we'd jump the gun sometimes and feed as the engines revved up, and our son would be finished as the plane is just getting in the air.

Get to security 1.5 hours before your flight, so get to the airport however early you need so you'll be in the security line on time.

If you have a car seat adapter for your stroller, bring the stroller and the baby in the car seat. Take it through security and then gate check them. You'll get a tag from the gate agent to put on each item, then roll them down the jetway and leave them folded up just before getting on the plane.

The baby carriers that strap to your chest are good. About 15 minute before boarding starts (1 hour before flight time) she'll change our daughter and get her in the baby carrier. Makes boarding easier. If you don't need overhead space or can send someone on first, I prefer waiting to board until the very end (instead of getting on first). Usually I will get on with our bags and the stroller car seat. My wife will board about 20-30 minutes after me. It's MUCH less stressful to have the baby in the terminal than it is in the seat, if the baby is fussy.

Try to feed the baby about 1 hour before the scheduled departure, so that they aren't hungry during boarding, but would be ready to eat once the plane is in the air. Actual take off will probably be 15-30 minutes after they close the doors on the plane.

Finally nurse the baby on descent, when you start to feel pressure in your own ears.
Old Nov 18, 15, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by roknroll View Post
If the child is nursing, bring a cover up or blanket.
WHY?

Using, or not using, a cover up over a nursing infant is strictly a personal choice, often made by the person of the infant. My kid would never tolerate one, and I would never have tolerated being told that I had to use to one to comply with somebody else's delicate sensibilities. Furthermore if you travel with an infant outside the US you will see most of the rest of the world is a whole lot less hung up about a normal human function than Americans.
Old Nov 18, 15, 7:47 pm

Programs: BAEC, Priority Club, Fairmont Presidents Club
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/pa...-yourself-sign
Old Nov 20, 15, 8:19 am

FIigured I'd just add experience - first time dad, first time flying with 4mo old last month DCA-ORD (in the air about 1.5 hrs, same as your friends' flight).

Echo the feeding at takeoff and descent.

I found the most stressful time to be security, and my wife and I both have PreCheck (in the US, that is expedited security - dont take off shoes, belts, liquids, etc).

ABsolutely check the carrier at the gate - and put the bottom part (the "stroller") and the carrier in a bag - we bought this:
Amazon Amazon

But there are plenty with more padding/less bright coloring

At 4 months, our baby girl really just slept, ate and was interested in our faces and interacting - we brought along a teething toy, and that was it.

Beware ground delays... and change before boarding, just in case.
Old Nov 20, 15, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by levilevi View Post
ABsolutely check the carrier at the gate - and put the bottom part (the "stroller") and the carrier in a bag - we bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/Childress-Gate.../dp/B000RRD7UG
Stick around here long enough and you'll see why many (most?) veteran parents wouldn't dream of trusting their child's safety seat to the baggage handlers. I'd say absolutely never gate check the infant carrier.
Old Nov 20, 15, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Car seats being dropped or hitting things can compromise their effectiveness to protect its occupant -- whether or not damage is visible to the naked eye. If checking in a car seat, boxing it up would be advisable.
Old Nov 21, 15, 11:52 am

I think the choice was check in or gate, not carry aboard - with those to options, gate lesser of 2 evils?
Old Nov 21, 15, 12:26 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Easyjet does not allow the use of rear facing seats so that doesn't leave you with much option travelling with an infant regarding them having a seat or not, i've yet to see a car seat being gate checked, i've mainly seen them being checked at the desk wrapped in bubblewrap and then taped...

Easyjet allows a pushchair and a car seat to be checked for free, note that they may not get them back until baggage claim
Old Nov 21, 15, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by fredandgingermad View Post
Easyjet does not allow the use of rear facing seats so that doesn't leave you with much option travelling with an infant regarding them having a seat or not, i've yet to see a car seat being gate checked, i've mainly seen them being checked at the desk wrapped in bubblewrap and then taped...

Easyjet allows a pushchair and a car seat to be checked for free, note that they may not get them back until baggage claim
I'd put the kid in a forward facing before I'd check the safety seat. The type of forces you are subject to in a plane are different than those in an auto. For example, very few airplanes are rear-ended.

If someone is determined to check the seat, wrap it well, counter check it and pray.

Search this Thread