FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel with Children (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children-221/)
-   -   Checking in question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children/1721752-checking-question.html)

Machiavelli999 Nov 3, 2015 5:04 pm

Checking in question

Hello,

I am flying with my infant son for the first time in a few weeks. I am worried about having the time to get to the airport and get through all the lines. Is it true that I will not be able to print out my boarding passes ahead of time because I need to get the infant boarding pass at the desk?

P.S.: I am flying United if that makes any difference

MSPeconomist Nov 3, 2015 5:08 pm

Domestic or international? (Does the lap kid have a ticket? And what's the route?)

Machiavelli999 Nov 3, 2015 7:50 pm

Flying domestic. And that's what I'm asking. Will I be able to print out my boarding pass for the lap child prior to check in so I can skip the check in counter.

Flying SFO to CLE

6rugrats Nov 4, 2015 8:11 am

I don't think anyone can give you this answer with 100% certainty. You'll have to see what happens when you try on-line check in.

Redhead Nov 4, 2015 8:56 am

I was able to check in online with a domestic lap-child. It will usually ask you to indicate a lap child at time of check-in. If it doesn't, you will need to go to the desk. The infant doesn't get a separate boarding pass, just a note on your saying either "lap child" or "infant in arms".

I know that AA's kiosks also ask if you have a lap child when using them.

Without data on which airline, it is harder to answer

MSPeconomist Nov 4, 2015 8:59 am

OP says it's UA.

I've never been asked by DL during OLCI whether I have a lap kid.

levilevi Nov 4, 2015 3:06 pm

This is a recent datapoint for AA, I know you are asking UA, but I just called AA reservations about 4 days prior to the flight to inform them - and "WITH INFANT" showed up on OLCI/printed boarding pass (and mobile as well) - went straight to security.

DO be absolutely sure and if worried about time, I'd call UA reservations.

AsiaTraveler Nov 4, 2015 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 25662361)
OP says it's UA.

I've never been asked by DL during OLCI whether I have a lap kid.

On Delta, you can actually add your own lap child online by going under "special services." I really like that a lot as it saves a phone call, but sometimes it can be a pain- you can only sit in certain seats on certain planes with a lap child, and if you're in one of the "illegal" seats it just rejects the lap child without telling you which seat is an issue.

I would call United or search their website for information on adding the lap child. Generally doing it ahead of time is the way to go, although that doesn't mean that you won't have to repeat the info three times anyway. AA & DL will still let you OLCI with a lap child; I am not sure about UA.

blondeterp Nov 24, 2015 12:56 pm

Domestic I've been able to check in fine with an infant at the auto kiosk.