Earliest time for INTL flights?

Old Oct 31, 15, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
Earliest time for INTL flights?

How early is it advisable to take a child on an International trip to a reasonably developed area? Wife and I are considering a trip to Australia (which I realize could be risky on the long flight) or to Europe (Paris/London/Barcelona/Amsterdam). I read up on immunization schedules but am not sure which ones should absolutely be done before travelling to any of these areas. Is 6 months a minimum? Would 4-5 months be OK?
Old Nov 1, 15, 7:13 am

The smaller the better. Once they can crawl/walk it will be much more difficult. Some countries are more accommodating with small kids - do a search for suggestions.
Old Nov 1, 15, 10:17 am

Programs: DL MM, AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat
Everybody has their own tolerances. Here in the US, the full vaccine series is typically complete at 2 years. Obviously many of us take our kids on international trips before then.
Old Nov 3, 15, 11:50 am

Programs: SAS Gold, BA Bronze, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Went to the Maldives when my daughter was 5 months. Nothing hard about it so I would say as soon as you feel you've got a handle on the kiddo fly away...
Old Nov 6, 15, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club
From previous threads, it seems like the most challenging thing about flying with kids that small is that you may be booking those flights before they are born and their temperament is clear. Also, time zone changes can be very challenging with small ones.
Old Nov 6, 15, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
There should be no health issues traveling to Europe or Australia.

Make sure to book in F, though, so you have some extra space. It will be well worth it.
Old Nov 8, 15, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
There should be no health issues traveling to Europe or Australia.

Make sure to book in F*, though, so you have some extra space. It will be well worth it.
*After fully understanding how lap children in premium cabins work internationally. AFAIK, you'd almost have to do a lap child as the seats generally are so far apart that I'm not sure how else you'd be able to supervise a child that small.
Old Nov 10, 15, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA, UA, SPG
Agreed - if you're going in J or F then be sure to research the cabin layouts and make sure you're comfortable with that - e.g. CX and their herringbone seats in J means that you can't even see the occupant of another seat - so impossible to supervise if you went for a seat for them. Lap child at that age would be fine since at that young age (less than 18 months) you're likely to spend more time holding them than not.

Happy travels!
Old Nov 11, 15, 10:12 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
First trip I took my daughter on at 6m was internationally to the US, didn't have any issues, only reason we didn't fly before that was issues with completing the passport form correctly (paperwork required and so on)

Search this Thread