FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel with Children (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children-221/)
-   -   Travel Question: help please! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children/1702156-travel-question-help-please.html)

GMAN18 Aug 12, 2015 2:31 pm

Travel Question: help please!

Okay so my girlfriend is 17 and lives in Ireland and I in America, we were both wondering about how she could come back to USA with me. Does the "flying with children" thing apply? I am 18 years old and I was wondering if she would need a parental signature even if I was to go get her and fly back with her? would she be forced to have a signature or would she be okay since she would be flying with me and I'm considered an adult?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Distilled Aug 12, 2015 2:49 pm

I can't wait for this thread to play out. Ready, set, go...

Often1 Aug 12, 2015 3:03 pm

On what basis will she be admitted to the USA (if by America you mean US, as opposed to other countries)?

obscure2k Aug 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk GMAN18
I am moving this thread to the Travel With Children Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

BearX220 Aug 12, 2015 3:05 pm

The bigger issue is not her age, but her visa and reason for visiting the US. She will be visiting, right?

Distilled Aug 12, 2015 4:15 pm

Okay, so I'll ask the obvious. If it is okay for her to come, and has the proper credentials to get in, why would it be a problem to get a parental signature. If she is coming against her parents wishes, what exactly is the law about an "adult" flying overseas to bring back a minor against her parents disapproval. I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't want to be the one to find out....

GMAN18 Aug 12, 2015 8:31 pm

The visa would be a B-2 visitors visa i think is what its called, the obvious? All i did was ask its a genuine question do we need to get a signiture or not? If so its no problem? I was just asking cause i want to know what i have to do? Because everyone i ask is unsure? Thats the problem with this world they make assumptions that are incorrect without even knowing? I was just asking if it is needed? I see how helpful this sites gonna be

CDTraveler Aug 12, 2015 8:40 pm

I doubt you'd run into problems with her being 17 and flying. However U.S. law enforcement might have issues with your reason for bringing a girl who is technically a minor into the country, and immigration might as well. Is she coming to be a student, to work, or to socialize? What is needed may depend on her reason for coming to the U.S.

GMAN18 Aug 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Thank you thats all i needed to know, shes just coming tp visit for a few months and im going to visit her for a few months her parents included just wanted to know of we needed to sign i dont know why the guy who first commented got all crazy with assumptions?

MSPeconomist Aug 12, 2015 8:49 pm

To be blunt: Your flying TATL to bring an underage girl on an international flight could look like trafficking. If she doesn't have her parents' consent to make the trip, both of you could be in trouble but you much more than her. In some jurisdictions, there could be a presumption of statutory rape since she might be below the age of consent (in some but certainly not all places in the USA) while you are considered to be an adult.

She can fly without an adult at 17, but she probably needs some particular form of documented parental consent to check in and cross borders at 17. Do her parents really approve of their seventeen-year-old daughter visiting an older guy in another country for several months? Does she have sufficient maturity for this? Would she miss several months of school? What about your school or work? There are also issues such as medical power of attorney (since minors cannot make most medical decisions, including in emergencies). BTW, I hope you've thought about medical insurance for the trip.

Also BTW, how did you meet and how well do you know each other? If you've only "met" online, please think a million times before proceding with this.

CDTraveler Aug 13, 2015 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by GMAN18 (Post 25263300)
Thank you thats all i needed to know, shes just coming tp visit for a few months and im going to visit her for a few months her parents included just wanted to know of we needed to sign i dont know why the guy who first commented got all crazy with assumptions?

The people here made assumptions probably because they are older than you and have a lot more life experience.

In case you haven't figured it out yet: bringing an underage, i.e. 17 year old girl, into the U.S. as your "girlfriend" for an extended visit is going to look really bad to Customs & Immigration and probably a few more people. You might hear words like "human trafficking" and "statutory rape" depending on where you live. Immigration will likely wonder if she planning to enter the country and then stay illegally.

Personally what I'm thinking is "Are her parents flaming nuts? "

azepine00 Aug 13, 2015 11:12 pm

I dont see how this belongs to teavel witn children forum - this is clearly not the meaning herr. Maybe USA forum is a better place.

To op - dont have an answer for you but it may be a better plan to visit her or plan a trip to europe until she is 18. Common sense suggests that 18 and 17 year olds are peers (rather than adult and child) but the laws in this country dont necessarily follow common sense and there is a chance of some really bad consequences.

BearX220 Aug 14, 2015 10:31 am

Originally Posted by GMAN18 (Post 25263300)
shes just coming tp visit for a few months... i dont know why the guy who first commented got all crazy with assumptions?

"A few months" may be a problem. That's a lot longer than a standard tourist visit and may look like an illegal immigration attempt.

As for the comments you've drawn upthread that you didn't quite like, you did ask a bunch of experienced travelers for their opinions. Sorry if we didn't validate your preconceptions. (Most of us are somewhat older than you, too, and I for one would be disinclined to send my teenager daughter off to America alone for "months," knowing the potential dangers, but that's just me.)

Originally Posted by CDTraveler (Post 25268693)
...bringing an underage, i.e. 17 year old girl, into the U.S. as your "girlfriend" for an extended visit is going to look really bad to Customs & Immigration...

Yup. She should be prepared to prove she's not planning to remain in the US permanently.

Blueskyheaven Aug 14, 2015 1:46 pm

bit too young you are bro, focus on study and education first! my advice and opinion

VickiSoCal Aug 14, 2015 2:18 pm

For one thing you won't be together when you enter at all. She's going to go to the non-resident/US passport line, you are going to go to the US line.

She should have a return ticket, funds for the length of stay and a reason for the visit. Parent permission as well and a statement from the parents that they are financially responsible for her.