SWA-Infant BC Exemption?

Old Aug 6, 15, 8:49 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: CX, DL, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Posts: 447
Let's be clear here.. the SWA website and their reps clearly and unambiguously say that a BC is required for a lap-infant. Other forms of ID are acceptable for child that has a seat purchased.

In practice, we recently were not asked for any documentation when checking in (with a ~3month old) on either leg of our trip. Will a passport suffice on the day if asked? Most likely, yes. However, OP is well within reason to be a little concerned they will require a BC since that is what all documentation regarding lap infants points out.
eyeballer is online now  
Old Aug 6, 15, 9:05 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: BOS-TLV
Programs: Lots of them, no status
Posts: 1,289
Well within reason to be concerned? Yes, perhaps. I agree that their web site sounds very adamant about a BC vs other documentation (although I don't believe that isn't the case at the end of the day). So reason for concern? Sure. However, his (her?) unwillingness to do any or all of the things that could avoid the potential for issues (not that I believe there will actually BE issues...), such as:
1. Buy the child a ticket which clearly on the SW website exempts the child from any age verification whatsoever.
2. Fly with someone who doesn't have these requirements.
3. Obtain a BC.

Flying off the handle at others on this board and declaring how "illegal" this is of southwest, etc. because you don't like the alternatives available is ridiculous.

Next up: Another "The airline kicked me and my toddler off the plane" manufactured outrage headline when (again) the passenger is in the wrong, not the airline.
vicarious_MR'er is offline  
Old Aug 6, 15, 9:12 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: CX, DL, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Posts: 447
Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er View Post
Well within reason to be concerned? Yes, perhaps. I agree that their web site sounds very adamant about a BC vs other documentation (although I don't believe that isn't the case at the end of the day). So reason for concern? Sure. However, his (her?) unwillingness to do any or all of the things that could avoid the potential for issues (not that I believe there will actually BE issues...), such as:
1. Buy the child a ticket which clearly on the SW website exempts the child from any age verification whatsoever.
2. Fly with someone who doesn't have these requirements.
3. Obtain a BC.

Flying off the handle at others on this board and declaring how "illegal" this is of southwest, etc. because you don't like the alternatives available is ridiculous.

Next up: Another "The airline kicked me and my toddler off the plane" manufactured outrage headline when (again) the passenger is in the wrong, not the airline.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing about the many solutions (another one of which is doing nothing and showing up with a passport), but there's a lot of mis-information about passports being "officially " accepted.

Also, all this has been on the southwest website the whole time, so OP really should have read all the rules governing lap-infants prior to purchasing a ticket.

As for attitude on the board...
eyeballer is online now  
Old Aug 6, 15, 9:22 am
  #49  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 48,680
Originally Posted by UNGGOY View Post
Still does not explain the logic in the thinking "Nope. 4 forms of National Photo ID and 8 official secondary IDS are not acceptable. We will only accept a piece of paper with no authority".

I mean, at this point, I could just print off some fake birth certificates. I own a printer, and we have Kinkos and whatnot here. But I should not have to. It is one of the silliest things I have ever heard...
There is no need for WN to explain anything. If push comes to shove, arguing policy with an agent will get you nowhere.

WN could prohibit lap infants altogether, it could require that lap infants present a passport or a BC. I've seen liquor outlets in this country which require a valid DL or state ID card from all purchasers and expressly state that foreign documents are unacceptable. That is up to the carrier / establishment. Dumb? Maybe. But, legal? Yes.
Often1 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 15, 11:50 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: IAD
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 707
Your unnecessary rudeness, especially towards people who are trying to help you, is appalling. Maybe you should stop posting on online boards if you are going to be so unkind to those who don't give you the answers you want. I am done trying to help you.

Last edited by bdschobel; Aug 6, 15 at 1:05 pm Reason: removed deleted quote
lost*in*cyberspace is offline  
Old Aug 6, 15, 4:20 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club
Posts: 1,203
Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
That's not what I read from that section at all. That section is about age verification for passengers on FARES that have an age restriction (maximum or minimum). A lap infant doesn't have a fare or ticket, they're just an add-on to an existing passenger, and so there's no point in trying to set up a Rapid Rewards account for them (as the link you provided would have you do).

A passport is valid for age verification for a senior or child fare, but not, apparently, for lap child status. Why not, I have no idea.

From the SW website, on lap infants:

"If you choose to travel with your infant on your lap (at no additional charge) the infant will not need a boarding pass; however, you will need to obtain a Boarding Verification Document (BVD) for the infant. The BVD will allow the infant to board the aircraft. BVDs are available at the Southwest Airlines ticket counter on the day of travel. In order to complete your BVD, the Customer Service Agent will need to verify that your infant has not reached his/her second birthday, so be sure to bring along a copy of your infant's birth certificate."

https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...USTOMER-INFANT
Actually, I think Southwest is confusing matters here themselves. They say on that page that you have to have a copy of the birth certificate. But the "learn more" link at the end of that statement goes back to the Age Verified page that has been referenced that says that other types of ID are valid. It doesn't say anything on that page about the age verification process not applying to lap infants, although it does note that on the Online Check In page.
AsiaTraveler is offline  
Old Aug 9, 15, 5:52 pm
  #52  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er View Post
You've got this exactly wrong. The government regulates the airline, and part of those regulations say children under 2 *may* be permitted to fly on an adult's lap, and children >2 *MUST* occupy their own seat. It doesn't say that under 2's *MUST* be allowed to fly on an adult's lap, and it says nothing about if, how, or when an airline shall verify the age of the child. How to ensure their own adherence to the FAA regulations about <2 vs. >2 is the airline's business, no one else's. Most airlines other than Southwest have more of a "don't ask, don't tell" approach, but Southwest has determined they aren't willing to deal with the ramifications from FAA if someone lies to them and sneaks an >2 onto a lap. That's their own risk management conclusion, and they are entitled to it.

Hell, the FAA only says <2 *may* be on an adult's lap, but the individual airlines are well within their own rights to exceed the FAA minimum seating requirements and disallow lap infants altogether. (And I, for one, wish they would...) In such a case they'd be meeting FAA regs. They aren't obligated to allow it, only PERMITTED to allow it.
Have you a reference to these laws?
UNGGOY is offline  
Old Aug 9, 15, 6:01 pm
  #53  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er View Post
Well within reason to be concerned? Yes, perhaps. I agree that their web site sounds very adamant about a BC vs other documentation (although I don't believe that isn't the case at the end of the day). So reason for concern? Sure. However, his (her?) unwillingness to do any or all of the things that could avoid the potential for issues (not that I believe there will actually BE issues...), such as:
1. Buy the child a ticket which clearly on the SW website exempts the child from any age verification whatsoever.
2. Fly with someone who doesn't have these requirements.
3. Obtain a BC.

Flying off the handle at others on this board and declaring how "illegal" this is of southwest, etc. because you don't like the alternatives available is ridiculous.

Next up: Another "The airline kicked me and my toddler off the plane" manufactured outrage headline when (again) the passenger is in the wrong, not the airline.
What am I not willing to do? It is comments like yours that are rude and frustrating. The things you listed are not options for me. As I have said many times.

1. Costs money. We do not have money. In fact, thanks to a Nigerian fraud, we will be homeless for the next week, somehow running around with everything we own, on foot, doing business, and waiting for our connecting flight.
2. No refunds. No way to get my money back and book elsewhere. Impossible to book a flight for 5 people, 6 crates, and 6 bags for $350 in 2 days. Unless you know an option for us?
3. Impossible. Been waiting more than 1.5 years for mine, for the State I was born in the same as my one son. The other I cannot even apply for, as there is no consulate in this state.

You claim I have an "unwillingness" to do any of these seemingly impossible things. Yet, you do not give ANY advice about the secrets to how one may accomplish them!
UNGGOY is offline  
Old Aug 10, 15, 6:23 am
  #54  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: BOS-TLV
Programs: Lots of them, no status
Posts: 1,289
Originally Posted by UNGGOY View Post
Have you a reference to these laws?
You're free to browse faa.gov anytime you like.
vicarious_MR'er is offline  
Old Aug 10, 15, 6:24 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: BOS-TLV
Programs: Lots of them, no status
Posts: 1,289
Originally Posted by UNGGOY View Post
What am I not willing to do? It is comments like yours that are rude and frustrating. The things you listed are not options for me. As I have said many times.

1. Costs money. We do not have money. In fact, thanks to a Nigerian fraud, we will be homeless for the next week, somehow running around with everything we own, on foot, doing business, and waiting for our connecting flight.
2. No refunds. No way to get my money back and book elsewhere. Impossible to book a flight for 5 people, 6 crates, and 6 bags for $350 in 2 days. Unless you know an option for us?
3. Impossible. Been waiting more than 1.5 years for mine, for the State I was born in the same as my one son. The other I cannot even apply for, as there is no consulate in this state.

You claim I have an "unwillingness" to do any of these seemingly impossible things. Yet, you do not give ANY advice about the secrets to how one may accomplish them!
If flying according to FAA regulations and airline-specific regulations is "not an option" for you, then looks like not flying at all is your option. Show up with your passport, which I am still very confident will work JUST FINE, and go with the flow. The "impossibility" of doing anything else makes this your only choice. I'm pretty sure you've exhausted just about all the willingness on anyone here's part to even try to help you or make suggestions to you.
vicarious_MR'er is offline  
Old Aug 10, 15, 8:07 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Posts: 6,719
Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er View Post
Southwest has determined they aren't willing to deal with the ramifications from FAA if someone lies to them and sneaks an >2 onto a lap. That's their own risk management conclusion, and they are entitled to it.
It's also their own revenue generation conclusion. Southwest serves a lot of families and leisure travelers (higher % than for the other majors), and they've got an interest (quite apart from the FAA regs) that people who are obliged to pay for seats (i.e. >2 years old) do in fact pay for seats.

I really can't imagine that the other US majors would be using a good faith "if the pax tells us the kid is under 2, we'll take their word for it, absent clear absurdity" standard, if they believed that exposed them to any significant regulatory risk from the FAA.
cestmoi123 is offline  
Old Aug 10, 15, 9:48 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: BOS-TLV
Programs: Lots of them, no status
Posts: 1,289
Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
It's also their own revenue generation conclusion. Southwest serves a lot of families and leisure travelers (higher % than for the other majors), and they've got an interest (quite apart from the FAA regs) that people who are obliged to pay for seats (i.e. >2 years old) do in fact pay for seats.

I really can't imagine that the other US majors would be using a good faith "if the pax tells us the kid is under 2, we'll take their word for it, absent clear absurdity" standard, if they believed that exposed them to any significant regulatory risk from the FAA.
Yes, very possible and perhaps even quite likely. Either way, still well within their prerogative
vicarious_MR'er is offline  
Old Aug 10, 15, 10:13 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: IAD
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 707
Originally Posted by UNGGOY View Post
.....

1. Costs money. We do not have money. In fact, thanks to a Nigerian fraud, we will be homeless for the next week, somehow running around with everything we own, on foot, doing business, and waiting for our connecting flight.
accomplish them!......
You lost all your money in a Nigerian fraud? Now I'm convinced OP is not serious about his/her posts!
lost*in*cyberspace is offline  
Old Aug 10, 15, 10:17 am
  #59  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: BOS-TLV
Programs: Lots of them, no status
Posts: 1,289
Glad I'm not the only one who had that cross their mind
vicarious_MR'er is offline  
Old Aug 10, 15, 9:33 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Posts: 6,719
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
You lost all your money in a Nigerian fraud? Now I'm convinced OP is not serious about his/her posts!
Yeah, me too. The part about only earning $200-300 per month was a bit suspicious as well...
cestmoi123 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: