SWA-Infant BC Exemption?

Old Aug 1, 15, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
So much ado about nothing! A passport is fine for lap infant id. Did you even try calling Southwest to ask?

https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...c=age_verified
Several hundred dollars in not "nothing" to me. Sorry.

And did you even try to read?

I have e-mailed them and called them.

Passport is NOT acceptable.

The link you posted says nothing about lap infants. Why did you post that in this thread? That page talks about verifying the age, for online check-in, in a Rapid Rewards Account, for passengers traveling on infant, child, and senior fares.

Nothing on that page for lap infants.

Seriously. Two people linking that page without even reading it.

https://www.southwest.com/pets/
Old Aug 1, 15, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The bottom line here is that whether it's a good idea or not and whether WN ought to accept alternative docs such as a passport, doesn't help OP. Have to plan for providing a birth certificate or buying a seat.

It appears that OP is traveling in the US and lives outside the country. If that is the case, the possibility of cancelling and retaining the value for other tickets later and then looking for a bargain which might exist now on other carriers isn't an option (as it's also intimated that these are restricted).
Yes, exactly.

Despite my global travels, we are not rich. In fact, we are returning home where I make US$200-$300 a month as a highly successful office employee. Just for perspective.

I am just trying to find out if there is some exception, or exemption, or if it may even be illegal.

At this point in the game, we cannot purchase different tickets. Not even with SWA. Even an infant fare would put us past our budget and we will be homeless and hungry when we return home...

It really is just an oddball rule. I mean, I am an intelligent person that thinks everything through. This never crossed my mind.
Old Aug 1, 15, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by themicah View Post
WN requires a copy of a birth certificate, not an original. I've flown WN several times with a lapchild and a photocopy of a birth certificate (no raised seal or anything of the sort) has always sufficed. That said, I've never flown WN with a lap child remotely approaching the age of 2 (we usually start buying seats around the time they learn to walk, as they start to get too squirmy to safely/comfortably hold on a lap).
They actually require an original. But not all original vital records have raised seals. Which is funny. Raised seals are an old thing that many nations are not using any more. Besides that, who ever verifies a raised seal? At least half the raised seals I have seen are unintelligible. lol Besides, WHERE would you verify the raised seal? There is no national online database of the trillions of raised seals out there. Further, you can buy or make your own raised seals anywhere...

We don't plan on holding the infants. Lap infants can go in a car seat in an empty seat, or if they are bigger, just sit in a seat. If there is room.

Besides, most SWA flights are just take-off and landing. 45 min to an hour.
Old Aug 1, 15, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The FAA requires that every passenger 2+ be in their own seat for takeoff and landing and that there be a seat available for that person when the Captain has the seatbelt sign is illuminated.

How the carrier assures that is up to the carrier. WN chooses to require a birth certificate. As a private company, it's up to WN. Other carriers eyeball the kid. They are willing to take the risk.

I can assure you that I am no fan of WN. I dislike its business model intensely. But, the one thing it does have going for it is uniformity. If they say "X", it's "X".
Still does not explain the logic in the thinking "Nope. 4 forms of National Photo ID and 8 official secondary IDS are not acceptable. We will only accept a piece of paper with no authority".

I mean, at this point, I could just print off some fake birth certificates. I own a printer, and we have Kinkos and whatnot here. But I should not have to. It is one of the silliest things I have ever heard...
Old Aug 1, 15, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

This one too:

https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...index-pol.html
Old Aug 1, 15, 9:52 pm

SWA-Infant BC Exemption?

Any child under 2 can sit in your lap or in an approved carseat. Technically a child under 2 can not occupy a seat without a CRS.
Old Aug 2, 15, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by UNGGOY View Post
Several hundred dollars in not "nothing" to me. Sorry.

And did you even try to read?

I have e-mailed them and called them.

Passport is NOT acceptable.

The link you posted says nothing about lap infants. Why did you post that in this thread? That page talks about verifying the age, for online check-in, in a Rapid Rewards Account, for passengers traveling on infant, child, and senior fares.

Nothing on that page for lap infants.

Seriously. Two people linking that page without even reading it.

https://www.southwest.com/pets/
Maybe you should lose the attitude when you are asking people for help.

It appears that you don't understand that if you follow the instructions in the link to age verify your lap infant before the flight, you will not have to provide proof of age at the airport. You will be able to check in online for the infant, bypassing any need for interaction with the ticket counter.

Also, despite what uninformed telephone reps have told you, a passport is valid for age verification. Believe it or not.
Old Aug 3, 15, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
It appears that you don't understand that if you follow the instructions in the link to age verify your lap infant before the flight, you will not have to provide proof of age at the airport. You will be able to check in online for the infant, bypassing any need for interaction with the ticket counter.
That's not what I read from that section at all. That section is about age verification for passengers on FARES that have an age restriction (maximum or minimum). A lap infant doesn't have a fare or ticket, they're just an add-on to an existing passenger, and so there's no point in trying to set up a Rapid Rewards account for them (as the link you provided would have you do).

A passport is valid for age verification for a senior or child fare, but not, apparently, for lap child status. Why not, I have no idea.

From the SW website, on lap infants:

"If you choose to travel with your infant on your lap (at no additional charge) the infant will not need a boarding pass; however, you will need to obtain a Boarding Verification Document (BVD) for the infant. The BVD will allow the infant to board the aircraft. BVDs are available at the Southwest Airlines ticket counter on the day of travel. In order to complete your BVD, the Customer Service Agent will need to verify that your infant has not reached his/her second birthday, so be sure to bring along a copy of your infant's birth certificate."

https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...USTOMER-INFANT
Old Aug 5, 15, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
That's not what I read from that section at all. That section is about age verification for passengers on FARES that have an age restriction (maximum or minimum). A lap infant doesn't have a fare or ticket, they're just an add-on to an existing passenger, and so there's no point in trying to set up a Rapid Rewards account for them (as the link you provided would have you do).

A passport is valid for age verification for a senior or child fare, but not, apparently, for lap child status. Why not, I have no idea.

"If you choose to travel with your infant on your lap (at no additional charge) the infant will not need a boarding pass; however, you will need to obtain a Boarding Verification Document (BVD) for the infant. The BVD will allow the infant to board the aircraft. BVDs are available at the Southwest Airlines ticket counter on the day of travel. In order to complete your BVD, the Customer Service Agent will need to verify that your infant has not reached his/her second birthday, so be sure to bring along a copy of your infant's birth certificate."

I have traveled with a lap child on Southwest and all I can tell you is that verifying the age in advance of the flight was all I needed to do to not have to show proof of age at the airport. Doing this allows you to check the lap child in online.

I am not responding anymore to the issue of needing a birth certificate. Despite what Southwest's web site says, a passport will work for age verification, believe it or not. They probably only list a BC because they tend to have many inexperienced travelers who likely don't have passports and don't want to complicate the issue. Look at how many Flyertalkers don't understand; I assume they are more experienced than many Southwest travelers.
Old Aug 5, 15, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GalleyWench View Post
Any child under 2 can sit in your lap or in an approved carseat. Technically a child under 2 can not occupy a seat without a CRS.
The trick is getting SWA to know this!
Old Aug 5, 15, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post

Thank you kind user.

Knowing that I am not the only one in the world reading this makes me feel better.

It is frustrating. Especially since it is such a weird rule to me.

Several people here said that as a private company, that they may require whatever they wish. But are they not Federally regulated? For example, can they just make a rule that lap infants cannot fly unless they have a Texas ID? Or that they need a Tribal ID cad? Or that they cannot fly unless they have a Green Card only. Just seems odd to me, and possibly illegal...
Old Aug 5, 15, 11:29 am
Original Poster

I have traveled with a lap child on Southwest and all I can tell you is that verifying the age in advance of the flight was all I needed to do to not have to show proof of age at the airport. Doing this allows you to check the lap child in online.

I am not responding anymore to the issue of needing a birth certificate. Despite what Southwest's web site says, a passport will work for age verification, believe it or not. They probably only list a BC because they tend to have many inexperienced travelers who likely don't have passports and don't want to complicate the issue. Look at how many Flyertalkers don't understand; I assume they are more experienced than many Southwest travelers.
Well, we are not very experienced flyers, I think. But 2 year old has flown internationally several times.

You need a passport to fly internationally.

BC will not suffice.
Old Aug 5, 15, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

More information that SWA "doesn't know what they are talking about" according to some users here...

"* This only applies to infants traveling on an infant fare. Customers traveling with children under two years old who are traveling as lap children must still present a valid birth certificate for the child and check in with a Customer Service Agent at the airport."

https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...online_checkin
Old Aug 6, 15, 8:09 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Maybe you should lose the attitude when you are asking people for help.
^
+1
Old Aug 6, 15, 8:43 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by UNGGOY View Post
Thank you kind user.

Knowing that I am not the only one in the world reading this makes me feel better.

It is frustrating. Especially since it is such a weird rule to me.

Several people here said that as a private company, that they may require whatever they wish. But are they not Federally regulated? For example, can they just make a rule that lap infants cannot fly unless they have a Texas ID? Or that they need a Tribal ID cad? Or that they cannot fly unless they have a Green Card only. Just seems odd to me, and possibly illegal...
You've got this exactly wrong. The government regulates the airline, and part of those regulations say children under 2 *may* be permitted to fly on an adult's lap, and children >2 *MUST* occupy their own seat. It doesn't say that under 2's *MUST* be allowed to fly on an adult's lap, and it says nothing about if, how, or when an airline shall verify the age of the child. How to ensure their own adherence to the FAA regulations about <2 vs. >2 is the airline's business, no one else's. Most airlines other than Southwest have more of a "don't ask, don't tell" approach, but Southwest has determined they aren't willing to deal with the ramifications from FAA if someone lies to them and sneaks an >2 onto a lap. That's their own risk management conclusion, and they are entitled to it.

Hell, the FAA only says <2 *may* be on an adult's lap, but the individual airlines are well within their own rights to exceed the FAA minimum seating requirements and disallow lap infants altogether. (And I, for one, wish they would...) In such a case they'd be meeting FAA regs. They aren't obligated to allow it, only PERMITTED to allow it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: