Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

New, compact booster coming out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New, compact booster coming out

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: United Plus
I'm impressed that the guy who designed it is reaching out and participating. Yes, needs tweaking. I think he got that message. Hopefully they can iron out the bugs and get something using that principal.

Definitely a market for this gizmo out there! Let's see what's next...
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CBear
That lap belt fit is absolutely atrocious.

Not really a great product if it doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

ETA: I honestly can't see it being certified with the lap belt over the thighs. There's lots of neat ideas out there, but it's kinda just ideas until they can get that FMVSS213 certification.

ETA: Another company that refuses to release their crash test data.

http://www.mifold.com/faq/
I'm not sure what any of that nonsense about keeping their secrets safe has to do with crash testing their product. Does the crash test institute do any more than give the car seat a grade?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I'm not sure what any of that nonsense about keeping their secrets safe has to do with crash testing their product. Does the crash test institute do any more than give the car seat a grade?
There is no crash test institute.

The company test the product themselves and sends the results to the appropriate authority that then gives it a pass/fail rate. No grade.

Booster seats all work on the same principle. It's not a secret how they work.

This is a contentious issue for many parents and technicians because no one has any idea if the $500 seat performs better or worse than the $30 seat.

There are several companies that make public their test results and crash test videos public.

Would you buy a car from a manufacturer that refuses to acknowledge how it performs in crash testing?

I'd be really, really surprised if this pass testing without completely altering the entire premise of the product. We KNOW that a lap belt that sits that far from the hips will result in significant injury. My guess is that they're not releasing anything because as this product stands right now, the results are poor.

Last edited by CBear; Jul 24, 2015 at 2:07 pm
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Originally Posted by CBear
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
There is no crash test institute.

The company test the product themselves and sends the results to the appropriate authority that then gives it a pass/fail rate. No grade.

Booster seats all work on the same principle. It's not a secret how they work.

This is a contentious issue for many parents and technicians because no one has any idea if the $500 seat performs better or worse than the $30 seat.

There are several companies that make public their test results and crash test videos public.

Would you buy a car from a manufacturer that refuses to acknowledge how it performs in crash testing?

I'd be really, really surprised if this pass testing without completely altering the entire premise of the product. We KNOW that a lap belt that sits that far from the hips will result in significant injury. My guess is that they're not releasing anything because as this product stands right now, the results are poor.
As far as I know Diono is the only manufacturer to release their crash test data.

It's interesting that you mention the seat belt across the thighs. Many new car seats are coming with short crotch buckles these days which results in the harness laying across the thighs rather than the hip/stomach region. I have two theories about this. The first is that the rear facing child will experience reduced ramping up the seat in a crash. The second is that routing the harness across the thighs of the forward facing child it will reduce the potential for internal injuries due to the harness. The fact that multiple manufacturers have started doing this in the last year or two tells me that they know something we don't.

I'm on the fence about making manufacturers release their results. As it stands today all car seats on the market are safe enough. But if they make grades public, then suddenly you might be saying to the poor mom that she doesn't love her kids if she can't afford the seat $500 A-rated seat.

I'd much rather see manufacturers be required to raise their forward facing minimums to 40 lbs and 4 years of age or beyond the rear facing height limit of their convertible seat. Kids are 532% safer rear facing than forward facing. I think that's the frontier to fight.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
As far as I know Diono is the only manufacturer to release their crash test data.

It's interesting that you mention the seat belt across the thighs. Many new car seats are coming with short crotch buckles these days which results in the harness laying across the thighs rather than the hip/stomach region. I have two theories about this. The first is that the rear facing child will experience reduced ramping up the seat in a crash. The second is that routing the harness across the thighs of the forward facing child it will reduce the potential for internal injuries due to the harness. The fact that multiple manufacturers have started doing this in the last year or two tells me that they know something we don't.

I'm on the fence about making manufacturers release their results. As it stands today all car seats on the market are safe enough. But if they make grades public, then suddenly you might be saying to the poor mom that she doesn't love her kids if she can't afford the seat $500 A-rated seat.

I'd much rather see manufacturers be required to raise their forward facing minimums to 40 lbs and 4 years of age or beyond the rear facing height limit of their convertible seat. Kids are 532% safer rear facing than forward facing. I think that's the frontier to fight.
Clek and the company that manufactures the ride safer vest does as well.

I'm friends with a tech who put in a FOIA requests for test results for certain seats. Rejected. There is no grades. The way it works is that the company tests the seats themselves and sends in the results for certification. The NHTSA says yes or no. There's no in between. Plenty of room for improvement there.

Rear facing is 5 times safer for children under 2 than forward facing, not all children or all the time. Requiring kids to rear face until the age of 4 is completely unrealistic. There is no significant danger to a properly forward facing 3 year old.

Harness fit and seat belt fit is two totally separate things. Harness over the thighs have no relation to a seat belt over the thighs.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:49 am

Agree with the general sentiment here -- I don't need to know whether car seat A is safer than car seat B. I need experts to distinguish between safe seats and unsafe seats, and ensure that only safe seats are available for purchase. Every seat that's available for me to buy should be a safe seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.