Wiki Posts
Search

KLM with approved car seat

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

KLM with approved car seat

Hi,

I'm shortly travelling to Bangkok from the UK via Amsterdam with KLM. I am travelling alone with my 9 year old and 14 month old, whom I have booked a seat for. I'm unsure about taking a car seat on board for him. I'm also having trouble trying to find a car seat that would fit. He can still fit in an infant car seat so I was considering the maxi cosi pebble and britax baby safe, both aircraft approved but according to their dimensions would be too wide for the seat.

Anyone flown with KLM and used a car seat on board?

Any other advice would be appreciated
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Infant seats have narrow bottoms. So even if the reported dimensions are larger than that of the airplane seat chances are it will still fit. The measurement is taken at the widest part of the seat -- the handle.

Our US b-safe would fit. ISOFIX/LATCH has a standard distance of 11 inches so the bottom of the base should be about that size. Just expect the seat to overlap the armrests a bit.

Keep in mind the height limits of the seat as well. Kids outgrow seats by height before weight. You may get more use out of a convertible/toddler seat. If you have option of ordering from the US I can recommend some seats that would fit rear facing on the plane.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. He does still fit into an infant car seat, so as it's less bulky I thought I would take that. I'm planning on just getting one second hand as it will only be used for the flight and in a car there. I do have the next stage up seat for him, it's a britax but too big and bulky to take. That's interesting about the seat width. I'll have to see if I can check dimensions somewhere of the armrests to see if the maxi cosi would fit.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
I just googled the pebble. It looks like the base it clicks into has the ISOFIX connectors at the bottom edges of the base. That means the click in base in 11-ish inches wide. So the bottom of the seat will be less than that. Again that seat's bottom will fit between the armrests. The handle and armrests (for lack of a better description) of the pebble should clear the airplane's armrests. You can always lift the armrests, too.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks for checking that. I've just got a pebble second hand so hopefully it'll fit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.