Search

Thermos in Unchecked Luggage?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 6:59 pm
a7m
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.
Thermos in Unchecked Luggage?

I would like to bring a thermos with me when I travel with my child in the US and Europe. Will TSA and its EU counterpart allow me to have it empty in my unchecked luggage as I go through security? Any experiences in Europe, where rules are slightly different (and where in the past I had items confiscated which TSA allowed)?
Old May 13, 2015, 11:42 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I have passed through security in countless countries carrying an empty water bottle in my carry-on bags. You won't encounter any problems.
Old May 13, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
I have not encountered any problem at EU airports. I do purposely put it on the exterior mesh-pocket of my backpack to show its existence. Security seem to pay more attention to my camera than anything else.
Old May 13, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
This won't be a problem. I suggest that you leave the lid off to show that it is empty.
Old May 13, 2015, 3:19 pm

I always travel with steel water bottles for me and the kids. We empty them (by chugging or spilling out) before going through security, throw them in my backpack (with lids on) for the checkpoint, and refill from water fountains airside, and have never been asked to take them out of our bags or anything.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:46 am

German and Irish security seem to care most about bottles. I always pull my (empty) bottle out at x-ray because they usually want to feel that it's empty.

I've also recently traveled with a thermos of milk domestically (US) and had no issues (had a toddler with me).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.