Purchasing Infant Fare

Old Apr 27, 15, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Purchasing Infant Fare

When purchasing infant and adult fare separately (booking the adult first, than later calling and booking for the infant)

which fare is used to calculate the 10% infant fare? The fare that the adult booked earlier? or the "current" fare (not last minute), which can be much higher?
Old Apr 27, 15, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Impossible to answer without details. Marketing and operating carriers? To/from?
Old Apr 27, 15, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

JFK to AUH on Etihad, the adult fare was purchased last Dec with an error fare

basically the infant fare they want to charge me is more than the adult fare i paid
Old Apr 27, 15, 10:22 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by YuChi Chou View Post
JFK to AUH on Etihad, the adult fare was purchased last Dec with an error fare

basically the infant fare they want to charge me is more than the adult fare i paid
Some airlines will charge 10% of full fare. It is up to the airline what fare basis they use to charge the lap child.
Old Apr 28, 15, 9:49 am

It's 10% of the lowest applicable fare on the date of purchase - So they will look at an adult fare that allows the 90% discount. They will add taxes/fees to that. Likely around $250.

Obviously, it isn't 10% of a mistake fare.
Old Nov 23, 15, 8:36 am

Programs: RIP
Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
It's 10% of the lowest applicable fare on the date of purchase - So they will look at an adult fare that allows the 90% discount. They will add taxes/fees to that. Likely around $250.

Obviously, it isn't 10% of a mistake fare.
This sounds incorrect as EY charges 20%, contrary to the norm of 10% with other carrriers.
Old Nov 23, 15, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by skaya View Post
This sounds incorrect as EY charges 20%, contrary to the norm of 10% with other carrriers.
It's a fixed percentage of the applied adult fare on day of purchase of the lap child ticket plus applicable taxes/fees. Whether the percentage is 10% or 20%, the dynamic is largely the same.

The applied adult fare is more commonly the prevailing adult fare for the route on the day of lap child ticket purchase than it is the adult fare at the time of ticketing the adult fare.

Search this Thread