Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

pre-check and Pre-boarding with family/Kids

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAirways - Silver, HH, E-Plus

Quick Question for everyone, I do a fair amount of traveling to the point where I paid my $89 for the pre-check and also received one world sapphire status.
I will be traveling with the family and Kids (10 and 12) next week. Is is acceptable to bring the family with me through the pre-check line and also board with the other Sapphire / gold members? is this allowed? frowned upon?

I am traveling on US Airways.

Thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
One member seen it done, but they have to remove their shoes, more than that, suspect they will say No....

They were not happy with one extra...my case..
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Doesn't matter whether it's frowned upon. All that matters is whether it is allowed.

Checkpoint: The theoretical break point for kids through Pre-Check is 11. Thus, the 10 YOA goes with you and the 12 YOA does not. I would be surprised if they don't just waive the 12 YOA through as well. If they don't, it's a question of whether you mind the 12 YOA walking through the regular line alone or whether the three of you pop through the non-pre line.

Boarding: Yes.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
At security...
Kids: Yes.
Spouse: Likely not. Once at ORD, they let my wife come through with me and the kids - called her a "Co-Traveler." She had to do some additional screening (hand and shoes swab), but that was it. The next few times through ORD, and every time everywhere else (IAD, MCO, ATL), they denied my wife.

For boarding, you shouldn't have any issues boarding early with your family based on your status.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
In both situations, my kids (both under 11) had Pre-Check on their BPs, and the adults did not.

DEN: They let all of us in the Pre-Check lane since the kids had it on their BPs.
EWR: They said the kids could use Pre-Check, but the adults had to use the regular lane. We all went through the regular lane.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Often1
Doesn't matter whether it's frowned upon. All that matters is whether it is allowed.

Checkpoint: The theoretical break point for kids through Pre-Check is 11. Thus, the 10 YOA goes with you and the 12 YOA does not. I would be surprised if they don't just waive the 12 YOA through as well. ......
This is incorrect. Children aged 12 and younger can go through TSA
Precheck with you. If older family members (including spouses) don't have TSA Pre, they must go through the regular security line.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
. Children aged 12 and younger can go through TSA
Precheck with you. If older family members (including spouses) don't have TSA Pre, they must go through the regular security line.
That's right, and this info is easily found on the TSA webpage:
Q. If my family is traveling with me, can they also use the TSA Pre✓® lane?

A. Family members ages 12 and under, traveling with an eligible parent or guardian that has a TSA Pre✓® indicator on their boarding pass, can participate in expedited screening. However, family members 13 and older must go through standard security lanes.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:00 am

I'm not sure why you'd want to preboard. When traveling with kids I'm almost always checking luggage and carrying on only stuff I'm going to keep under the seat in front of me (food, maybe a book, stuff to entertain the kids), so I like to be the LAST one to board the plane.

That way the kids can walk around or stretch out in the gate area for an extra 20-30 minutes rather than being strapped into an airplane seat watching all the other passengers board.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by themicah
When traveling with kids I'm almost always checking luggage
That's only if you're checking luggage - never seen a need to, with or without the kids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.