Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Cheating with infant car seat/stroller?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2014, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX, AF, UA

Most airlines (all that I know of) do not have particular size or weight restrictions on the car seat or stroller you can check-in for your infant.

I was wondering if anyone had experience, or thoughts, on "cheating" with checked-in car seats/strollers. Here is our thinking: for protection, we'd put the car seat in its original box, and safety wrap the box at the airport. Inside the box there is plenty of "empty" space. Has anyone ever filled up that space with more clothing/useful items? What was the result?
Old Dec 24, 2014, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm not sure there's much cheating going on.

We used to have special bags for the car seats (made of sturdy polyester fabric) into which went all the children's coats.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Let's try this out in the dedicated Travel with Children forum where you might find more members with specific experience.

Good luck.

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
We check our car seat in a generic brand version of this.

I often put extra stuff in there. Usually just a bag with blankets or dirty clothes and the purpose is more for extra protection of the car seat vs. cheating the weight rules. But there have been trips where we took shoes, diapers/wipes, or other heavier items from other bags and put them in there to get those bags under the weight limits. Usually the car seat plus whatever I add is still under 50 lbs by a lot; no one has ever checked what it inside.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Thanks for these comforting reactions. Seeing others do it, we might not be that mad after all :-)
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:33 am

We have travel bags for our strollers (which we gate check) and generally will dump jackets, blankets, etc in there.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I always fill the car seat bag with diapers, extra clothes, etc
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Redhead
I always fill the car seat bag with diapers, extra clothes, etc
Doesn't everybody? 😄 It was actually a framed backpack carrier in the gate checked bag but same concept. We took the car seat on the plane and I always wondered if the gate agent would question why we were gay checking a car seat bag but no one ever did.

For reasons of convenience and brand loyalty (my son had allegery issues) I always took enough diapers, wipes and dry snacks for the trip.

Like others mentioned, the bag is a great place for bulky coats. I also put a couple of changes of clothing for him and one set for us as well in case our checked luggage got lost. Large ziplocks work well for keeping items tidy and organized.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.