Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Minors traveling to Mexico with expired passports

Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond

Posting this for a friend, who is planning on flying from EWR to Mexico tomorrow with her husband and two children, ages six and ten. She realized today that both children's passports are expired.

She spoke with two different UA agents who assured her that all she needs to do is bring their expired passports and birth certificates, but she found conflicting information on another website and is concerned the agents might be incorrect. She can try to get emergency passports, but their flight is tomorrow (Monday) morning, so that would involve rebooking four airline tickets and getting a passport office appointment that day.

If anyone with experience with this can advise, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Here is the State Department page with requirements:

http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/eacs_sheet.html

Entry Requirements for Mexico

As of March 1, 2010, all U.S. citizens – including children -- must present a valid passport, book or card, for travel beyond the “border zone” into the interior of Mexico.

Entry to the US by land or sea: Regardless of your final destination in Mexico, all U.S. citizens age 16 or over must present either a U.S. passport book or card to re-enter the U.S. by land or sea. Minors under the age of 16 may enter the U.S. via the land border with a certified birth certificate, consular report of birth abroad, citizenship certificate, or naturalization certificate.

Entry to the US by air:
All citizens, regardless of age, entering the U.S. by air must present a U.S. passport book. A passport card is not acceptable for entry to the US by air.
A couple of worries: Even if the kids are allowed to board the plane TO Mexico, it is possible they would be refused entry to Mexico without a valid passport. If allowed in to Mexico, it is possible they might be denied boarding on a plane coming back, as a valid passport is needed for that. Once they present at the border, they will eventually be allowed back into the US, but it might be a bit of a hassle. I wonder if the UA people she talked to were giving outdated information, as the Birth Certificate thing was allowable several years ago.

I think the best thing to do is beg for a postponement from UA, and try to get emergency same day passports for the kids if she is near enough to a passport office to go there in person.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Jun 22, 2014 at 12:07 pm
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
No way would I chance trying. Timatic is pretty clear. The passport must be valid on arrival. There is an exception for minor aliens who are registered in their parents' passports but AFAIK, the US no longer does this as everyone must have their own passport. And regardless, see the 'Warning' - a valid passport is required when departing the USA. I have no doubt the scenario will be as Doc describes above. Delay the trip and get their passports renewed.

National USA (US) /Embarkation USA (US)
Destination Mexico (MX)

Mexico (MX)

Passport required.
- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
on arrival.
- Warning: if departing from the USA (regardless of any
destination passport exemptions), a valid passport and/or
accepted departure document For details, click here is required by the US immigration authorities.

Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of emergency or temporary passports.

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 180 days:
- for holders of normal, emergency or temporary passports
issued to nationals of USA;

Minors:
- Passport not required for alien minors (up to/incl.17 years
of age) registered in their parent/guardian passport,
provided travelling with the passport holder.
- All minors under 14 years of age, when travelling alone,
should be met by an adult.
Warning:
- Visitors not holding return/onward tickets For details, click here co
uld be refused entry.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To be clear, the TIMATIC information in in Finface's post above is what the UA agent will see (and to which OP has free access on the *A website).

The kids will be denied boarding at EWR and, if by some bizarre chance, they are allowed to board, will almost certainly be denied entry and returned to the US. While they can't be denied entry to their country of citizenship, it will be long & traumatic process which I would not inflict on anybody in other than genuine life & death emergencies.

I would be in line at the NYC Passport Agency (376 Hudson St) before the office opens at 7:30 AM and beg. Make sure that you have every form you need (including the specialized forms for minors) and proof of same day travel. This may include notarized forms for the kids or both parents' presence. So read the directions carefully and then read them again.

If you can get UA to move this by a day, you may have even better luck.

Last edited by Often1; Jun 22, 2014 at 4:07 pm
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice - she's at the passport office now and will have the new passports in time to make their rebooked flights later today.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
I hope her husband is with her, or they've completed and notarized the necessary forms for him to not physically be present.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 6rugrats
I hope her husband is with her, or they've completed and notarized the necessary forms for him to not physically be present.
He is, they're all at the passport office together and they should have the new passports within the hour.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
A happy ending!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:09 pm

How did they get renewed passports so quickly?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Sonia Brahmawar Puri
US Passport Agencies do process some walk-in applicants in a way that makes it possible for same-day passport issuance to take place. It costs an expedite fee, but it's been a travel saver before and still is.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sonia Brahmawar Puri
This is specific to the Chicago office, but I assume it is same/similar for other passport offices.

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...s/Chicago.html

• Proof of international travel is required when applying at this agency. You must provide a hard copy of your itinerary or other proof of international travel.
  • Will call service is offered for life or death emergencies and immediate travel abroad (leaving within 8 business days). The agency will advise you when the passport will be ready for pickup at will call based on your documented travel plans.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.