Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baby car seat air travel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2013, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Baby car seat air travel

Does anyone know the latest and greatest on infant car seats on planes? I tried it for the first time on our recent short flight, and it worked great--in function. But there seems to be a great amount of inconsistency out there on policy.

Our Diorno RXT, facing rearward, requires a lap belt extender. On the outbound flight all the FA wanted to see was that the seat was FAA certified. No problem.

It was on the return flight that we hit a snag. One of the FAs (this was a United Express partner commuter) said that a lap belt extender wasn't authorized. This would have made the seat impossible to install, but as I was struggling with it, I believe more rational minds prevailed and one was finally delivered.

It seems that these car seats and systems are vetted through the FAA for approval, but at the gate there may be a huge divergence of understanding of policy---whether it be federal or carrier, if any even exists.

Anyone know where to go where I can print out actual, official guidance and have it in had when I travel again? Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:33 pm

Unfortunately there are rules that different airlines have. For example, Qantas requires car seats that can face forwards to face forwards. Your Diorno RXT would fall into that category on Qantas. I've been on a couple of flights where they didn't mind, but the rule book they have actually does state it.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:02 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
FlyerTalk's Travel With Children forum should be ideal for this discussion and I'll move this thread there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 1:00 am

Programs: United Plus
No, it's not by the airlines but the air authority in charge. In your case, it's the FAA and by law, if you have purchased a seat for your baby and brought a FAA approved car seat, it can't be refused.

Here is the go-to page on all things car seat by the FAA;
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...%20120-87B.pdf

The FAA says that car seats are supposed to be installed according to manufacturer's instructions and there are no nonsensical rules that you find on foreign companies like not allowing rear-facing car seats or no car seats under a certain age.

Is that a Radian you have? Those can be difficult to install backwards on some aircraft.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 5:46 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
I've traveled with a Radian/Diono forward-facing, and it's a beast even that way.
Although you could print out information and bring it with you to back you up, Radian rear-facing are HUGE, and I can see a LOT of situations where it simply wouldn't fit at all between the rows of seats, and I don't mean just preventing the seat in front from reclining. I mean literally won't fit in the space. If you end up on a plane with bulkhead airbags and you can't fit in a row, then you are completely out of luck.

I'd get a cheap plan B seat for use during travel instead -- one that won't have size issues rear-facing.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Cosco Sceneras are great for air travel. We have two. They are extremely lightweight, inexpensive, nest one in the other, easy to install on planes (not so easy in cars, but doable). They also have a decent RF weight limit. They can be found at Walmart, arounf $45, I think.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I have also looked that the Cosco Sceneras for travel- our 'regular' car seat is huge & heavy (it's a "combination" type seat, so all those options to grow with the child also add to the weight). So far the only reason we haven't bought one is that we've been able to arrange to borrow a car seat from a family member on arrival for the past several trips.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:04 am

Programs: United Plus
I found the Radian easier to travel with more than the Scenera, but forward, not rear-facing.

It fits down the aisle on a metal, folding luggage cart and I could simply wheel it down the aisle.

A lot depends on the age of the child. While rear-facing is safer (on a plane, just like in a car), many find the problems with rfing aren't worth it IF the child fits the minimum to forward face. Bring the boot and rear-face in the car on arrival.

For the record, a baby with his or her own seat who is under 2 will need some sort of restraint. The CARES harness can be used at about age 1 on, if there is a car seat at the destination (or one isn't needed).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.