FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel with Children (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children-221/)
-   -   Recommended age to fly in First-class Suites (Ex: Etihad) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children/1404086-recommended-age-fly-first-class-suites-ex-etihad.html)

diamondsRforever Nov 4, 2012 2:40 pm

Recommended age to fly in First-class Suites (Ex: Etihad)

All - Wife and I have flown four international flights (east coast of the US to western Europe) with our now Two year old (first international flight @ 10 months), including First and Biz. We're looking at the possibility of flying from IAD to Abu Dhabi in Etihad First, which happens to be individual suites. At what age do you think a toddler/kid can handle this? The most important portion is being able to stay in their seat during take off and landing. Aside from takeoff/landing, we can take turns playing/keeping company in the suite. Thoughts/recommendations?

rjque Nov 4, 2012 5:22 pm

It really depends on the kid. Do you think your child will stay seated during takeoff and landing? That is really all that matters.

Eclipsepearl Nov 5, 2012 1:05 am

Will the child stay seated? Can he see either of you from his seat?

You can give him a new toy just before pushback, to keep him occupied. Is he very verbal and can understand that he has to sit still for a certain length of time? Sure that he wont get out of his seat and try to sit with either of you?? Mine couldn't have. At age 2, mine would have bolted but some kids are much more placid.

jstevenson0617 Nov 6, 2012 3:37 pm

I don't know...I think 2yo is too young. We're planning a trip to Europe next year with our 8 and 6 yo and I wouldn't consider those F seats even for them. Firt of all, if we hit turbulance, I want to be close to make sure seat belts are buckled and projectiles are put away. Plus, they both still like to cuddle and be close to us; I don't think they would enjoy being where they couldn't touch us.

ma91pmh Nov 13, 2012 7:53 pm

the center seats on etihad are very close together. we juts flew them auh-jfk in f. if you sit next to kiddo you will be able to keep control just fine. enjoy - it is a phenomenal product!

diamondsRforever Nov 13, 2012 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh (Post 19679012)
the center seats on etihad are very close together. we juts flew them auh-jfk in f. if you sit next to kiddo you will be able to keep control just fine. enjoy - it is a phenomenal product!

Perfect, thanks. I'm just in the planning phase right now. I'm looking for a bit in the future when kiddo will be around 3. I figure by that age, she'll be fine during takeoff/landing and then we can take turns hanging out in her (center) suite in the time between (not counting sleep time).

erik123 Nov 14, 2012 11:58 am

I would also think you could hold her for take off and landing with a lap belt. Some airlines allowed over 2's as a lap child under certain circumstances in the past (and thus allowed holding) - though this is not common anymore.

BeatCal Nov 14, 2012 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by diamondsRforever (Post 19623374)
All - Wife and I have flown four international flights (east coast of the US to western Europe) with our now Two year old (first international flight @ 10 months), including First and Biz. We're looking at the possibility of flying from IAD to Abu Dhabi in Etihad First, which happens to be individual suites. At what age do you think a toddler/kid can handle this? The most important portion is being able to stay in their seat during take off and landing. Aside from takeoff/landing, we can take turns playing/keeping company in the suite. Thoughts/recommendations?

Depending on age, put him in a car seat

LeoFigAA Dec 29, 2014 9:20 am

I am flying EY F (A380 / 77W) from LHR - AUH - SYD. Our little one will be four months old at the time...does anyone know of any issues which may prevent her from being able to fly F? Seems as if all comments apply to babies who are already able to self support / sit, as opposed to bassinet-aged babies...

lost*in*cyberspace Dec 29, 2014 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by LeoFigAA (Post 24067236)
I am flying EY F (A380 / 77W) from LHR - AUH - SYD. Our little one will be four months old at the time...does anyone know of any issues which may prevent her from being able to fly F? Seems as if all comments apply to babies who are already able to self support / sit, as opposed to bassinet-aged babies...

Yes, I would have a big issue flying in F and seeing a 4 month old in the cabin! ;)

Are you speaking about a lap baby, or buying your baby a seat? It will be expensive either way.

Erasmus Dec 29, 2014 7:52 pm

While in general I am a *strong* proponent of buying children their own seats, EY 380 F is no place for a child who is not fully self-managing to fly in their own seat. You will literally be 10s of feet away.

expatboy Dec 30, 2014 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Erasmus (Post 24070235)
While in general I am a *strong* proponent of buying children their own seats, EY 380 F is no place for a child who is not fully self-managing to fly in their own seat. You will literally be 10s of feet away.

Agreed - we're not in the F bracket but when flying longhaul J I won't go herringbone as I can't see what the younger ones are up to or hold their hand. I would be ok with my 8yo and 6yo in this config but not the 4yo and 3yo. Whilst they would probably be fine, I'm not willing to take the risk - what can you do if they take their seatbelt off midway down the runway or in the first stage of the climb in order to get a better look out the window (as an example)...? You may even struggle even to make eye contact with them from your seat to theirs.

Sorry - time to slum it in J - plenty of time for F later on when they are older, remember this inconvenient stage doesn't last forever! :-)

Redhead Jan 1, 2015 10:57 am

My little one flew F twice by the age of 4 months. She was a lap child LAX-RDU. No issues. For a flight such as yours, you may want to consider her own seat since that is a long flight to have a lap baby. Also remember, that for intl flights, lap babies aren't free but are ~10% of the fare you pay.

6rugrats Jan 3, 2015 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Redhead (Post 24083546)
My little one flew F twice by the age of 4 months. She was a lap child LAX-RDU. No issues. For a flight such as yours, you may want to consider her own seat since that is a long flight to have a lap baby.

This poster is discussing an F seat for an international flight on EY which is totally different then an F domestic seat. Did you read the posts describing the F configuration?

onlysuites Jan 11, 2015 10:45 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh (Post 19679012)

This is what I have always done when I flew EY F. The centre seats are close enough for one of you to keep an eye on the toddler during take off and landing. It does mean you can't sit together but the window seats are quite far away once the seat belt signs are on you won't be able to stretch out to the toddler.

Also once you are in the air what we have always done is make one of the seats into a bed and let him play on the bed. There is more then enough space for you and a toddler on the bed.

None whatsoever. Enjoy your flight!