Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Does MacLaren volov stroller fit/roll freely down airline aisles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2012, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lots of them, no status

Anyone know?
thanks
Old Sep 30, 2012, 8:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
Anyone know?
thanks
Usually not.

Depends on the plane type but I don't see anything but the smallest, narrowest of "umbrella" strollers having a sort of easy time of going down the aisles.

Plane aisles are getting narrower and even wheeled carry-on bags meant to go in the overhead bin don't roll down like they used to -- and strollers had problems in the aisles even many years ago when aisles were bigger than they have become and will become.

I wouldn't count on it going down the aisles without issue even on wide-body double-aisle planes; older, large planes with a single-aisle seem to have more room for a stroller but even that is not easy best avoided unless wanting a lot of flops.

The wheels of a stroller often seem to snag on something when trying to push them down the aisle -- then there's a block/bottleneck that takes time to remedy since the stroller has be closed.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 8:11 am
Original Poster

yeah, it's not big deal. I was just wondering.
We'll be on an AA 757. Since AA allows umbrella strollers in the cabin and since we'll be landing in effectively the middle of the night for the kids, I was wondering of the possibility of dumping a (hopefully) sleeping child into the Volo while still near our seats and offloading him from the plane with the least disturbance possible.

Regardless what ends up happening in that regard, we are all going to survive.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: United Plus
Better to use a good-quality baby carrier. That's what I used to do (I have back issues so a baby carrier is easier on my back than carrying a baby in my arms). They totally stayed asleep and having my arms free was key to getting off the plane sanely. Much easier than fumbling with a stroller! I could transfer them again once on the jetway when the gate-checked items were returned.

One of my jobs of the greeter is to "catch" parents trying to bring strollers on board. We simply didn't have the space to stow them, especially on the smaller aircraft like this one. Are you sure AA allows it? Even if you do, be sure to NOT stow it in the overhead. They have the tendency of flying out and hurting people (bash! on the head). It'll be some other hurried passenger who does it too...
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
Better to use a good-quality baby carrier.
That would be my recommendation too.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:31 am
Original Poster

A 4 year old in a baby carrier would be an interesting sight.

Last edited by Eclipsepearl; Oct 2, 2012 at 3:01 am
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:13 am
Suspended

I guess it would be a weight and child's willingness issue.

There are carriers that get some big 3 year old children in them where people take the children to be 4 or 5 years old.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

haha! My son is up to my ribcage in height, so I think he's not a contender. LOL
Old Oct 2, 2012, 3:02 am

No, but a 4 year old is old enough to walk and not need a stroller!

Good baby carriers go up to three years old (or should, or aren't "good" if they don't!)
Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
No, but a 4 year old is old enough to walk and not need a stroller!

Good baby carriers go up to three years old (or should, or aren't "good" if they don't!)
The OP's objective is to let a sleeping child sleep if already sleeping:

Since AA allows umbrella strollers in the cabin and since we'll be landing in effectively the middle of the night for the kids, I was wondering of the possibility of dumping a (hopefully) sleeping child into the Volo while still near our seats and offloading him from the plane with the least disturbance possible.
Of course there is always sleep-walking.

For the purpose of letting a sleeping child sleep, placement of a child in a stroller may make sense at some points -- just not on board usually.

Of those strollers that do fit easily in plane aisles and/or overhead bins, many aren't designed to transport a child over 35-50 pounds. Just something to keep in mind when considering other strollers.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:14 am

Of those strollers that do fit easily in plane aisles and/or overhead bins, many aren't designed to transport a child over 35-50 pounds.

Good point. But please don't place ANY stroller in an overhead bin. Not smart and probably not allowed. If you're in a premium cabin, stuff it in the closet.

Also, it seems a bit awkward to be placing such a big sleeping child in a stroller, in the middle of the aisle. A stroller skinny enough to get down an aisle is probably too small for such a big child. I just don't think this is a workable plan. For a smaller baby, maybe. I did it with a Sit-n-Stroll but that is tiny and so were the babies. It also snapped out quickly and I didn't have to transfer them.

I think someone's going to have to wake up and zombie-walk it to the gate unfortunately.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
I have never seen anyone pushing a child in a stroller while boarding a plane. Is it allowed?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
I have never seen anyone pushing a child in a stroller while boarding a plane. Is it allowed?
I have seen it allowed in the aisle during boarding and deplaning.

Some strollers are no wider than wheeled carry-on bags that do sometimes get rolled down the aisle. Most strollers with a three or four year old child won't be that narrow.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:22 am
Original Poster

The one we already have is very narrow and rated for 55 lbs, so it's not a matter of him fitting.

AA does allow them on-board and insists that they go in the overhead (which is easily verified on their web site, I might add).

I haven't actually measured its width myself, but the online shopping sites list it as ~17.5 inches wide when unfolded, and I just looked up the aisle width on AA.com, and that says 17.5", so it looks like it doesn't fit by a hair. No sweat off my back. I just figured that if the kids are sleeping, it might be easier to wait till everyone else deplanes, plop him into it, and roll him out. I've got arms, so carry him I shall. OK, so maybe there will be sweat off my back, but you know what I mean. I'll just try to keep him sleepy while I carry him and pop him into the stroller when we get to the jetway.

He will surely still sit in it for some of the layover since it's a long one. My younger daughter (2yo) can ride like a queen in her car seat strapped to the luggage cart. The stroller going on the trip is primarily for her overall. We'll have enough airport time (and a terminal change), though, that having her ride in the car seat to free the stroller for him to use, if needed, to get from point A to point B in the terminal and/or to catch a little snooze since he'll still be in the middle of his usual sleep time.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:37 am

Please be careful putting any stroller in the overhead. It risks crashing down on someone's head, why both airlines I worked for banned them from the cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.