Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Travelling LH with a newly potty trained girl

Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lots of them, no status

So in the winter, we'll be taking a LH trip to Israel with the kids. My son is potty trained, but still wets at night, so since the the flight is overnight I will put him in one of his sleep pants to prevent accidents but take him to the potty like usual when he's not sleeping.

My daughter, though, will be either recently potty trained or on the tail end of training. We will, of course, have her in pull ups to prevent accidents, but what I really need to know is if you guys have seen any good potty products for girls. Since she will be newly trained, she will need to actually sit on the potty in the airplane. Expected her to do the "hover" maneuver (while I am holding her, no less, since she's 2 years old and obviously too short to do it herself) is way too much to ask.

So I am looking for some disposable seat covers that anyone might have used successfully on the plane. My alternative would be maybe to bring a roll of saran wrap or something.

I found these online. Any luck with them? Apparently they stick to the seat with a subtle adhesive so they won't slide around and fall off like the paper ones.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sesame-Str...-Count/4532473
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
I have no experience with those, but they look as if they would be far better than carrying a roll of plastic wrap up to the lav. You know she'd had to go "real bad" and you'd be struggling to rip off the wrap and it would be clinging to itself.

Try them at home first and then tell her they are "special" and for travel use only. Amazing what will work for a two year old.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Yeah, the saran wrap is just the plan B if I can't find a product that works well with little hassle.

I think I will order a package of these to test them out. I guess one of my thoughts is what fits an airline toilet instead of a home toilet, but something like I posted seems like it would be adaptable enough..
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:19 pm

We use a fold up one which is solid and the kid won't fall in the tolite. I think my wife found it at target or toys r us. It fits in her back pack of all the baby stuff and kids stuff. If I could attached pics to this post you could see what it looks like. The one we have is a cars themed seat.

I think it is a must have for traveling our just running to the mall with young kids.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
We use a fold up one which is solid and the kid won't fall in the tolite. I think my wife found it at target or toys r us. It fits in her back pack of all the baby stuff and kids stuff. If I could attached pics to this post you could see what it looks like. The one we have is a cars themed seat.

I think it is a must have for traveling our just running to the mall with young kids.
Oh, I think I actually already have one of those! I had totally forgotten about it because my son never liked it much. You mean the ones that fold and are for use when out and about, right?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
So in the winter, we'll be taking a LH trip to Israel with the kids. My son is potty trained, but still wets at night, so since the the flight is overnight I will put him in one of his sleep pants to prevent accidents but take him to the potty like usual when he's not sleeping.

My daughter, though, will be either recently potty trained or on the tail end of training. We will, of course, have her in pull ups to prevent accidents, but what I really need to know is if you guys have seen any good potty products for girls. Since she will be newly trained, she will need to actually sit on the potty in the airplane. Expected her to do the "hover" maneuver (while I am holding her, no less, since she's 2 years old and obviously too short to do it herself) is way too much to ask.

So I am looking for some disposable seat covers that anyone might have used successfully on the plane. My alternative would be maybe to bring a roll of saran wrap or something.

I found these online. Any luck with them? Apparently they stick to the seat with a subtle adhesive so they won't slide around and fall off like the paper ones.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sesame-Str...-Count/4532473
We use the fold-able potty seat which take little space in your diaper bag...usually costs around $20 @walmart...
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

So those folding potty seats fit airline toilets? good news! thanks
Old Aug 19, 2012, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will worry about this when I see one shred evidence that sitting on toilet seats is dangerous.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I will worry about this when I see one shred evidence that sitting on toilet seats is dangerous.
It's not "danger" that is my issue. My issues are two-fold, really:

1. The mere fact that her tush is far smaller in diameter than the potty hole, so she needs something to sit on.

2. Many men aren't exactly great at aiming on a good day, and far worse in bumpy air, and by the end of an 11-hour flight there can be quite the puddle on the floor, let what is on the seat itself and the surrounding platform. (Sorry for the TMI!) I don't want my little girl sitting in the urine of 100+ men. Call me crazy.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
It's not "danger" that is my issue. My issues are two-fold, really:

1. The mere fact that her tush is far smaller in diameter than the potty hole, so she needs something to sit on.
Is there a reason you can't support her by the armpits while she sits on the seat and goes? This is always what I did with my toddler and it worked fine.

2. Many men aren't exactly great at aiming on a good day, and far worse in bumpy air, and by the end of an 11-hour flight there can be quite the puddle on the floor, let what is on the seat itself and the surrounding platform. (Sorry for the TMI!) I don't want my little girl sitting in the urine of 100+ men. Call me crazy.
Isn't that why men typically lift the seat to pee? So that they don't spray all over the part that folks actually sit on? I'd just bring some disinfecting wipes with me and do a once over if things look suspicious. Basically, I'm with VickiSoCal on this one. I'm far, far more worried about contracting disease from the door handle or bathroom faucet handle than from the toilet seat.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by icedancer
Is there a reason you can't support her by the armpits while she sits on the seat and goes? This is always what I did with my toddler and it worked fine.

Isn't that why men typically lift the seat to pee? So that they don't spray all over the part that folks actually sit on? I'd just bring some disinfecting wipes with me and do a once over if things look suspicious. Basically, I'm with VickiSoCal on this one. I'm far, far more worried about contracting disease from the door handle or bathroom faucet handle than from the toilet seat.
Yes, I can hold her (and will), but a little added insurance never hurts. The fold=up potty seat occupies about 1 inch x 5 inches x 5 inches, so really no big issue to bring it and use it, and I would feel better about it.

As for men lifting the seat. You'd THINK they would, but you'd be surprised.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always did the hold while they sat move and wiped the seat off first if it looked suspicious, but I don't bother with covers usually even if available, back of the thigh not being a normal disease entry point.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I always did the hold while they sat move and wiped the seat off first if it looked suspicious, but I don't bother with covers usually even if available, back of the thigh not being a normal disease entry point.
I don't bother with them, either, but in particularly skeezy environments like the restroom on a longhaul aircraft, I don't sit on the seats by policy, and I don't plan of having my daughter do so, either.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Prepare your daughter for the idea that airplane toilets are going to look different and make weird flushing noises. Some kids PANIC and some don't care at all.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:56 pm

This fits into my purse, easily.

I have a boy, so I cannot both hold him by the armpits to ensure he doesn't fall in while ALSO making sure that, uh, his aim is true. Plus he's HEAVY!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.