Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Food in Sri Lanka (11 yr old fussy eater)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG

Mods - please move to food and drink if that is a better place for this!

I have to go to Sri Lanka on business in July and so we are thinking of turning it into our family holiday (as my flight will be paid) - we've travelled in SE Asia so the children will be fine apart fomr my daughter (11) who doesn't like spicy food. What are the options in Sri Lanka - we are thinking of doing 9 days in a Western 4* plus hotel while i am working and then taking a tour (8-10 days) around the island staying in guest houses to get a more authentic feel and then finishing with a week at a beach resort.

Is this likely to be feasilble with a child who won't eat spicy food or is it impractical? I don't mind the odd day of her eating only rice but 3 weeks will be a bit too much.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:23 am

Programs: United Plus
I haven't been to Sri Lanka but I have been to India and Nepal. I found restaurants had a wide variety of food and usually there's a large wait staff who are very accommodating. The menus were very large, often including Chinese dishes and special requests were not a problem.

Anyone found that Sri Lanka was similar?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Late to the party, but I'll chime in. When my daughter was 13 I took her to Bali for 2 weeks. She wasn't a fussy eater, but the Indonesian menus kind of threw her for a loop. She ended up eating Nasi Goreng for lunch and dinner every day. Different restaurants prepared and served it slightly differently, so she was happy. Only 2 weeks of eating the same thing every meal wasn't a nutritional problem. Twelve years later we get a good laugh out of remembering that trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.