Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Fixing a rf car seat in aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fixing a rf car seat in aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:44 am

Programs: United Plus
Curious what seat you had. Is it one of those big European seats that the seat belt goes around?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
It was just a standard Delta domestic F seat. In other words, nothing fancy at all! The problem was the side of the belt with the insert part was not long enough to get up and threaded through the car seat. And the other side was not long enough to get all the way over the car seat and connect to the insert.
We have 4 flights under our belt! Two times the seat belt was fine. Two times it has not been.
We try again in two weeks.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 1:32 am

Oops! I meant the car seat...

Odd that on the same airline, you'd run into this twice and then not on two other flights. Shorter seat belts? Different class?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 7:35 pm

It is a Britax Chaperone. It is a large carseat, it seems. It takes up all the space between the rows. The seat belt doesn't go around it. It goes over it.
All the flights have been DL F class. But we've been on 4 different planes. I am finally starting to repeat planes so now I know what to expect when I board.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:42 pm

I wouldn't have thought there would be problems with an infant bucket seat.

http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/chaperone

Without the base, it looks like it wouldn't be that big.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
We have very similar Britax seats (two of them), and have taken them in planes without the bases, which we leave at home. They really do fill nearly every inch between the rows, and on a few planes, we had to put them in forward-facing to get them to fit. That's probably some sort of violation, but it was the only thing we could do. And it's gotta be better than merely holding the babies on our laps.

Bruce
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:08 am

Oh, it sounds like the culprit was the fit, not the width of the seat. I understand there is one U.S. company, domestic, that has a really short pitch (will find out) and rfing car seats wont fit.

One kind-of solution is to install them correctly for take-off and landing, then switch it around during the cruise portion of the flight. This is obviously not a very workable plan if you're flying LAX-SFO but for a long flight, when you have time... You can even explain it to your buddy in front of your child, that they can happily recline later on. Everyone has to be in the "upright and uncomfortable" position anyway during those times (Sorry, had to quote Southwest there, for those who remember them!)
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:32 pm

Width is the problem for the seatbelt. Thankfully, I have been in F so the seat fits between the rows. Barely. I can't imagine that it will fit in the rows in coach.
I use it without the base on the plane.
bdschobel - you're saying it does fit width wise in Y? But, not rearfacing? I was thinking it wouldn't fit at all in Y.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
My seats fit on the airlines I primarily use: Delta and United. I'm sure that other seats might not fit on other airlines (or even on certain planes flown by my preferred airlines). Maybe I've just been lucky on my kids' 16 flights in their lives!

Bruce
Old Oct 21, 2012, 7:01 pm

All our flights have been Delta. I was considering a Southwest flight for next week and went with DL F class after thinking the carseat wouldn't fit in any Y class seats. If it fits on Delta and United it should work on Southwest, I would think. I may use them next time it's convenient.
What particular planes did you have to have the seats forward facing?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't recall the exact model, but it was definitely a regional jet. There was just not enough seat pitch to allow rear-facing installation.

Bruce
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:13 am

Airplane seats can push forwards, but that's obviously not a solution if people are seated in front of you.

Technically, by FAA rules, if the children had purchases places on the flight, and the car seat didn't fit, they were supposed to reseat you. I admit this can be daunting in the circumstances, especially on a small plane right before departure...

It's somewhere in this fun document;
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...%20120-87B.pdf
Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't bought a seat for my babies yet -- though obviously I'll have to do that after they turn 2. I have carefully chosen flights at odd hours that were not full and arranged -- turning my powers of persuasion up to their highest setting -- to have the seats next to me and the twins' mom blocked (or at least one seat blocked). It's not something that you can rely on, but I've had very good luck so far.

Oh, wait, I just remembered that I did buy a seat for one baby last May on a flight to Los Angeles. So I did it once (two flights in total).

Bruce
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:37 pm

I have been able to avoid the regionals. I don't like them anyway and now flying with an infant I will avoid them as much as I can.
I figured they had to reseat me if the seat I purchased doesn't work with the carseat. Though, that would definitely be daunting, as you said.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:40 am

Update on travels.
Yesterday the FA on first flight said I was not supposed to put the car seat in the way I had it. She said put a blanket over the seatbelt and she wouldn't say anything. I honestly have no idea what she thought the problem was. I didn't argue with her, just said this is how it is supposed to be and how I have always done it. Then put a blanket over it.
As I was deplaning I put the car seat on a Y seat as I was gathering my stuff. It did not fit at all! It was too wide. My conclusion is I am stuck buying F as long as we are using the Britax Chaperone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.