Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

CARES Child Aviation Restraints for toddlers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Erasmus
Please post your real-world experiences on which aircraft seats it works on, or doesn't work on.

Consolidated Infant Restraints in Premium Cabin

Works
Scandinavian Airlines - A330/A340 - Economy seats
Scandinavian Airlines - A330/A340 - Economy Extra seats
United Airlines - all narrowbodies - Economy and Economy Plus seats

Works with a lot of effort (please describe)

Doesn't work at all
Print Wikipost

CARES Child Aviation Restraints for toddlers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Accidental_Flyer
Does anyone have experience with CARES and the US Envoy seats? We're flying PHL-FRA and AA quite clearly says
"If your infant will travel in his or her own seat, you will need to buy a ticket and bring a safety seat approved by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)."
but we rather not carry the big car seat around. Plus, what would you do with the car seat once you make the bed flat?
Not sure how similar the seats are, but CARES worked with the AA A321T flat business class seats -- a little odd reaching behind the guts of the seat with the strap, but it did work.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Accidental_Flyer
Does anyone have experience with CARES and the US Envoy seats? We're flying PHL-FRA and AA quite clearly says
"If your infant will travel in his or her own seat, you will need to buy a ticket and bring a safety seat approved by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)."
but we rather not carry the big car seat around. Plus, what would you do with the car seat once you make the bed flat?
You might want to google USAirways Envoy images to see actual pictures of the cabin layout and seats themselves. They are pod settings so you won't have direct access to your child unless you get up. How old is your child? Will they be ok to sit alone for takeoff and landing? They'll need to be held (if under 2) or secured for t/o, landing and anytime the seat belt sign is on. Hope you have a great trip!
Old Jun 13, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jbufano
Looking for some confirmation that CARES is or is NOT allowed in UA GF. Have a trip planned to Asia with my wife and 3 year old who is ~25lbs. If CARES is not an option, is it safe to assume that we can use her car seat for takeoff and landing in the Global First cabin? We are flying on both the 747 and 777 on our trip.

Are there any other options for this plane/seat type? Any real world experience would be appreciated. I searched many forums/posts but was unable to loacate a firm answer.

Thanks,
JB
I have flown UA GF from the US to Japan, and a CARES harness will not fit around the pod seat. For a three year old, I don't see why you wouldn't just use the seat belt. BTW, the GF seats also have a shoulder belt as well as a lap belt; this probably wouldn't fit a three year old.

I would definitely not bring the car seat; this kind of defeats the purpose of a lie flat seat, plus, I don't know where in the cabin there wold be room to store a car seat if you do use the lie flat seat.

Personally, I would not fly GF with a three year old. The seats are pretty separated and it would be very difficult to attend to your child without getting out of your own seat and walking over to thm.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC*G
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
You might want to google USAirways Envoy images to see actual pictures of the cabin layout and seats themselves. They are pod settings so you won't have direct access to your child unless you get up. How old is your child? Will they be ok to sit alone for takeoff and landing? They'll need to be held (if under 2) or secured for t/o, landing and anytime the seat belt sign is on. Hope you have a great trip!
Thanks! She is just under 2 but very tall, heavy and active. Since we're flying on miles and the lap infant charge is 10% of the full fare cash price, we got her a seat to herself. We might just have to take her in our lap for take-off. The pod design is less than ideal for that but BA's taxes are just too much.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: AC*G
To update this thread and answer my own question. The CARES harness fit around the US Envoy pod seat on the A330. It was pretty much at max length but it worked for take-off and landing. Note that you can make the seat flat with the harness in place.

However, the above comment regarding the pods being at an angle is a valid one. We taxied for a long time and our little girl almost lost it being very much on her own for so long (it was past her bedtime). Luckily, I'm pretty tall and could lean in and around the wall but I can see how it would not work for everyone.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:38 pm

works great on almost all southwest planes we flew on. do not remember the models but probably md80/737 or the likes. worked fine on american eagle emj jets also.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by isriam
works great on almost all southwest planes we flew on. do not remember the models but probably md80/737 or the likes. worked fine on american eagle emj jets also.
All Southwest planes are (and always have been) 737s.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:31 am

Does the Cares work on United PS BusinessFirst (flatbed)?

And if so, what should we do with our carseat - I gather gate-check is safest?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by themicah
All Southwest planes are (and always have been) 737s.
Almost true. They had at least one 727 in the 80s, and they had some 717s in the fleet after they acquired AirTran, but those are almost all gone.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
I have used a CARES harness for my son since he was 2. Personally, having the ability to strap him into the seat and restrict his movement (he likes to explore) is the main benefit, followed by its size which makes it easy to carry.

It simply straps around the back of your chair (you might have to ask the person below to lower their table so you can tuck it behind) and attaches to the lap belt. I reckon you could fit it around a rather wide seat, but maybe not one of those business class encased seats that become beds (unless if you can tuck it over the seat somehow) There are two shoulder/chest straps which can be quickly buckled for when the dinner trolley comes or it's time to land, etc.

My wife was initially hesitant (she doesn't like to spend any money) but it's proved a good investment.

Hope that is enlightening.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
So this covers the tray table of the person behind you, correct? I'm debating whether or not I should buy one for my son (he won't stay in a seat very well) but don't want to start arguments with other passengers. In my experience they'll already not to happy to be seated next to a toddler.

Also, if CARES doesn't work, what's the best way of keeping a two year old seat belted in?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Kate2015
So this covers the tray table of the person behind you, correct?
It should fit under the (closed) try table, not over it. It does require brief access to the seat area behind, but after that it shouldn't interfere with their seating until you have to remove it after the flight.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Kate2015
So this covers the tray table of the person behind you, correct?
It goes under their tray table, not over it. See the instructional video (queued to the relevant segment starting at 1:40):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76mbOcVmp1g#t=100

If you arrive before the person behind you, you do it yourself as shown in the video. I usually board late in the boarding process, and the folks sitting behind my kids have always been perfectly happy (when asked nicely) to hold their tray table open for 20 seconds or so while I secure the harness and make sure the loose end of the strap is tucked out of their way. After it's installed it doesn't interfere with their use of the tray table.

I'm debating whether or not I should buy one for my son (he won't stay in a seat very well) but don't want to start arguments with other passengers. In my experience they'll already not to happy to be seated next to a toddler.
We've found the CARES harness helpful. We refer to it as the kids' "special airplane seatbelt" and talk about how they're strapping in like a race car driver or fighter pilot. Make it fun!

Also, if CARES doesn't work, what's the best way of keeping a two year old seat belted in?
Rewards, threats and distractions. Just like everything else with toddlers.

Our backup (we try to start with books and toys and stuff, and only use the electronics as last resorts) is a video player loaded with favorite shows/movies with headphones and a battery backup. Be sure to "practice" with headphones at home first if the kid isn't used to wearing them, because playing Elmo's World at full volume on an iPad is a much more effective way of pissing off the people sitting around you than attaching a CARES harness.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Bump. Does amsafe Cares work in United Lie Flat seats? Thoughts on buying this vs using my Chicco keyfit? We have two long flights coming up with a 1 year old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.