FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel with Children (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children-221/)
-   -   2 in J or 3 in Y (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children/1296890-2-j-3-y.html)

Swooop12 Dec 31, 2011 5:01 am

2 in J or 3 in Y

Would you rather have 2 seats in J (CO BF) or 3 in Y for a 4 hr flight with a 6 month infant? Thoughts?

irfan23 Dec 31, 2011 5:09 am

2 in J.

erik123 Dec 31, 2011 2:31 pm

+1 - especially if you have no status.

Erasmus Dec 31, 2011 4:50 pm

Depends on your kid; only you know how (s)he will do in lap. For our first, it was 3 in Y no questions asked.

schwarm Dec 31, 2011 10:44 pm

Answer: 3 in J

Impossible to answer your question without knowing price difference and how much you can afford. For the same price/miles, 2 in J would probably be better.

However, the difference between Y and J is not as great as it would be if traveling without baby. Even in J, you are unlikely to have a good, easy flight: your job is to take care of a baby. Any in Y with 3 seats, you will have more space than you are used to. You will likely have an entire row of 3 seats, and the baby hardly takes up any room. Plus, you may be able to put the baby in its (his, her) car seat, the best possible place for it.

Eclipsepearl Jan 1, 2012 2:59 am

Another vote for 3 in J.

Using a car seat is actually the only safe way to fly with a baby. On a practical note, it's no fun being pinned under a sleeping baby, unable to go to the restroom or being able to eat or sleep comfortably, even if the seat is bigger.

A bassinet is no replacement for a car seat, in terms of safety or convenience. Many are too small even for a 6 monther and getting one is not guaranteed.

As a pp pointed out, the comforts and advantages of business are less a factor with a baby.

This is controversial to say but also, Y is more "baby friendly". As a Flight Attendant, I got more complaints about babies in business than in the back. But don't let this be a deal-breaker. It's still your right to fly in business with a baby!

belfordrocks Jan 1, 2012 3:12 am

Off-topic: What BusinessFirst route is only 4 hours long?

Erasmus Jan 1, 2012 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks (Post 17724769)
Off-topic: What BusinessFirst route is only 4 hours long?

Eastbound transcons in the winter.

Eclipsepearl Jan 2, 2012 3:04 am

Um, that's still a bit fast. If it's an airline doing int'l, they'll have domestic flights to reposition aircraft, or just wandering around the system doing both.

Swooop12 Jan 2, 2012 5:31 am

So it seems like there's no consensus and it's a matter of personal preference? Thanks for no help :) My thought was that being able to have the baby sit in his car seat was a big plus. However, sitting in Y with no status isn't something to look forward to. I'm still undecided!

Thanks all!

belfordrocks Jan 2, 2012 5:41 am

2x J > 3x Y

There's consensus... ;)

Eclipsepearl Jan 2, 2012 7:08 am

The three seats in J seem to be winning. That's definitely how I'd go...

The car seat is definitely a plus. If you go with two seats in business, be zen in the fact your child is not secure and make sure you both take turns with the baby!!! I have one of those husbands who will sit and let me do all the work (unless I insist) so it also depends on how hands-on both of you are.

Having the car seat meant I didn't have to hold the baby all the time, especially when s/he fell asleep.

Flyingmama Jan 2, 2012 1:45 pm

Another vote here for 3 seats in Y. My tolerance for non-stop holding of a baby is only about 3 hours. As Eclipsepearl notes, handing off the baby to the father only works if the father is willing. Mine wasn't. Hopefully yours is if you decide to go for 2 seats in J.

6rugrats Jan 2, 2012 4:58 pm

Also vote for three in Y. That way you all have your own seats. There's really no benefit, IMO, in sitting in business/first for this flight. The FAs won't help you, you can't enjoy food or drink holding a baby.

I don't think status or no status makes any difference.

Ancien Maestro Jan 2, 2012 10:39 pm

3 in y.. save the bucks for a suite or condo, that is roomy enough for the family..

Eclipsepearl Jan 3, 2012 1:07 am

Dumb question but when you say "no status", you mean the simple fact that you're not in a premium cabin or do you mean you wont earn credit on your flight for your specific mileage program? (i.e. flying another company who is not part of your "group"). Sorry if this seems obvious but I just wanted to clarify.

belfordrocks Jan 3, 2012 4:04 am

I'm assuming you're using miles, since that's the only way the price of 2x J can equal the price of 3x Y. In that case, 2x J for sure.

Swooop12 Jan 3, 2012 5:10 am

I mean status by no express security, premium seating, lounge, etc. The other problem is that my baby's personality changes all the time as he grows... so I have no idea what he'll be like in a couple weeks let alone in two months!

I think I'm leaning toward J and seeing what happens...

Eclipsepearl Jan 3, 2012 5:11 am

2 in J means holding the baby all the time.

6rugrats Jan 3, 2012 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Swooop12 (Post 17736628)
I mean status by no express security, premium seating, lounge, etc.

I think I'm leaning toward J and seeing what happens...

But you won't get lounge access on a US only flight, and in coach, there's really no premium seating on CO. Right now, "premium seats" are just those seats closer to the front of the aircraft. The only seats in coach with more legroom are the exit rows (out for you) or the bulkheads. The rest are just the same.

Anna Phor Jan 4, 2012 1:55 pm

Depends on your kid. Mine screamed bloody murder in his car seat until he was about a year and a half old. Getting him to sit in a constrained space, buckled in, for 4+ hours would have been hell for us and everyone around us. Having him curl up into me and fall asleep while I read a book was easy.

erik123 Jan 4, 2012 7:06 pm

The no status is not about the seat so much, or lounge access (not worth much on CO) as the ease of moving through the airport - and the treatment you will receive if there are delays/cancellations, etc. J will make the entire travel experience much easier.

ksm06 Jan 4, 2012 8:03 pm

Another vote for 2J

Ancien Maestro Jan 4, 2012 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Anna Phor (Post 17747462)
Depends on your kid. Mine screamed bloody murder in his car seat until he was about a year and a half old. Getting him to sit in a constrained space, buckled in, for 4+ hours would have been hell for us and everyone around us. Having him curl up into me and fall asleep while I read a book was easy.

Both kids loved to curl up in the lap.. and the breastfeeding helped to calm them down when little.. 2 year old still breast feeds, and I find having that extra seat helped a ton..

We will be trying Business Class going to London.. will be interesting to have Business Class seats, and how we handle our 2 year old in J for a long flight..

Eclipsepearl Jan 5, 2012 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Anna Phor (Post 17747462)

This is a common misconception. Just to clarify, having the car seat does NOT mean that the child has to be strapped in the entire flight. They can get up and move around the cabin, just like other passengers, when the seat belt sign is off.

My kids hated their car seats too but they knew when they had to sit in them. Our flights are 11 1/2 hours so yeah, that wouldn't have been very realistic to have kept them buckled the whole time. Still, they were safe on take-off and landing, the most likely times when an accident could happen. Also, I had somewhere to put them when they fell asleep. It's nice to have your child cuddled on your lap but good luck going to the restroom when you need it!!!

CBear Jan 6, 2012 5:59 pm

3 in Y.

As point out above, 2 in J means someone is holding the baby, which means that one of is going to be eating and another is going to be watching (by now, you're probably used to it ;)). Also, at six months, baby should be able to sit up with a little assistance, making it easier to put baby next to you for a few moments when you need a break. Plus you can get baby to spread out on the third seat if/when baby falls asleep, freeing your lap for a little while.
This is all assuming you are not using a car seat.

6 months is way to squirmy of an age to hold baby in my lap for 4 hours!

morepointsplease Jan 21, 2012 4:38 am

2 in J always. you are almost sure to get a bassinet row anyway. our babies never liked being in them but its handy to store stuff and then you can hold baby or even lie down with them sleeping on you which is much easier than having them cry in a bassinet. For meals you'd just take it in turns, its not that hard - and in J they will be able to keep it warm for you etc

morepointsplease Jan 21, 2012 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 17750548)
Both kids loved to curl up in the lap.. and the breastfeeding helped to calm them down when little.. 2 year old still breast feeds, and I find having that extra seat helped a ton..

We will be trying Business Class going to London.. will be interesting to have Business Class seats, and how we handle our 2 year old in J for a long flight..

Good for you :) My eldest was an avid breastfeeder and the final long haul when she was getting close to 2 and just wanted to do it constantly I swore never to fly with her again till she'd weaned! The youngest (16mths) is totally different and generally isn't even interested in the classic 'feed on take off and landing advice' that everyone seems to give..

We fly from Syd-London almost every year and where poss upgrade to business - it makes a huge difference. 4 year old now loves it - though of course she would be fine in Y. But its great with the 16mth old too as she would be on one of us most of the time anyway - otherwise running amok in the cabin!

Eclipsepearl Jan 21, 2012 6:52 am

The youngest (16mths) is totally different and generally isn't even interested in the classic 'feed on take off and landing advice' that everyone seems to give..

Funny how different kids have different needs. The whole process is different for each.

This is a common myth that somehow feeding on take-off and landing is supposed to help their ears. I hated seeing children woken up and forced to drink. I let mine sleep and they never had any ear problems.

With an active toddler, it can be impossible to force them to breastfeed or even drink anything when they aren't interested. Take-off can be fun for them (if they didn't sleep on the taxi to the runway...)

It's nice to have a seat to place a baby in when sleeping. In business, it's possible if the seat is wide enough but some airlines have really narrow ones so it's holding your baby on your lap the whole time, passing them back and forth, even in business!

Ancien Maestro Jan 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by morepointsplease (Post 17856667)
2 in J always. you are almost sure to get a bassinet row anyway. our babies never liked being in them but its handy to store stuff and then you can hold baby or even lie down with them sleeping on you which is much easier than having them cry in a bassinet. For meals you'd just take it in turns, its not that hard - and in J they will be able to keep it warm for you etc

The bassinet would definitely be a game changer to get two J seats.. If the convenience and degree of certainty is there, then for sure 2 J seats on rewards (don't know about paid)..

Trying to get bulkhead with bassinet in Y would be difficult..

nacho Jan 22, 2012 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 17860245)
Trying to get bulkhead with bassinet in Y would be difficult..

Depending on the airline, LX, AF, LH are the ones that block those seats exclusively for parents with infant. E.g. We couldn't get a row bulkhead all my ourselves for our LH flight, since we had 1 infant, we can max. get 2 seats on the bassinet row.

Of course they are based on first come first serve basis, which means that they could be completely booked up when you book your flight.

WhiteYUL Jan 24, 2012 9:58 am

As much as we all love travelling in J, for a 4 hour flight I'd opt for 3Y. I've done both and for a longhaul, baby and I'd be both more comfortable in J even with taking turns holding a sleeping/fully awake id and eating in shifts.

But for a shorter flight I'd give up a bit of comfort so that we could lie the sleeping child down across the third seat or he/she can sit up and watch the IFE, read the inflight magazine or Skymall ;). Regardless if the seat is in Y or J, I expect to have to likely eat in shift and hold a sleepy child for a certain period of time.

As for priority access, I have found that travelling with a small child (works well when you're with a stroller) especially in Europe and more and more in North American, I get called over to priority line for customs & immigrations and security screening. I always check-in on line and only need to stand in line for baggage drop off.

connectcto Feb 2, 2012 9:23 pm

It really depends on the airline and/or route flown.

We flew 4 hours from Singapore to Taipei, it was okay in Y.

We flew 18 hours from Los Angeles to Singapore, and I wouldn't go anything less than J.

I wrote about it http://www.connectcto.com/w/2011/08/...with-toddlers/

mdavies Feb 6, 2012 12:32 am

Originally Posted by schwarm (Post 17724290)
Answer: 3 in J

+1^

always, always get the baby a seat. it will make your life better. If you can't afford 3 in J, do 3 in Y.