Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

One Business Class/Lap Child vs. Two Coach Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Hello all,

My 18 mo. old son and I will be traveling to Asia (either on Emirates or Qatar) and am wondering if it would be better to buy one business class seat w/ lap child or two economy tickets? He is very active toddler. Also, do I need to take the car seat?

Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:43 am

Programs: United Plus
You need to take the car seat if you opt for the two seats in economy.

The two seats, using a car seat is your safest option. I personally find it easier to have my children in their own space and I liked the fact that when they slept, I could strap them in the seat and they were safe if turbulence hit while I was in the restroom or getting a drink. One of mine was also a wiggly sleeper and would have been really uncomfortable as a lap baby, even if I had been in a bigger seat.

You need to confirm that the airline will accept your seat. If you are in the U.S., know that most car seats there are FAA approved and if you are flying a U.S. company and your baby has a seat, it's your right to use it on board by law. Foreign companies have different rules, especially if your car seat and the nationality of your company don't match. Look into this before deciding.

One major issue to consider is, do you need your car seat at your destination? If so, having it on board is the smartest option. Never check a car seat as luggage (they're too often lost and broken by the airlines who usually wont compensate you). Gate check it if you need to but hopefully, if you go for business, then you can stow it on board somewhere, or gate-check it.

This is a tough age for travel so it's a tough call. You might sit in business if your toddler is generally quiet, you think you can sleep comfortably in the same seat and you don't need to take your car seat on this trip. If he's active, he can play on the floor or you can keep him moving if but avoid flying business with a screamer.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two coach seats will give you more space. We tried to experiment with lap kids in UA C seats and space was simply too tight to manage it on longer flights. This will be even more pronounced if you travel alone and have a seatmate next to you.

If you don't plan to drive at your destination i don't see any reason to drag a carseat with you.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: United Plus
They might be required to have a car seat for a child under 2.

So true that United has very skinny Business Class seats. Maybe look into this point too?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by meers
My 18 mo. old son and I will be traveling to Asia (either on Emirates or Qatar) and am wondering if it would be better to buy one business class seat w/ lap child or two economy tickets? He is very active toddler. Also, do I need to take the car seat?
Hands down Two Economy (Preferably Plus or whatever the airline you take calls extra legroom) seats and bring car seat.

We took our little guy to Europe from west coast as a lapchild at 6 months with no problem at all. He just loved being held the whole time. Took him to Hawaii at around a year and still loved it. Fast forward a year to an 18 month old little guy going to Hawaii (only half the air time of Europe) and again as a lapchild though this time on the way out there were empty seats so UA let us bring his car seat on board on the outbound and he had a great time. Now on the way back on the other hand.....

No spare seats this time so we found out what its like to have a 18 month old in a plane for 6 hours with no space of his own. It was an awful experience for him and everyone else. We had a great flight crew who tried to help with toys and offering to try to carry him, but it was just flat out bad.

The best setup we've had was UA Economy Plus Bulkhead seats where we were the only passengers in our row section and he could be in his seat when he wanted or play on the floor in front of us and not worry about blocking anyone's recline when he just needed to be able to move. Also being able to bring his own car seat helped him know we were traveling like he is used to in the car and not just being tortured strapped into some strange seat.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 4:34 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
If the two economy seats are window-aisle, then we've found that it's helpful for the kid to be in the window seat so that em can get out of the seat without wandering away. The adult serves as a block in the middle.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
I really don't know how anyone can even consider holding a toddler in their lap for a flight from the US to Asia. Get the two, or better yet, three economy seats so you can spread out.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slomrtwo
The best setup we've had was UA Economy Plus Bulkhead seats where we were the only passengers in our row section and he could be in his seat when he wanted or play on the floor in front of us and not worry about blocking anyone's recline when he just needed to be able to move. Also being able to bring his own car seat helped him know we were traveling like he is used to in the car and not just being tortured strapped into some strange seat.
Just a note on this - the last few long haul flights I have taken, I have been in bulkhead seats, and the flight attendents were quite active in stopping children sitting and playing on the floor in front of the seats for safety reasons, so don't count on that as a given.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 4:09 pm

Another vote for 2 seats with a carseat in one. Your LO will probably be much more comfortable and likely to take naps in a seat he is used to.

You may also consider rear-facing him, because then his legs won't be able to jostle the passenger in front. That person's seat may not be able to recline as much, but you can offer him or her that choice, if you think it will help with goodwill.

GL!
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by emma69
Just a note on this - the last few long haul flights I have taken, I have been in bulkhead seats, and the flight attendents were quite active in stopping children sitting and playing on the floor in front of the seats for safety reasons, so don't count on that as a given.
I agree; I've never seen them allow children to play on the floor. The floor is filthy anyway.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:58 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by alia
You may also consider rear-facing him, because then his legs won't be able to jostle the passenger in front. That person's seat may not be able to recline as much, but you can offer him or her that choice, if you think it will help with goodwill.

GL!
Just be aware that Emirates only allow forward facing car seats (i just had a look on their website)
Neither Emirates or Qatar appear to have a problem with US car seats however
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by fredandgingermad
Just be aware that Emirates only allow forward facing car seats (i just had a look on their website)
Neither Emirates or Qatar appear to have a problem with US car seats however
Good heads up, thanks.

BIL might be joining Emirates if he can figure out how to do math. It's making for some good family in-jokes, for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.