Strollers on Air France

Old Oct 12, 10, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Strollers on Air France

I wanted to share some of our recent experiences on Air France with our Maclaren Quest stroller.

I had done a lot of research prior to this summer and found nothing but terrible reviews and horrible stories about Air France and gate checking strollers. (Lost, Broken, not allowed, etc.)

We had quite the opposite experience. I found a small blurb on Air France's website with dimensions and stating that these would be allowed in small amounts on any long haul flight. The Quest just barely fell within the requirements so with that print out we were off!

June 2010, LAX - CDG on a 777, we were allowed to bring the stroller on board and it was put in the Business Class closet. (We were flying business class)

June 2010, CDG - LHR on a smaller airbus. We were allowed to bring the stroller on board and it fit easily in an overhead compartment. (We were flying business class)

September 2010, LAX - CDG on a 777 we were allowed to bring the stroller on board and put it in an overhead compartment. Initially one of the LAX agents questioned if we were allowed to, but I showed her the paperwork, she let us go and the flight attendents were fine with it.

September 2010, CDG - MUC on a smaller airbus, we were told no and to gate check it...until they scanned our boarding passes and we were upgraded to first class then the boarding agent told me to go ahead and take it on board no problem.

September 2010, MUC - CDG on a smaller airbus, again encouraged to bring it on and it fit in the overhead bins.

September 2010, CDG - LAX on a 777, late boarding due to tight connection we were again encouraged to bring it on board and it fit fine in an overhead bin.

Just wanted to put this out there for some of you who worry like I do!

I suppose with a lot less children flying in Europe than what we see here in the US it's easier for them to accomodate strollers on board. I really wish some of the US Carriers would allow them though. We would not have been able to make some of our connections if we had to wait for a gate checked stroller or didn't have one!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this or something else. We fly all the time, my three year old has been Gold Medalion on Delta since she was 16 months old! =)
Old Oct 13, 10, 2:43 am

Programs: United Plus
On both U.S. airlines I worked for, strollers, canes and luggage carts were not allowed in the overhead bins for safety reasons. There was a problem with them coming down on other passengers' heads when everyone is grabbing stuff and pulling it down after landing. People just don't pay attention. One woman (not on my flight) had permanate nerve damage.

I think logically this would be less of a problem in business class. Foreign companies don't have as strict safety rules, especially inside the cabin. I see, for instance, F/A's getting up from their seats while still rolling on the tarmac to return coats (which we weren't allowed to do).

I'm glad no one was hurt by your stroller being in the overhead! I would not like to see U.S. companies allow this though. Stowing them in closets is a much better idea but there are few, if any, in economy. Much less risky.

Air France lets economy passengers take the stroller to the door of the plane, where it is gate-checked and then returned on the baggage carousel on arrival. So if you had had to gate-check the stroller, you wouldn't have had to wait for it at any connection points. It would have been checked to your final destination and you would have not had a stroller at your connection airport.

This is one of the reasons I and many I know (in RL and online) do not fly Air France. I just didn't want to face CDG airport, alone with three small children and no stroller. Upper class passengers are obviously treated much differently and safety regs are much more lax!
Old Oct 13, 10, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
You will never be able to justify to me how a stroller is less safe than someone's giant rollaboard suitcase in an overhead.

I've seen so many dropped on people and they weight a whole lot more than our stroller!

As for gate checking, maybe you have not read all of the reviews, but the problem was the strollers were NOT coming back up to the jetway even when they were supposed to. Hence the reason for bringing them on the plane.
Old Oct 15, 10, 12:41 pm

CDG does not allow strollers to be delivered at the gate. Most carriers have no prohibition against carrying strollers on board (I've done some many time on US carriers when in business) - but typically FAs will refuse strollers even if they fit very easily.
Old Jan 11, 12, 4:52 pm

Programs: Ex Marriot Platinum, CO Gold
Strollers Larger Than Air France Dimensions

Sorry to re-open an older thread, but I felt it relevant. My wife and I will be flying Air France and have a stroller larger than the dimensions given on the baggage website. We were wondering if we will be allowed to bring the stroller to the gate and gate check it, if somehow we will get blocked when going through security.

Anyone have any experiences? We will be traveling with a Bugaboo Bee.
Old Jan 12, 12, 2:03 am

The problem isn't security but AF itself. They'll allow you to take it to the gage BUT they wont return your stroller until your final destination. If you're only going to Paris, that's not a big deal but dealing with CDG alone without a stroller might not be a pleasant experience!

Keep in mind that strollers in overhead bins can and do cause injuries so it's better than it's not allowed on U.S. companies. If you're instructed to do so on a foreign company, be very careful especially after landing. That's when it's likely to crash down on someone's head so monitor what's going on.
Old Jan 16, 12, 4:42 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
CDG does not allow strollers to be delivered at the gate
It must be a while ago since I flew with AF. I got a Chicco ct 0.5 when I was flying HKG-CDG-CPH, and I was able to gate check it at HKG and got it back at CDG.

If you are in transit at CDG you'll really appreciate your stroller.
Old Jan 17, 12, 5:16 am

Oh gosh yes!!

Did you get it on the jetway or did you have to go to baggage claim?
Old Feb 8, 12, 10:25 am

Mixed AF Experience With A Stroller

I wanted to give you my experience with a baby and stroller. This was my wife, 15 month old and me travelling BOS-CDG-DXB and DXB-CDG-MSP in coach.

For the BOS-CDG flight, they initially wanted to gate check it, but after a brief protest, they agreed to let us take it on board and a FA put it in the business closet. This flight was almost full, but we were lucky that the crew was very nice and moved someone so we could have a free seat for our daughter. Having the stroller in CDG was a godsend as we had a long connection there. It was difficult on arrival though because we deboarded with airstairs into the rain (but that's an unrelated AF deficiency).

For the CDG-DXB flight, they insisted on gate checking the stroller to baggage claim. We protested but to no avail. The long long walk from the plane, through immigration to the baggage claim in DXB was no fun at all. I don't think there was another option though. The ground handling in CDG is incredibly unhelpful.

For DXB-CDG they tried to make us check the stroller at checkin. We protested that we need the stroller for our connection. After some consultation, the checkin agent rooted around and found a special "gate check" sticker (which said KLM and not AF on it) that she stuck on the stroller and said that they would give it back to us in CDG after checking it planeside at DXB. At planeside in DXB I confirmed this with the person handling strollers on the tarmac, and pointed to this sticker. Trying to organize this special gate check was a bad idea. When we arrived in CDG the person on the jetway was adamant that we were not getting our stroller back in CDG and that it would be checked to our final destination. Because our first flight was late, we didn't have time to argue and ran to make the connection.

On arrival in MSP, the stroller did not come out in baggage claim. They delivered it to our hotel there the following evening.

I think the moral of the story is to push hard to get the stroller on the plane with you but to have a backup plan if they don't let you. Or to not fly AF with small children.
Old Feb 8, 12, 12:56 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl View Post
Oh gosh yes!!

Did you get it on the jetway or did you have to go to baggage claim?
Jetway at CDG, baggage claim at CPH. At HKG it's always jetway regardless of airline.
Old Feb 8, 12, 7:37 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Jetway at CDG, baggage claim at CPH. At HKG it's always jetway regardless of airline.
Wasn't when i flew to HKG with QR from LGW, i gate checked the stroller at LGW and got it back at baggage claim in HKG, could have done with it in DOH as had 6 hour layover but such is life! it then got damaged in transit on the way home
Old May 2, 17, 1:15 pm

Anyone had success in getting the stroller at the gate during transit at cdg?
Old May 3, 17, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
Not sure if this was just my experience or the norm, but just took a flight from Boston with a layover in CDG. In Boston, we were told that they would have to check the stroller all the way through to our final destination and that they would not deliver it to us in CDG. (Fortunately, I had a stroller that fit in the overhead when folded (Mountain Buggy Nano), so I was allowed to take it on and store in the overhead so I had it in CDG for a 5 hour layover. Some of the other parents on the plane weren't so lucky and had to schlep their kids around in CDG with no stroller.)
Old May 3, 17, 1:02 pm

Glad to know they allowed the stroller in the plane. I have gb qbit stroller.Hope they will let me to take it. Did they check the size of the stroller?
Old May 4, 17, 7:22 am

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by tdad View Post
Glad to know they allowed the stroller in the plane. I have gb qbit stroller.Hope they will let me to take it. Did they check the size of the stroller?
They did not.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: