Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Infant Restraints in Premium Cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: United Plus
However, I am not at all clear that this extends to a particular ticketed cabin--my read is that it only ensures seating somewhere on the aircraft. In particular, this is the text that suggests the "right" does not apply for premium cabins:

Of course it does. The FAA requires that passengers stay in the same cabin. This is why the disabling feature on the airbag seats are found on U.S. aircraft. They can't force you to downgrade if you paid for premium. We were not allowed to move any passengers out of their cabin.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:02 pm

Sorry Erasmus, I missed the part about lie flat vs rows
The extension we use to deactivate the airbag is called the Universal extension. Unfortunately extensions are one of those items that tend to walk off the airplane on a regular basis. People are either embarrassed to ask for one or they are afraid we won't have them so they slip them in their carry on after the flight. We don't stock the Universal at every downline city, They can only be restocked at hubs and maintenance bases. Can't answer your question about change of cabin but since the Universal works on every airbag seat in our fleet I would imagine if we didn't have one you would have to use a seat with a regular seat belt unless one could be obtained before departure.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:44 am

Wow, in 13 years of flying I never had problems with extensions "disappearing" on either airline! But I worked almost all international and we rarely used them. You'd have to be pretty large to need one in the first place.

If we were short, we could always use the one in the demo bag! That's basically the seat belt they use for the demo.

You can actually change the seat belt but you'd need a free seat to swap with. There weren't extra seat belts but sometimes I'd grab them from the crew rest area (always writing it up afterwards!) You lift the seat bottom and unhook it. I did it when a passenger's seat belt got wet or nasty with something. Get rid of the airbag seat belt and install a normal one.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
You can actually change the seat belt but you'd need a free seat to swap with. There weren't extra seat belts but sometimes I'd grab them from the crew rest area (always writing it up afterwards!) You lift the seat bottom and unhook it. I did it when a passenger's seat belt got wet or nasty with something. Get rid of the airbag seat belt and install a normal one.
Wow, great tip. ^ I'll have to investigate the seat belt attachments next time I board to see if these seat belts are as easily detachable--and attach in the same way as the coach belts.

Of course, conducting that kind of seat surgery would clearly require a very knowledgable and/or understanding FA, not one who was just interested in enforcing her version of the rules.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:10 pm

It's not a matter of the f/a making up their own rules in this case. The seats that are equipped with airbags are certified to be used with only that type of seatbelt so you would basically be nullifying the certification by attempting to swap them. The seatbelt in Y are also going to be shorter because those seats are more narrow. YMMV but according to maintenance and the pilots I just flew with (who checked their FOM) at my airline it can't legally be done.
I'm optimistic you won't have issues because if you're flying a bigger airplane out of a hub they should have them readily available.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:29 pm

Yes, F/A's can't make up their own rules. Seat belts can also come from the same cabin. They don't necessarily have to come from elsewhere.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
OZ: Carseats allowed in all cabins.

CA: Carseats not allowed per CS, however YMMV onboard
Old May 19, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 2mm, SPG Gold
Does anyone know the acceptability of CARES in Iberia and Airberlin business class? We are traveling in October with our 2 year old.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:13 pm

AA / Business / Bassinet

Hi - going to be flying with my wife and then-18-month old son in AA business (NYC-> Europe on a 767) in a few months. Two questions for smarter folks than I:

a) Are there any seats that are/are not recommended in business for these purposes?

b) any experiences with using a bassinet in AA business?

all responses greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Welcome to FT!

There are no bassinets in business class on this aircraft.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:48 am

And 18 months is too old/big in any case. what seats to pick depends on the configuration - but if 2/2/2 pick 2 on left or right. It's not overly difficult to sleep with a 18 m/o in one business seat.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by erik123
And 18 months is too old/big in any case. what seats to pick depends on the configuration - but if 2/2/2 pick 2 on left or right. It's not overly difficult to sleep with a 18 m/o in one business seat.
If the 18 m/o will sleep....
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Any news on AA biz class? I'm looking at flying RDU-MIA-SJO with my DD who will be just over two at the time. Trying to decide on buying vs miles vs :shudder: coach!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Redhead
Any news on AA biz class? I'm looking at flying RDU-MIA-SJO with my DD who will be just over two at the time. Trying to decide on buying vs miles vs :shudder: coach!
I've used a carseat in domestic F on AA and regularly use the CARES harness in coach. You definitely want to watch out for seats with airbags (bulkheads, generally) since it can be difficult to use a carseat with the disabling extension.

I'll be using our CARES harness on Wednesday (738 domestic F) - I'll let you know how well it works if nobody chimes in before then.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rjque
I've used a carseat in domestic F on AA and regularly use the CARES harness in coach. You definitely want to watch out for seats with airbags (bulkheads, generally) since it can be difficult to use a carseat with the disabling extension.

I'll be using our CARES harness on Wednesday (738 domestic F) - I'll let you know how well it works if nobody chimes in before then.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.