Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Can one adult travel with 3 children?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:34 am
Original Poster

can 1 adt travel on a flight with 3chd does anybody know
Old Jul 12, 2010, 4:39 am

Programs: I am a lowly ant
Yes, though hopefully paying a bit more attention to the children than you did to making your post.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:47 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver
How old are the children and what is their general behaviour like. I would imagine it would be a nightmare for the parent AND the other passengers if the children were all toddlers and restless. Not to mention, how long is the proposed flight.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Might also help to know the aircraft and seat configuration in terms of how/if the kids and adult need to be split up.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JamesC007
Why are you texting on a website?

Of course 1 adult can travel with 3 children on a flight. As others have mentioned, it's helpful to know ages, relationship, origin/destination (ie, domestic, international, duration of flight), equipment (ie, model of airplane), layovers, etc.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:43 am

This is generally not a problem, provided that no more than one child is below 2 years of age without its own seat.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:46 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 7:51 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Please follow in our Travel with Children forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:15 pm

The family across the aisle from me was doing that... two trips ago, I guess it was? Those kids were very well behaved and the older ones were helping look after the little one, but I guess it depends on the kids and parent. No rule against it, anyway.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:20 am

Programs: United Plus
I've been flying alone with my three children between Europe and California for over 10 years. I think my husband was with me once, and not seated with us... They are 2 year 2 months and 2 years, 4 months apart and each flew for the first time at 4 months old.

It helps that I'm a former Flight Attendant and I've been flying as a passenger myself since I was 8 weeks old. Most of my family lives on the East Coast and I grew up in California so there were a lot of trips back and forth.

You have to be really organized and pay attention to all the details. Mine were all breastfed and none had any health concerns (no colic, allergies, etc.), which helped. On all but one trip, everyone had a seat. I only flew with a "lap baby" transatlantically once. It was a real sanity saver to be able to put the youngest down in a car seat when asleep and for take-off and landing. I could more easily take care of the other two and we occupied a row of 4. I also had a good baby carrier which meant I could walk around with the baby and my hands free. This meant I was able to handle my bags and car seat by myself.

There are restrictions on lap children. If (at least) two of your children are under age 2, then you will have to purchase a seat for one of them and bring a car seat per most airlines' rules. You can't have two children on your lap.

Ryanair, a low-cost company in Europe, doesn't allow seats to be purchased for infants and bans car seats in the cabin so an adult can't fly at all with two under two. That's the only instance I know of with this odd rule. I fly them with my three children without a problem (will be on Saturday).

Otherwise, you can travel with as many children as you want!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:18 am

In addition to what the others have already mentioned, one other consideration is that the aviation regulations of some countries do not permit one adult to be responsible for two infants (under the age of two), regardless of whether the infants are in a car seat or not. Here is a link to a Canadian FAQ site and the associated regulation.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by JamesC007
It depends upon the age of the children and the airline. For example, Qantas requires an adult for each child under the age of 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.