Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Where can a nursing mom pump at DFW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:45 pm
jaf
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), UAL (Premier Exec), SPG (Platinum), Hyatt (Diamond), Marriott (Plat), Hertz (Prez)

my wife is nursing and will be travelling out of DFW. she won't have the baby with her. what's the best place for her to have some privacy so she can pump breast milk?

she won't have access to the admirals lounge ... although she could borrow my amex platinum card and EXP card and ask the lounge receptionist nicely. but even if she did get in, I can't think of where in the lounge she would go.

I guess this is not so much an AA question, but since it's about DFW it might as well be.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It sounds like you don't have a spousal Amex Plat for her, which is too bad because the Admirals Club shower rooms might be a good place as they are private and have a small bench.

She might try the XpresSpa [no pun intended], there is one in term A and term D at DFW. They usually have a small room or curtained-off section where they give full body massages. I imagine the kind ladies and occasional male employee who work there might be willing to let her use the room if no one was in it and if she tipped them or perhaps paid for a small service....I don't think they'd make her pay for a full body massage just to use the room.

Other than that, maybe a family bathroom? I think? I've seen them at DFW.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 9:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm going to move this thread to the Traveling With Children Forum for some expert input.

JDiver, Moderator
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jaf
my wife is nursing and will be travelling out of DFW. she won't have the baby with her. what's the best place for her to have some privacy so she can pump breast milk?

she won't have access to the admirals lounge ... although she could borrow my amex platinum card and EXP card and ask the lounge receptionist nicely. but even if she did get in, I can't think of where in the lounge she would go.

I guess this is not so much an AA question, but since it's about DFW it might as well be.
If AC permitted access to spouses who weren't accompanied by the people who have eligibility to visit, what's the puirpose of selling spouse memberships?
Old Oct 13, 2009, 9:25 am
jaf
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), UAL (Premier Exec), SPG (Platinum), Hyatt (Diamond), Marriott (Plat), Hertz (Prez)
thanks for the responses.

mvoight - i'm not questioning AA's right to only allow spouses that have a membership. i'm just saying she could try to ask nicely and see if the receptionist will let her in, since she is a nursing mom and a student. i don't know how strict they are but figured it's worth a shot. it's not worth it to buy a membership just so she can pump - she's not a frequent flier.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:37 am

Asking at any lounge is a good idea - they might let you use a room for the duration and if not - can give you pointers on where to go. I would also ask at check in.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: United Plus
I hope she has a battery powered or hand pump. Finding a plug might be more of a headache than the slightly longer time it takes to pump. Keep it in a plastic bag and she should clean it throughly when she gets to her destination (even if she's "pumping and dumping" which I unfortunately had to do).

I'll sympathize! I worked as a Flight Attendant on long haul trips for 4 months and pumped. In airports (I never went through DFW), I used handicapped bathrooms, baby changing rooms and even unused shower stalls (although that was in an employee-only area). Once at Charles de Gualle, a cleaning lady caught me going into the handicapped restroom (separate room, not a stall) and they were apparently told to not let any non-handicapped in there. When I explained what I needed to do, she put me in their broom closet lol!

She may make it clear to whomever is working the Admiral's club that she only intends to use the restroom to pump and then will leave. Hopefully it's a woman working the entrance that day!

Just be careful that on the airplane, it's better if she tries to pump when the lavs are not very busy. A good time is during the movie.

If she doesn't pump at work, or at least during those hours, she needs to take note of the baby's schedule and make sure she's ready to go when necessary. I've been out shopping and uh oh... especially if there's a time change.

It's kind of weird doing this, especially on the road without the baby. I learned a lot about my supply, in a kind of scientific way. Not to get TMI, but it really varied in amount, color, consistency, etc. I would have never known it if I hadn't done it. It was worth it though, not having to wash bottles at home!

Also, warn her that her supply might dip for about a day after she gets back but it'll come right back up. The baby works better than any plastic object

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.