Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Thrifty | Blue Chip Rewards (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Limited daily mileage when driving away from local provincies

Old Apr 13, 2014, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Hertz PC, FB Explorer, HHonors & Radisson

Hi everyone,

Will be renting with Thrifty a mid size SUV for 15 days next month from Montreal.
Counter rep told me mileage decreases to 200 km/day when driving out of the local area.

No intend of cheating but how do they know ? Does the car has a GPS chip ?

Asking before because I should not exceed the limit in any case but I have 2 long days driving which will be more than 200 km within 1 day.

Anyone to answer that please ?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
is this a joke??

You got a mileage limit of 3000 then. Ofcourse you can drive more then 200km a day. You can drive all day long if you want aslong as you return the car with less then 3000 km on the counter at the end.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Unfortunately, it is not a joke.

Thanks for your reply. I should have been more clear. Here is what is posted in my rental confirmation :

Unlimited kilometer rates, when available, are for the province from which you rented, and the bordering provinces or states. Vehicles taken outside of the province or bordering province or state will receive 200 kilometers per day and a charge of 0.25CAD per each additional kilometer.
Any idea ?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Where exactly do you want to go? Beyond Ontario, New York, VT, NH, ME, New Brunswick? That covers a lot of ground, and fits my definition of bordering. If you do plan on going beyond that, why not just be up front and get a rate that allows you to go where you want?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

I will go to NJ. As per my calculation 200 kms/day should be enough. But I might also have to drive longer and further away.

In any case, my point is : How do they know you are going here or there ? Are they tracking their fleet ?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I honestly don't know, so I called for you. The guy at reservations said they DO have GPS in the cars, but then I asked something like, ok, if I rent a car for a week, how do you know HOW MANY days I spent in New York (which is ok), and how many I spent in NJ (which is the extra charge), he said he had no idea and that he would contact the Montreal airport office and ask them, he put me on hold and then I got disconnected.

Sorry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.