thrifty will rip you off!

 
Old May 18, 09, 12:50 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1
thrifty will rip you off!

Don't rent from Thrify or Dollar! They'll be deceitful and misleading when explaining the insurance coverage so that you buy it when you don't want it. They'll say something like: Do you want just the basic? When they should say: would you like OPTION or EXTRA coverage? My $166 weekly rental jumped to $440 when all was said and done for one week.

I'll never rent from these .......s again.
PRperson is offline  
Old May 18, 09, 7:14 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: UA Premier Silver, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, DL Silver Medallion
Posts: 251
I can just imagine the scene at the Thrifty return counter:

OP: "WTH is this extra charge? This is robbery!"
Thrifty Employee: "That's our optional coverage, which you elected to take on this rental. It was explained to you when you rented"
OP: "I don't remember anything about it being optional, you're a lying thief! I'm never going to rent from you again and I'm going to post this story on every message board on the internet to make sure no one else is swindled by you either!"

And thus, this tale of the OP's ignorance of one of the most widely known facts of the rental car industry--the rental company's optional coverages are just that, optional--came to be posted on one of the world's leading frequent traveller sites, where all members are already well aware of their right to decline all additional coverages and know that it's the renter's responsibility to review the estimate of their charges before leaving the rental office.
Elola is offline  
Old May 19, 09, 12:43 pm
  #3  
LAX
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA; Philadelphia, PA
Programs: OZ Diamond
Posts: 5,094
Originally Posted by Elola View Post
I can just imagine the scene at the Thrifty return counter:

OP: "WTH is this extra charge? This is robbery!"
Thrifty Employee: "That's our optional coverage, which you elected to take on this rental. It was explained to you when you rented"
OP: "I don't remember anything about it being optional, you're a lying thief! I'm never going to rent from you again and I'm going to post this story on every message board on the internet to make sure no one else is swindled by you either!"

And thus, this tale of the OP's ignorance of one of the most widely known facts of the rental car industry--the rental company's optional coverages are just that, optional--came to be posted on one of the world's leading frequent traveller sites, where all members are already well aware of their right to decline all additional coverages and know that it's the renter's responsibility to review the estimate of their charges before leaving the rental office.
I can't imagine any rental car agents flat out lie about the optional coverage being "mandatory." I figure the agent was probably a very good saleman(woman) and made it sound like it would be a very bad decision not to get the optional coverage.

LAX
LAX is offline  
Old May 20, 09, 1:29 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Programs: aeroplan,amex platinum,hilton honours, emerald club elite, priority club
Posts: 212
Originally Posted by PRperson View Post
Don't rent from Thrify or Dollar! They'll be deceitful and misleading when explaining the insurance coverage so that you buy it when you don't want it. They'll say something like: Do you want just the basic? When they should say: would you like OPTION or EXTRA coverage? My $166 weekly rental jumped to $440 when all was said and done for one week.

I'll never rent from these .......s again.
They do not "force you" to take anything. Of course they offer and want you to take coverage but it is optional. In addition cost of coverage is listed on their website. This doesnt apply just to Thirfty but all the major companies. It is clearly on their website what "add on's" are available.
rentalguy is offline  
Old May 20, 09, 1:37 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: ORD/MDW
Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Posts: 18,773
Has the OP ever rented a car before? The coverage decision is a standard part of the transaction. If you're mad at yourself for accepting expensive optional cover, that doesn't make Thrifty a criminal enterprise. It makes them good at upselling to the underinformed.
BearX220 is offline  
Old May 22, 09, 10:31 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,149
I don't think the pp have ever rented from Thrifty. Like most of us I always decline the optional coverage. Any other agency a simple no thank you is sufficient. Occasionally a representative will "hard sell" the benefits of getting coverage for "loss of use" but a no results in a contract without any extras.

I read about the Trifty "scam" prior to my rental and I read the entire contract. Thrifty is different. As soon as you say NO to optional coverage the representative says something like no problem, you just want the basic coverage. Most people would interpret that as agreeing to the coverage that's included in the rental price but Thrifty interprets your answer as requesting a lower level of optional coverage. Not every customer takes the time to read the fine print, although you should always read what you sign.

I want to thank the OP for the information. AFAIK Thrifty is the only agency where a NO answer from the customer is deceptively treated as a yes.

I doubt the previous posters ever heard this pitch. The presentation is deceptive and dishonest. Basically Thrifty is intentionally signing up a customer for something they said no to and is counting that a number of customers won't take the time to read the contract.

After I said no to everything I noted the gas guage read 7/8. When I complained I was told that's the way the guage reads when it was full. It read over F when I filled the tank, I took the time to wait in line and get a credit. I suspect most renters wouldn't take the time.

Last edited by lewisc; May 22, 09 at 10:37 am
lewisc is offline  
Old May 22, 09, 1:41 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York suburbs
Posts: 3,444
Nobody usually gives gas credit. I once received a TrailBlazer from my nearby Budget neighborhood office that was 1/2 full. I evidently misjudged the fuel economy and put in too much gas during my trip, because at return the gauge said 3/4 full. The agent said there is no refund for unused gas.
Auto Enthusiast is offline  
Old May 22, 09, 2:45 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,149
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast View Post
Nobody usually gives gas credit. I once received a TrailBlazer from my nearby Budget neighborhood office that was 1/2 full. I evidently misjudged the fuel economy and put in too much gas during my trip, because at return the gauge said 3/4 full. The agent said there is no refund for unused gas.
The gauge read 7/8 full when I picked up the car. I was told the tank was full and the that's what the gauge shows with a full tank. I made them put the 7/8 on the rental agreement. Alternately I was going to make them top off the tank.

No surprise when I gassed up and the gauge showed F. I didn't get a credit for unused gas, I got the credit because I wasn't given the full tank they claimed when I rented the car.

This was after I didn't fall for the "basic coverage" scam.

Last edited by lewisc; May 22, 09 at 2:51 pm
lewisc is offline  
Old May 23, 09, 8:02 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lexington KY/Coronado, CA
Posts: 861
Originally Posted by lewisc View Post

I want to thank the OP for the information. AFAIK Thrifty is the only agency where a NO answer from the customer is deceptively treated as a yes.
Just curious which Thrifty location you guys are renting from. I've rented from Thrifty many times in several cities and have never run into any headaches regarding the insurance.
SixAlpha is offline  
Old May 23, 09, 8:26 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Adelaide, South Australia AND Seattle, WA
Programs: Hilton, IHG, Choice, Alaska, Avianca, Japan Airlines
Posts: 4,366
Smile

G'day PRPerson,

Welcome to FT. - Sorry about the "blame the poster" culture you encountered so far.

Yeah - the agents know how to word their sales pitch to make it sound like you are declining the coverage when you pick "basic" when in fact your denial of the two choices given is in effect aceptance of optional coverage called "basic". It is slick and it is a rip off and I have seen it done many times to uninformed travelers.

It is a common marketing technique that is found where your two upsells are presented as if you must choose one of them. Mcdonalds advertises value meals for $4.99 and the lady will say something like "would you like medium or large fries and drinks?" Choosing one of the two will increase the price. If you want the $4.99 price, you need to say - no thanks, I will just have the small fries and small drink. A choice not presented to you. In effect a scam of ommision by presenting only 2 of the 3 possible choices.

Cheers, David

Last edited by davistev; May 23, 09 at 8:28 am Reason: sp.
davistev is offline  
Old May 23, 09, 8:32 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: PHX
Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 2,400
My customary practice is to say, as I'm laying my credit card & DL on the counter, 'No ins & I'll fill it myself'. I find this expedites things quite nicely since the agent knows not to even bother w/any of the upselling BS-just give me the keys & we'll both move on.
txrus is offline  
Old May 23, 09, 12:25 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,149
My experience was with the Las Vegas location but based on internet posts the scam isn't limited to that location.

The OP is providing useful information, it's a shame some people see the need to attack him. Sorry but a NO answer shouldn't result in optional insurance being added to the contract, with the hope the customer won't notice the deception until he returns the car. Dave--It's not a matter of being given two choices the agent is trained to "correct" the customer who says no insurance by adding on "basic" insurance and hope the customer doesn't read the contract.

My favorite pitch, I was renting from Alamo pickup TPA return at MCO. After I said no all the insurance they tried the gas plan. They told me there were no gas stations in Orlando. I laughed and asked what all the poor people in Orlando do when they run out of gas. She then said she meant there aren't any gas stations anywhere near the airport. I said I'd take my chances. Surprise--I found gas stations.
lewisc is offline  
Old May 26, 09, 11:25 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2
Thanks for the 'heads-up' everyone about deceitful Thrifty tactics. But so far no info on exactly what it is you need to do to avoid any and all insurance charges.

If denying the two choices is acceptance and accepting either of the two choices is acceptance, then how do you avoid the insurance charges?
Wander-lust is offline  
Old May 27, 09, 7:29 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: PHX
Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 2,400
Originally Posted by Wander-lust View Post
Thanks for the 'heads-up' everyone about deceitful Thrifty tactics. But so far no info on exactly what it is you need to do to avoid any and all insurance charges.

If denying the two choices is acceptance and accepting either of the two choices is acceptance, then how do you avoid the insurance charges?
See post #11 above.
txrus is offline  
Old May 27, 09, 7:38 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: BKK
Programs: AA Million Miler
Posts: 187
Full Ins AND Pre-pay

Since I only rent for business purposes, I get the Thrify insurance. The $440/wk the OP paid is pretty good. Mine is usually $100/day with the full insurance. I have also had to use the insurance 3 of the last 4 times I rented. If you accidentally hit something or something hits you...no worries. you're covered. Also, the previous rent, they "found" damage on the car that wasn't there at pick up. It was sketchy at best, but i was covered and didn't care. Insurance has its perks when it doesn't come from the Bank of Doakes.
Joseph.doakes is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread