LAS Experiences

Old Apr 5, 09, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

LAS Experiences

Any recent experiences with Thrifty at LAS? What cars are they typically giving as midsize or fullsize?
Old Apr 5, 09, 10:39 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
LAS is a corporate store, not a franchised location, and corporate stores share a nationwide fleet of primarily Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep vehicles.

I don't know the specifics at LAS, but I would expect a midsize to be a Dodge Avenger or Chrysler Sebring and a fullsize to be a Dodge Charger.

The odd Chevy or Ford may be mixed in, but these are relatively rare (except for the Ford Mustang convertible).

The http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thrif...ar-thread.html has some reports from LAS. One person was once given a Ford Fusion; the rest were Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep.
Old Apr 7, 09, 9:54 am

Programs: DL,HH,SPG,ICH,Thrifty,Hertz
Was there at the end of March. Reserved a compact and was given a Charger. They had quite a few there. The Consolidated Rental Car location was quick and convenient. If you are Blue Chip member you can proceed right to where the cars are parked too.
Old Jun 1, 09, 2:36 am

Programs: OneWorld Emeralds, Star Gold, SkyTeam Silver, Southwest A-List, VIP Car Renter, Hotel Elite
Wirelessly posted (FlyerTalk.com/wap is fun : BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.148 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Of many many rentals over the years, I can only recall getting a ford once. Its all chrysler/dodge at las.
Old Jul 12, 09, 7:04 am

No-show charge?

I was going to use a LAS Thrifty reservation as a back-up (Alamo with a questionable code is cheaper). However, I noticed the Thrifty Terms & Conditions state 'a one day charge for no show unless cancelled 24 hours prior to pick up', making my Thrifty reservation not much of a backup.

Anyone ever been charged the one-day penalty by Thrifty?
Old Jul 13, 09, 1:25 am
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by Train View Post
I was going to use a LAS Thrifty reservation as a back-up (Alamo with a questionable code is cheaper). However, I noticed the Thrifty Terms & Conditions state 'a one day charge for no show unless cancelled 24 hours prior to pick up', making my Thrifty reservation not much of a backup.

Anyone ever been charged the one-day penalty by Thrifty?
I assume you're referring to this line:

Credit card guaranty on advance reservations and one day charge for no show unless cancelled 24 hours prior to pick up. No one way offered with the rental. Driving restricted to the continental United State.
(sic...they should pay a copyeditor to go through and fix all these...)

Given that the site doesn't ask for your credit card information for any of the vehicle classes I selected (economy, SUV, and premium), it's kind of hard for them to charge you for a no-show.

I would interpret the above T&C line to mean that "on vehicles which require a credit card guarantee, you will be charged for a no-show unless your reservation is canceled 24 hours prior to pick-up." Since the basic vehicles don't require a credit card guarantee, this T&C line doesn't come into play. Usually if you have to give your card information, that's a flag that you may be charged for a no-show. (It probably does apply to the Style Series rentals, which are their luxury vehicles and do require a credit card guarantee IIRC.)
Old Jul 13, 09, 8:28 am

Programs: US Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert View Post
Wirelessly posted (FlyerTalk.com/wap is fun : BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.148 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Of many many rentals over the years, I can only recall getting a ford once. Its all chrysler/dodge at las.
I rented last month and got a Ford Explorer. They said Fords are starting to appear at that location. The lady who took my paperwork when I left the garage was convinced it wasn't even one of their cars.

Had about 10k miles on it. It was between that and a Jeep Compass with 40k miles on it.
Old Jul 15, 09, 1:57 am

Programs: OneWorld Emeralds, Star Gold, SkyTeam Silver, Southwest A-List, VIP Car Renter, Hotel Elite
Never seen a Ford there before, but have not rented from them since winter. Also, I have never been charged for no-show even though my Blue Chip profile has my cc in it.
Old Jul 27, 09, 8:38 pm

They had rows of PT Cruisers ready for any of the poor b4stards who were renting a compact/economy car that day.

I had a mid-size SUV, so I opted for a nifty Dodge Nitro. I pushed hard for the blue Toyota FJ Cruiser (a full size SUV) sitting next to it, but the express desk guy didn't seem interested in meeting my friend Abraham Lincoln.
Old Aug 25, 09, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Originally Posted by roughnready View Post
the express desk guy didn't seem interested in meeting my friend Abraham Lincoln.
You only offered him a PENNY?
Old Aug 25, 09, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by bobd46 View Post
Hehehehe
Old Sep 2, 09, 12:21 am

Programs: NWA, UA. Hilton Diamond
i book an astonishingly cheap compact and all they had left was a mini van or a convertible. i chose the latter. the rental person said they were booked and my car had been given away earlier and one had not been returned on time. for me!
Old Sep 2, 09, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by bobd46 View Post
hahaha indeed...well played

honestly, i would have given the lot attendant a $10 or $20 bill. the guys at the other LAS rental places seem more willing to play ball. Vegas is a town that revolves around winks, nudges, and tips, after all. once the sun goes down, a convertible is pretty much the best vehicle to have, assuming you left the wife and kids at home. the mustang convertible trunk is small and can hold one piece of luggage or two small children, at best.
Old Sep 8, 09, 11:51 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by roughnready View Post
They had rows of PT Cruisers ready for any of the poor b4stards who were renting a compact/economy car that day.

I had a mid-size SUV, so I opted for a nifty Dodge Nitro. I pushed hard for the blue Toyota FJ Cruiser (a full size SUV) sitting next to it, but the express desk guy didn't seem interested in meeting my friend Abraham Lincoln.
When I rented at THrify LAS in June, they were considering the PT Cruiser to be a Midsize...

They had just one person running the Blue Chip pickup line...what a joke..took her 5-10 minutes per customer to get them into a car...really sucked. I'm bypassing Thrify on my trip to LAS this month..
Old Oct 19, 09, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, IC Amb, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ View Post
...They had just one person running the Blue Chip pickup line...what a joke..took her 5-10 minutes per customer to get them into a car...really sucked. I'm bypassing Thrify on my trip to LAS this month..
So even as a Blue Chip member, you are saying be prepared to have to go to a counter ... and wait, correct?

Any other caveats based on recent experiences? Any hard sell to buy CDW or other insurance-like add-ons?

Search this Thread