OGG rental experience: cars in poor shape

Old Feb 9, 09, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
OGG rental experience: cars in poor shape

I just got back from a week trip to OGG (Maui, Hawaii, US) where I rented a car from Thrifty. Thrifty did a few things well at this station: Their airport shuttle ran very frequently, and their rental agents were both professional and courteous. The condition of their vehicles is another matter, however.

My first vehicle had squealing brakes. They were so bad that they squealed constantly, whether or not I had my foot on the brake pedal. In addition, all 4 of the tires had minimal tread left. They were barely legal and gave poor traction on wet roads. I returned this vehicle after 2 days.

My second vehicle had better brakes but suffered a flat tire. This tire also had barely legal tread remaining. I checked it after changing it and didn't see any particular puncture. It looked like it simply blew. One of the other tires was nearly bald, too. I returned this vehicle after replacing the flat.

My third vehicle had decent tread on all 4 tires but had warped rotors. The whole car shuddered when I applied the brakes. I kept this car 2 days only because that was the end of my rental period and I was frankly sick of driving back to the rental depot to swap vehicles.

All 3 cars had numerous dents and stained interiors.

I do not plan to rent from Thrifty again on future trips to OGG.
Old Feb 9, 09, 9:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
What vehicles were they and how many miles on them?
Old Feb 10, 09, 1:06 am
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
I'll agree with your statement about the frequent shuttle (very helpful when I was running late upon return!) and the courteous staff--actually, for a corporate location, I'd rate this staff among the best I've ever encountered.

But I'll have to add my own corollary to your experience with the cars. In August 2008, I picked up a 2008 (i.e. not old) Chrysler Sebring convertible Touring trim package (2.7L V6--much smoother--and heated leather seats--nice for that cold pre-dawn drive up Haleakala). I don't recall the mileage off the top of my head, but it wasn't excessive (15,000, maybe--I remember being surprised it was so high for such a small island) and the car was in fine condition--not brand sparking new, but no damage aside from a few minor paint chips.

Just my $.02...
Old Feb 18, 09, 9:03 pm

Programs: All expired (was CO PLAT & AA EXP).
My OGG Dodge Magnum had a flat tire

The car looked great though, and the tire wasn't bald.
I called AAA to fix the tire since I was on a slope without blocks.
Old Jul 12, 09, 8:57 pm

I have rented many times from OGG and the cars have always been rundown. I think they get abused by people because the terrian is a little rough when you do the road to Hana, the volcano, etc. Also I don't think they replace them often as it is expensive to ship new cars there. Just my thoughts
Old Jul 15, 09, 2:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Yeah I rented from Thrifty OGG about 3 weeks ago. The car was pretty rough'd up. They make you check that piece of paper for damage. I was forced to just scatter marks all over the picture of the car, to protect myself. Now that being said... if you think the OGG Thrifty is bad, TRY THE THRIFTY IN STT! WOW.

To be honest, I find most Thriftys pretty awful. I rent from Hertz, and I switch to Thrifty only when the rates are much lower with Thrifty.
Old Jul 16, 09, 11:07 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by hungarianhc View Post
They make you check that piece of paper for damage.
Isn't that what every rental car company does? The exception is Enterprise, who actually walks around the car with you, but every other company has always sent me out the door and said "if you find anything, mark it and come back in [or let the gate attendant at the exit know]."
Old Jul 17, 09, 9:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by randeve58 View Post
I have rented many times from OGG and the cars have always been rundown. I think they get abused by people because the terrian is a little rough when you do the road to Hana, the volcano, etc. Also I don't think they replace them often as it is expensive to ship new cars there. Just my thoughts
Heh, reminds me of a family trip to Maui years ago.

It was spring 2000 and I'm pretty sure we rented Thrifty. We had a minivan and a Dodge Stratus which both my uncles drove for the majority of the trip (whole extended family was there). One of them was fascinated with the AutoStick feature, as it was relatively new on Chryslers at the time. He loved revving it up to 6500 RPM and passing other cars, and then downshifting for red lights all the the way down to first. I'd be surprised if that car survived past it's next oil change.

The following year we had a Nissan Sentra in which my uncle resorted to shifting down to 1st for about 90% of the descent down Haleakala. I doubt that one survived the next rental...
Old Sep 16, 09, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Isn't that what every rental car company does? The exception is Enterprise, who actually walks around the car with you, but every other company has always sent me out the door and said "if you find anything, mark it and come back in [or let the gate attendant at the exit know]."
To me, enterprise is really kinda creepy in how they do things... I know its customer service and the brand... but I'm not 90 years old

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984 View Post
Heh, reminds me of a family trip to Maui years ago.

It was spring 2000 and I'm pretty sure we rented Thrifty. We had a minivan and a Dodge Stratus which both my uncles drove for the majority of the trip (whole extended family was there). One of them was fascinated with the AutoStick feature, as it was relatively new on Chryslers at the time. He loved revving it up to 6500 RPM and passing other cars, and then downshifting for red lights all the the way down to first. I'd be surprised if that car survived past it's next oil change.

The following year we had a Nissan Sentra in which my uncle resorted to shifting down to 1st for about 90% of the descent down Haleakala. I doubt that one survived the next rental...
OGG sure has a unique terrain... terrible for vehicles... from the 10K ascent/decent of Haleakala, then the corrosive salt of the Ocean, twisted road to Hana...

But it sure is fun!

Search this Thread