Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Thrifty | Blue Chip Rewards (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Hefty increase in frequent flyer "tax" effective 9/1/08

Old Aug 23, 08, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Just noticed in the "fine print" on my online reservation that effective 9/1/08, Thrifty is substantially increasing the previously nominal frequent flyer "tax". If you opt to get miles with your reservation, the charge for that "privilege" is no longer inconsequential, and it's charged on a per day basis. If you rent a car for one day, no big deal, but if you rent one for a couple of weeks, it could really add up. Just a heads up...
Old Sep 5, 08, 10:04 am

May I ask how much?

Thanks,

Sheila
Old Sep 5, 08, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by swilshire View Post
May I ask how much?

Thanks,

Sheila
Copied from the terms and conditions of a reservation at a random location:

# Eff. 9/1/08 For Southwest Frequent Flyer Program a surcharge of 1.50 per day up to a maximum of 8.00 will be collected at the time of rental when the renter chooses to receive frequent flyer miles
# Eff. 9/1/08 For Alaska, Continental and Delta FF programs, a surcharge of 0.95 per day will be collected at the time of rental when the renter chooses to receive frequent flyer miles.
# Eff. 9/1/08 For United Frequent Flyer program, a surcharge of 1.95 per day up to a max of 5.45 will be collected at the time of rental when the renter chooses to receive frequent flyer miles.
# Eff. 9/1/08 For U S Airways FF program a surcharge of 1.95 per day up to a maximim of 5.00 will be collected at the time of rental when the renter chooses to receive frequent flyer miles.
# Eff. 9/1/08 For Best Western, Hawaiian and Northwest FF programs a surcharge of 0.50 per day up to a maximum of 2.00 will be collected at the time of rental when the renter chooses to receive frequent flyer miles.
# Eff. 9/1/08 For American Airline Frequent Flyer program, a surcharge of 0.06 per day may apply when frequent flyer miles are requested.
The latter two bullets are unchanged from previous (Best Western, Hawaiian, Northwest, and American). The word is that DTAG is in negotiations with them, though, to see about increasing the charge. I'd expect those to go up in the next several months, too.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: