Early return (a few hours) -- what will they do?

Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by reddawngrl
Another suggestion to keep in mind, and one I have used, is this. Make no mention of having to return early when taking the car. When you do return early, simply state something urgent has come up and you need to catch an early flight home, OR, the airline has changed your flight time to earlier so you have no choice. That is if you don't mind lying, which kinda is a given when your trying to work the system to avoid some fees.
Actually, I believe the early return penalty only kicks in if you return before your rental agreement expires. The early-return penalty is to discourage you from telling Thrifty you'll keep the car for three weeks, have Thrifty factor that into their availability calculations, and then only keep it for two days and leave a car unprofitably sitting on their lot. If you notify them in advance (i.e. at the time of rental) that you'll be returning it early, that gives them a chance to recalculate availability and take an additional reservation (not literally to take one extra reservation--they can't plan it that closely--but the collective spread of 20 or 30 other people doing the same thing would make a difference in rate and availability calculation). So by notifying them at the time of rental, you should avoid the early-return fee (if it is still being charged), and I doubt they'll recalculate the rate on you (the rental computer system is not tied directly into the reservation system, so date changes shouldn't force rate changes).

However, I can't verify any of this information personally...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.