The Consolidated Wild Card Thread

Old Feb 6, 2011, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by alamedaguy
How funny. I see your rates for 9am to 9am, but different rates (with the discrepancy) from 10pm to 7pm. Thanks for looking.
Hmm, yes. Odd.

Not sure what to say, other than that it's probably a mistake on behalf of the rate desk.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:49 pm

I checked again this evening and the wild card rate had come down $20 to below the mid-size rate. I'll try to remember to report back on what we get.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:07 am

Our LAS Wild Card turned out to be a Grand Marquis. It guzzled gas, but used E85 (of which I had never heard) so at least it was a little cheaper. Although that may have contributed to the poor mileage, I guess.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Our LAS Wild Card turned out to be a Grand Marquis. It guzzled gas, but used E85 (of which I had never heard) so at least it was a little cheaper. Although that may have contributed to the poor mileage, I guess.
E85 is an ethanol-based fuel replacement. Engines with the E85 sticker are dual-mode and can run both on E85 or regular gasoline. You do not need to use E85; it is optional.

E85 has less potential energy than an equivalent volume of gasoline, but as you indicated, it is usually a bit cheaper than gas, so it comes out about even.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Hyundai Sonata @ ABQ

A Hyundai Sonata was what I got for my "wild car" rate last week at ABQ.

I didn't bother to note its mileage, but its Sirrus radio was still active.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:09 pm

Rented Wild Card at ATL last week, got a moderately equipped Impala - CD, wheels, fog lights, power seat, etc. Had 4 miles on it when I took delivery, the new car smell is nice even on such a bland box. No complaints, not my first pick but being brand new is cool.

Sadly, in the hotel parking lot the first night someone scraped the front bumper...we'll see how the Amex insurance handles it, I filed the claim and reported it to Thrifty the next morning when I noticed it The agent who I returned the car to didn't even notice, but I suspect it would have been caught eventually.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 7:14 am

Ford Fusion at IAD and IND in January,
Chevy Malibu at IND in February and BWI in March,
Nissan Cube at ONT in February,
Kia Soul at IND in March
Kia Sedona minivan at IND second trip
Old Mar 20, 2011, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docr775
Ford Fusion at IAD and IND in January,
Chevy Malibu at IND in February and BWI in March,
Nissan Cube at ONT in February,
Kia Soul at IND in March
Kia Sedona minivan at IND second trip
Thanks for the long list of updates! First post updated.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Thanks for the long list of updates! First post updated.
You are welcome. I am taking advantage of Thrifty's low prices and the USAir 1500 miles bonus for every rental of 2 days or more. It gives me about an extra 4500 to 6000 a month!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:35 am
Suspended

The Grand Marquis is, bar none, the scariest car I have ever gotten from Thrifty. It is all blind spots, gets squirrley at about 75mph, and requires a loooong time to stop. You have to lean forward and nearly touch your toes to tune the radio.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by docr775
You are welcome. I am taking advantage of Thrifty's low prices and the USAir 1500 miles bonus for every rental of 2 days or more. It gives me about an extra 4500 to 6000 a month!
FYI you pay extra at Thrifty for that. 2 dollars a day. Worth it, if your boss doesn't notice.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by pinworm
FYI you pay extra at Thrifty for that. 2 dollars a day. Worth it, if your boss doesn't notice.
I am self employed, so yeah my boss notices that I pay $1.50 a day for those miles. I like the fact that I got 100K US miles for about $180 in fees above the car rentals that I already needed. 100K US miles got me a biz ticket on LH that would have set me back $3500 (with advanced purchase of more than 50 days prior to departure) or $8500 if less than 30 days to departure. I would say that is a pretty good return on my $1.50 a day.

Plus I use EBates as a starting portal for making reservations for the the 3.5% cash back, and I get back some of those FF fees:

01/29/2011 Thrifty Car Rental FCDLNW $38.42 $1.34
11/22/2010 Thrifty Car Rental FBCC4X $72.45 $2.54

Last edited by docr775; Mar 26, 2011 at 9:14 pm
Old Apr 7, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, IHG Gold, AAdvantage. DL Skymiles
MCO

Chose from Specialty area and selected Ford Explorer with Sirius and 5K miles. Other Choices included Jeep Patriot and Grand Marquis.

This surprised me as the Midsize area was completely full.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by PIThawk
MCO

Chose from Specialty area and selected Ford Explorer with Sirius and 5K miles. Other Choices included Jeep Patriot and Grand Marquis.

This surprised me as the Midsize area was completely full.
An SJU, all they had were mid-size cars, so that's what I got (Mitsubishi Lancer). Would not recommend using Wild Card here. However, I think it worked out for the best since the roads and parking spots in San Juan are so narrow!
Old May 6, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
When did the wild card offer change from a mid-size and up to a compact and up?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.