Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated Wild Card Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2008, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
I just signed up for Blue Chip today, and I have a 5-day retro credit coming to me and another 5-day rentla in September...10 down, 6 to go. Does anyone have an idea what the "or similar" choice usually is in the convertible category in a nice-weather market (MCO)? My mother had a Sebring convertible, and I didn't feel comfortable driving it. I have a Wild res on hold, but I'm considering changing it to a convertible if I have reasonable odds of getting something i like.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
I just signed up for Blue Chip today, and I have a 5-day retro credit coming to me and another 5-day rentla in September...10 down, 6 to go. Does anyone have an idea what the "or similar" choice usually is in the convertible category in a nice-weather market (MCO)? My mother had a Sebring convertible, and I didn't feel comfortable driving it. I have a Wild res on hold, but I'm considering changing it to a convertible if I have reasonable odds of getting something i like.
The only three convertibles I've encountered at Thrifty are Sebring convertibles, Mustang convertibles, and PT Cruiser convertibles (don't know specifically about MCO, but they're corporate, and corporate locations have similar fleets, since cars move between locations all the time). All are pretty decent choices, though I'm not much of a convertible guy.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 7:09 am

Programs: National Elite. that is all...
Originally Posted by jackal
The only three convertibles I've encountered at Thrifty are Sebring convertibles, Mustang convertibles, and PT Cruiser convertibles (don't know specifically about MCO, but they're corporate, and corporate locations have similar fleets, since cars move between locations all the time). All are pretty decent choices, though I'm not much of a convertible guy.
you are correct my friend..i think i saw a minicooper convertable but that would be in a class of its own..

Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
4/3/08 got a Jeep Liberty at DFW
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:10 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Silver VIP, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
We were given a late model, 5,600-mile Dodge Charger at BDL on 4/26/08. Not too bad, except they were out of GPS navigation systems, and we had to pick one up at PVD (en route to Newport, RI). Oh, and BDL closes at 1 AM.
Old May 4, 2008, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Hilton - Diamond, Starwood - Plat
BWI
5/2/08
had wild card and got a PT Cruiser.

gee, whoopie.

plenty of chargers and 300's on the lot and was given zero choice. handed the keys and told to leave.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I'll be wilding for Mrs BamaVol at BDL in August. It's an opportunity to save a few bucks on a weeks rental. My only worry is that she's offered a pickup truck. There are 3 adults on the trip and that's not gonna cut it. Anything else will be great, I'm sure. Any experience at BDL?
Old Jun 2, 2008, 5:36 pm

Programs: CO Gold, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Select
In Denver last week was given a Dodge Durango with less than 1000 miles on it. Nice, smooth ride, but would hate to pay that on that all the time. I think it cost me more to fill up the gas tank when returning it (I used only about 1/4 tank) then the rental cost itself!
Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:40 am

Programs: National Elite. that is all...
Originally Posted by Trojans11
In Denver last week was given a Dodge Durango with less than 1000 miles on it. Nice, smooth ride, but would hate to pay that on that all the time. I think it cost me more to fill up the gas tank when returning it (I used only about 1/4 tank) then the rental cost itself!
you shouldve had them pay you to rent that
Old Jun 5, 2008, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by thecourtside
you shouldve had them pay you to rent that
No kidding. If it was my dollar I would not have liked it but since it was on the company dime it was not a big deal. Funny thing was they had very few mid-size or full size cars even on the lot. Lots of Durangos and Cherokees that no one wants. How times have changed.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Yeah, I remember in the "olden" days (even three or four years ago) when a free upgrade to a nice SUV was a desirable thing.

Now, people scream and yell when the economy car they reserved isn't available and they're given a free upgrade to the compact car.

I think the rental industry is going to have to change their business model, but I'm not entirely sure how. (Maybe reverse the scale so that SUVs are the cheapest and economies are the most expensive? ) Most likely it will involve adopting the model most hotels use and start charging for cancellations (at least a one-day penalty, if not the entire rental), so that they can afford to overbook less heavily.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: DL Plat, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold
Dca

DCA 4/16/08 - Chrysler Town and Country
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:19 pm

Programs: hardly any
A Grand Marquis

In West Palm Beach, FL (airport), for the two-week period beginning July 15, I received a Grand Marquis as my wild-card. Good thing for Thrifty that the Grand Marquis is actually the car that I own at home. The car had 11,000 miles on it.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 2:56 pm

LAS Wild Card

Two weeks ago in LAS received Chrysler Pacifica. Nice car, but was only in town for 8 hours. Did not need the car much except to go from airport to a customer in Henderson, to lunch, and later back to the airport.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL,HH,SPG,ICH,Thrifty,Hertz
HNL Wild Car

Anyone have any experience in HNL with a Wild Car? Going to be there end of Aug. for five days. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.