WORST EXPERIENCE AT YEG (Edmonton)

Old May 20, 14, 1:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
WORST EXPERIENCE AT YEG (Edmonton)

This is the letter I sent to Thrifty. The reservation was made for Mrs. kaaria, and this is what she experienced, but I sent the letter as I took care of the reservations. Normally we rent from National, but the 5 day rental at National would have been about $250.

Hello,

I must tell you about the simply awful rental experience I had at one of your locations.

I made a reservation ###### for a rental at your Edmonton airport location. The reservation clearly stated $1 per day for 4 days, then $36 for the final day UNLIMITED MILEAGE. The total should have been $40 plus taxes and fees, so about $70 today for the five days.

I was traveling with two small kids and we took the shuttle to the off location site. Upon arrival, we were told they would not honor the reserved rate. If we wanted to keep the $1 rate, then we would have to pay $0.51 per kilometer. To me, that is unacceptable, we tried to negotiate a lower rate, but were told no. They would NOT honor the reserved rate and told us if we wanted unlimited mileage, the rate would be $71 per day, so over the five day rental period, over $350 not the $70 we reserved. I was very upset and even contacted the toll free Thrifty reservation number. They told me they can confirm our reservation was unlimited mileage, and to speak to the manager on duty. I spoke to the manager, but he said they could not honor the confirmed rate.

Why make a reservation when you are not going to get your rate honored but switched? While I understand this may be a franchised location, they are giving Thrifty a bad reputation. If the location is a franchised location, the franchisor, should be reprimanded as I was told this was not the first time this sort of thing happened at this location. I will not rent from you again, furthermore, I will be telling all of my friends and family about the bait and switch in all social media such as facebook, yelp, trip advisor, and twitter.

If it was a mistake rate, they should have honored it or at the very least should have in the days if not weeks before the reservation, contacted me to let me know they would not honor the rate. To come to the location at 10:30pm being tired with two kids and then be told the rate would not be honored is unacceptable. I had to disturb my elderly father to get out of bed, and come pick us up. We had to get back on the airport shuttle and be dropped back to the airport so that my father could pick us up.

I rented a car the next day from National which resulted in my father having to take me to the airport once again and costing me $75 for the four days.

As you can see we were severely inconvenienced. We not only wasted hours at the airport, but wasted gas having my elderly father coming to pick my kids and I up as well as dropping us the next day to pickup the car.

Sincerely,
kaaria

In the end this is a notice that if you are renting in YEG from Thrifty and the rate seems too good to be true, then have a back up plan because this location probably will not honor the rate.
Old May 24, 14, 10:21 am

Old saying - If it seems to be too good to be true, it probably is. You really did not think you were going to be actually able to rent a car for a $1 a day?
Old May 25, 14, 12:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
Originally Posted by fpmurphy View Post
Old saying - If it seems to be too good to be true, it probably is. You really did not think you were going to be actually able to rent a car for a $1 a day?
Well, actually yes, I was expecting them to honor the rate. Similarly both United and Delta had a mistake rates about a year ago where flights were incredibly cheap. Those rates were honored.

At the very least they could have called to say they are not honoring the rate. It is not like they didn't know about the low rate on the pick up day.
Old Jun 7, 14, 5:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
I can tell you that it's not a mistake rate. They've been offering the $1/day weekend rate on Economy cars for a while. I do recall seeing unlimited mileage, but also do recall seeing a per km charge later as well. My guess is when the extra day was added it defaulted to unlimited mileage "by mistake" (not your fault that is), but the location intended the $1 rate to have a mileage charge.

Search this Thread